BCS Meetings Football

Updated: BCS recommends a four-team playoff in 2014

39 Comments

UPDATED 4/26 @ 2:45 p.m. ET: To steal a line from SI’s Andy Staples: happy V-BCS day.

In an announcement that is surprising to probably no one, yet is nevertheless important, the BCS has recommended that there be a playoff in major college football beginning in 2014.

Or, a four-team event. Whatever. I don’t care. It’s a playoff.

The BCS announced Wednesday that there are between two and seven variations of a four-team playoff being considered, with plus-one, eight-team and 16-team options officially off the table (for now).

It’s also worth noting the three-semifinal option (i.e., the Rose Bowl plan) has been given the pink slip as well.

How the selections for the four teams will be made, not to mention other logistics, are still to be determined, but we do know that automatic qualifying status is officially dead starting in 2014, according to BCS executive director Bill Hancock.

We’ll have more on this later, but for now, we want to hear your thoughts on the decision:

—————

No one is quite sure yet — not even the BCS committee — what major college football’s postseason will look like in the foreseeable future.

One thing is for sure, though. It won’t look like the current system.

Thank. You.

On the first of a two-day set of meetings over the BCS/playoff discussion, college football got perhaps its most explicit news to date regarding how a national champion will be decided.

Of all people, the news came from BCS executive director, Bill Hancock.

I can officially say that the status quo is off the table,” Hancock (pictured) said. “The BCS as we know it with the exact same policies will not continue.”

Meanwhile, Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports and many others with a brain rejoice in the streets.

The BCS committee, composed of all 11 conference commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick, has been whittling down as many as 50-60 postseason ideas since January with a final decision expected to be made in July.

Earlier this month, the committee announced it had narrowed discussions into four primary preferences. Of those four, it appears a true plus-one or a “four team event” (which is really a playoff for normal people like you and me, but a four-letter word for BCS supporters) with semifinal games hosted at neutral locations are the most likely choices — with an emphasis on the latter.

But don’t get too ahead of yourself. Selection criteria (the BCS committee spent four hours going over that today) and the definition of “neutral” (in other words, does neutral mean a bowl game site? A site bid? A combination?)  are still some of the items up for debate. The 11 BCS committee members will reportedly take two or three “finalist” ideas back to their conferences for further discussion.

Although it sounds as though the primary options have been decided.

Ex-Miami, current Charlotte QB Kevin Olsen arrested on felony rape charges

PHILADELPHIA, PA - SEPTEMBER 24: Kevin Olsen #2 of the Charlotte 49ers throws a pass in the second quarter against the Temple Owls at Lincoln Financial Field on September 24, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It was thought that Kevin Olsen had hit rock bottom a couple of years ago.  Based on what transpired earlier today, it’s time to rethink that stance.

According to the Charlotte Observer, Olsen was arrested Sunday afternoon on multiple charges.  Specifically, the Charlotte 49ers quarterback was charged with felony second-degree forcible rape, cyberstalking, assault on a female and second-degree forced sex.

From the Observer‘s report:

A statement released by UNC Charlotte said that the allegations against Olsen “appear to involve sexual assault within an existing relationship.”

UNC Charlotte said it had been in communication with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police following the arrest Sunday afternoon. Allegations in the case stemmed from an incident that occurred off campus, the university said, but provided no details.

As a result of the arrest, Olsen has been suspended by his latest football program.

The younger brother of former Hurricanes standout and current Carolina Panthers tight end Greg Olsen, Kevin Olsen was a four-star member of Miami’s 2013 recruiting class, rated as the No. 12 pro-style quarterback in the country.

In September of 2014, Olsen was arrested and charged with driving under the influence and possession of a stolen or fictitious driver’s license following a traffic stop. That off-field misstep came a month and a half after it was reported Olsen would be suspended for the opener, reportedly for failing a drug test.

In mid-September, after the arrest and on the heels of what were multiple suspensions, UM announced that Olsen was “no longer a student at the University of Miami.” In December of 2014, Olsen announced that he would be transferring to Towson; he was kicked off that team for violating unspecified team rules before he ever played a down for the FCS program.

After spending the 2015 season at a California junior college, Olsen transferred to Charlotte.  Olsen passed for 842 yards and six touchdowns in his first, and potentially only, season with the 49ers this past year.

Alabama fan launches campaign to have new offensive coordinator’s name changed to “Run” Daboll

TAMPA, FL - JANUARY 09:  Running back Bo Scarbrough #9 of the Alabama Crimson Tide rushes for a 25-yard touchdown during the first quarter against the Clemson Tigers in the 2017 College Football Playoff National Championship Game at Raymond James Stadium on January 9, 2017 in Tampa, Florida.  (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images
6 Comments

Forget about pass-heavy offensive systems. One Alabama fan is making it pretty clear all he wants new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll to do is run the ball. He’s even going so far as to launch an online campaign to have the new Tide coordinator’s name changed to “Run Daboll.”

