Updated: WAC now reportedly on MEGA life support (again)

UPDATED 4/30 @ 7:20 p.m. ET: You never want to say for sure a conference is dead until it is — right, Big 12? — but the WAC seems to be fading from existence on a day-to-day basis.

Not one day after reports surfaced linking two current WAC members — Utah State and San Jose State — to the Mountain West, another future WAC member, Texas State, is also being connected to what is amounting to a mass exodus from the conference.

BobcatReport, a Rivals.com affiliate for TSU, is reporting that the Bobcats, entering the 1-A world this year, will instead make the Sun Belt their permanent home beginning in 2013. The move is said to be a replacement for North Texas, which could make a move to Conference USA.

Hopefully, y’all should know how the realignment news works by now: a lot of “sources”; a lot of “reports.” That’s not to say we have any reason to doubt the fellas at BobcatReport, but when things begin picking up like this, a disclaimer is often needed.

If the report holds true, however, the WAC as we know it is rapidly dissolving and the future of two members — Idaho and New Mexico State — remain very much undetermined.

UPDATED 4/29 @ 9:50 p.m. ET: Highlight. Copy. Paste. The WAC is reportedly on life support once again.

Just days after CBSSports reported (see below) that Conference USA was close to adding UT-San Antonio, a former 1-AA program that is supposed to be headed for the WAC, more reports are surfacing that the Mountain West is also on the verge of plucking more teams from its beleaguered western athletic counterpart.

The San Jose Mercury News and the Salt Lake Tribune report that San Jose State and Utah State are indeed close to joining the Mountain West, with the former article indicating an invite could come for the Spartans this week for the 2013-14 season.

If/when this becomes official, it would be a huge blow to a conference standing on shaky ground. The WAC is already losing Hawaii, Fresno State and Nevada to the MWC and could lose four more members if reports about UTSA, SJSU, USU and Louisiana Tech (to C-USA) come to fruition.

In other words, the WAC could eventually be down to Idaho, New Mexico State and Texas State in the not-too-distant future.

WACBelt, anyone?

—————–

With Conference USA and the Mountain West apparently staying as two separate leagues for the immediate future, the two conferences now must plug the holes left by respective members leaving for the Big East.

C-USA looks like they’re getting the ball rolling in that department.

Brett McMurphy of CBSSports confirmed that UT-San Antonio will join C-USA in 2013, pending approval from the University of Texas System Board of Regents on Wednesday. RowdyReport.com first reported that accepting an invitation to C-USA was on the UT Board of Regents’ agenda.

Conversations between the two sides reportedly began in March.

The Roadrunners, along with fellow former 1-AA member Texas State, were originally planning to join the WAC, which means the beleaguered non- AQ league could now be down yet another member. Additionally, current WAC schools Utah State and San Jose State remain strong candidates to join the Mountain West, with Louisiana Tech as another option for C-USA.

If UTSA does join C-USA instead of the WAC, it would be a situation similar to TCU standing up the Big East for the Big 12. UTSA would not have to pay any exit fee for such a move, only a $2 million entry fee to C-USA (note that TCU did pay an exit fee to the Big East, but did not wait the required 27 months to leave the conference according to the league bylaws).

North Texas and FIU also remain on C-USA’s radar. Earlier this week, UNT gave president Lane Rawlins the authority to look at other conferences and make a move should the opportunity present itself, an important move along the chain of events for a school to join another conference.

There’s no exit fee should one or both of those teams leave the Sun Belt, but each could forfeit approximately $500,000 in revenue sharing.

Given the timetable for entry (2013), I would expect something official regarding all this potential moving and shaking over the next couple months.

Infant son of D’Onta Foreman passed away during Texas’ 2016 season

As a father five times over, I simply can’t imagine doing what D'Onta Foreman did last season.

On the field, the Texas running back was an absolute beast.  He led the nation in rushing yards per game at 184.4 — next closest was San Diego State’s Donnell Pumphrey at 152.4 — while his 2,028 total rushing yards were second to Pumphrey (2,133).  On Nov. 5 against Texas Tech, Foreman ran for 341 yards, the third-highest total in Longhorns history.

In a profile that appeared on the NFL Network, Foreman revealed that, unbeknownst to those outside of the football program, his girlfriend gave birth to a baby boy on Sept. 16.  His son was born premature and weighed just 15 ounces at birth; 50 days later, the infant passed away — not long after Foreman’s historic performance against Tech.

In fact, Foreman learned of his son’s death as he was driving back to the hospital in Texas City after the game to be with him.

From HookEm.com‘s transcription of his interview with the NFL Network:

I always dreamed of having a boy and naming him after me and you know, just seeing him grow. You know, just loving him.

“He was a fighter, you know. He would like fight and he’s going to make it and everything will be fine.”

“I really didn’t know how to feel. I was like numb. I was driving and then I was crying while I was driving. I was crushed and I was so hurt. I feel like something was taken away from me before I even really got the chance to experience it.

While nothing can ever replace Foreman’s loss, there is a silver lining in his story as the back’s girlfriend is again pregnant.  The due date?  The same day D’Onta Vanton Foreman Jr. was born.

Foreman Sr. is one of the players who are part of the pool for the NFL draft, which will take place this Thursday in Philadelphia.

Via Twitter, safety Jordan Fogal says he’s leaving Utah