Alabama fan Bobby Wesson has opened up a petition on Change.org to collect digital signatures. As of this posting, the petition had just 92 supporters, but it was just hoping to reach 100 supporters.

“Imagine what the Alabama offense would look like on Saturdays if Brian Daboll heard “RUN DABOLL” 7 days a week,” Wesson says in his petition. “Imagine a world with Nick Saban yelling “RUN DABOLL” at Brian on the field instead of you yelling it at him through the television. Imagine 3rd and 3 and a stadium screaming as [Bo Scarbrough] breaks down the field for it all because “Run Daboll” called RUN DA BALL.”

The imagery here is dazzling.

If there is one thing Alabama is generally good at doing, it is running the football. With a healthy stable of running backs that would have options capable of starting at almost any other program in the country and one of the best offensive line sin the sport, why wouldn’t Alabama want to run the ball?

Unfortunately, it doesn’t exactly work like that, but this is humorous enough. It can be his nickname, however, and we suspect that may have a chance to catch on if things go according to plan for this Alabama fan.

WATCH: FSU QB Deondre Francois throws football over giant frat house

MIAMI GARDENS, FL - DECEMBER 30:  Deondre Francois #12 of the Florida State Seminoles scores a touchdown in the fourth quarteragainst the Michigan Wolverines  during the Capitol One Orange Bowl at Sun Life Stadium on December 30, 2016 in Miami Gardens, Florida.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images
3 Comments

Today in acts of feats of strength, we have Florid aState quarterback Deondre Francois showing off his strong arm.

Francois was captured on video launching a football over large fraternity house, which was met with wild applause from the frat bros on hand to observe the demonstration.

According to SB Nation, this particular fraternity house claims to be the largest of its kind in the nation, so Francois being able to throw the football over it is no small task. Of course, this may just be an FSU tradition, as Jameis Winston once performed the same accomplishment as well. Add this one to the preseason Heisman hype film reel for Francois.

[SB Nation]

Colorado hires lawyers behind Pepper Hamilton report to investigate Joe Tumpkin response

DENVER - AUGUST 30:  A University of Colorado Buffaloes fag is brought onto the field during the game against the Colorado State University Rams at Invesco Field at Mile High on August 30, 2003 in Denver, Colorado. Colorado defeated Colorado State 42-35. (Photo by Brian Bahr/Getty Images)
Getty Images
3 Comments

Joe Tumpkin is no longer with the Colorado football program, but the Buffaloes are still sorting through the way he left.

To recap: The longtime girlfriend of Tumpkin called head coach Mike MacIntyre in early December to inform him of a pattern of abuse from his safeties coach, which she later told investigators occurred more than 100 times over a 21-month period. According to the woman’s account given to Sports Illustrated — which the school has not denied — MacIntyre and the woman spoke a couple of times with the coach pledging to handle the situation until the line of communication went dead.

In the meantime, Tumpkin remained on staff and was promoted to interim defensive coordinator for the late-December Alamo Bowl after Jim Leavitt left for Oregon. MacIntyre suspended Tumpkin in mid-January, and Tumpkin resigned a couple weeks after that after a restraining order was filed against him.

However, the SI story created a level of blowback in Boulder that prompted MacIntyre to issue a statement defending the program’s response to the situation.

Still, the CU Board of Regents felt necessary to delay the approval of MacIntyre’s announced extension, and on Friday announced they have hired the two lawyers behind the Pepper Hamilton report that sunk Baylor’s leadership to probe the school’s response to the Tumpkin allegations.

“We are looking at what occurred and when, if our policies were violated, or whether those policies should be modified to better explain the reporting (requirements),” CU Board of Regents Chair Irene Griego said in a statement, via the Boulder Daily Camera.

The probe will be conducted by Leslie Gomez and Gina Maisto Smith, a pair of former Philadelphia prosecutors who now work for the Cozen O’Connor law firm in Philly. At center of their investigation will be whether MacIntyre, AD Rick George and chancellor Phil DeStefano followed the university’s protocol for reporting sexual assault.

Still, Greigo noted the pair’s hiring doesn’t indicate a predetermined outcome one way or the other.

“Let me be clear, in no way should this decision to wait be viewed as an indication that the Board of Regents has determined that any employee violated a policy or that any disciplinary action is warranted,” Griego said. “We are simply being prudent.”