Registered sex offender creates recruiting stir at Ohio State

Charles Waugh

There are some words you’d never think would be strung together to create a headline on a college football blog. The above is Exhibit A for that sentiment.  And B and C and a couple other letters as well

In one of the more bizarrely creepy — or creepily bizarre, if you prefer — stories of this or any other offseason, a registered sex offender in the state of Kentucky has apparently cost Ohio State a highly-touted recruit, at least for the moment.

At OSU’s spring game April 21, Pennsylvania high school linebacker Alex Anzalone, a four-star player in the Class of 2013 and the No. 16 outside LB in the country according to Rivals.com, verbally committed to the Buckeyes.  The night of that spring game, Anzalone, along with several recruits visiting the campus, posed for pictures with Charles Waugh, a 31-year-old “man” and the registered sex offender in question.

Shortly after those pictures were taken, Waugh, who in 2008 pleaded guilty to five counts of possession of matter portraying sexual performances by minors, posted them to his various social media accounts as well as sending messages to the recruits via Twitter.  At some point in the ensuing two weeks, Anzalone became aware of Waugh’s past and was “creeped out” per his father, leading to his decommitment at the urging of his dad.

On Friday, as the controversy began to grow, OSU released a statement addressing the issue.

“The issue surrounding the individual from Kentucky is being treated by the Department of Athletics as a student-athlete welfare issue. When the University became aware that this individual had been seen in pictures – taken in public places – with student-athletes, proactive precautions were taken and the Department of Athletics alerted more than 1,000 Ohio State student-athletes about this person. The email message also reminded them of the negative implications that can be realized through simple associations on social networking sites. This individual is not associated with Ohio State. He is not a booster. He has not engaged in any activities on behalf of the University. The Department of Athletics will continue to monitor this issue and it will remain proactive in its efforts with regard to precautions for its student-athletes.”

Along with the statement, an email sent from OSU’s compliance department to student-athletes warning them of Waugh contained a mugshot of the individual as well as links to informational sites about how to block Twitter and Facebook users, the Daily Lantern, the OSU student newspaper which originally broke the story, wrote.

Even as Anzalone’s father urged his son to backtrack on his verbal commitment to the Buckeyes, the father also wanted to make it clear that he does not blame the OSU football program or the coaching staff for his son’s on-campus encounter with the convicted sex offender.

Ohio State had no idea that this guy was a perv,” Dr. Sal Anzalone told ESPN.com. “They were totally unaware. Let’s make that very clear. That’s not Ohio State.

“But Alex was creeped out by him. He thought something was wrong. Alex wasn’t going to get hurt. Alex could knock him out. But the point is, this creep shouldn’t be near recruits.”

With his recruitment reopen, Anzalone will once again consider USC, Penn State, Notre Dame, Florida and Stanford, with the latter two perceived as the current front-runners.  Oh, and there’s one more school Anzalone will consider: Ohio State.

That’s right.  The elder Anzalone left the door open for a a second verbal commitment to the Columbus school by his son.

“It’s a possibility,” Sal Anzalone said. “Things change. You can’t hold them responsible for other people’s behavior.”

(Photo credit: Kentucky State Police Sex Offender Registry website)

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Big Ten Conference, Florida Gators, Independents, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Ohio State Buckeyes, Pac-12 Conference, Penn State Nittany Lions, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Stanford Cardinal, Top Posts, USC Trojans
23 Responses to “Registered sex offender creates recruiting stir at Ohio State”
  1. garryjercia says: May 5, 2012 8:03 AM

Good call. Now he can goto a school where there are no creeps around.

2. orthomarine says: May 5, 2012 8:24 AM

Man, from the title I though Sandusky applied for the defense coordinator position

3. deadeye says: May 5, 2012 8:54 AM

“With his recruitment reopen, Anzalone will once again consider USC, Penn State, Notre Dame, Florida and Stanford, with the latter two perceived as the current front-runners.”

=============================

I can’t believe this recruit is considering PSU after this registered sex offender incident.

4. addict2sport says: May 5, 2012 9:11 AM

So he’s so bothered by the registered sex offender thing that he’s considering Penn St and he’s willing to reconsider the school that gave him reason for concern.

5. woebegong says: May 5, 2012 9:44 AM

Sounds a a little like being over protective on his fathers part and pushing the panic button a little too fast by OU. I don’t care where you play ball or in what part of the country it is, perverts are everywhere. I do not see the big tragedy involved in all of this. I just hope they can obtain some type of court order against that idiot that doesn’t allow him to do that again, with another persons image without getting permission. That is probably not possible in today’s freedom and information high way, but the father posting that the kid could have beat him up, isn’t exactly the smartest thing he could do either. If the kid wants to go to Ohio, let him go. Guilt by association is just plain stupid in this case. It is not like the kid is going to end up a pervert, just because he met a pervert, whom I am sure he was not even aware of one time.

6. polegojim says: May 5, 2012 10:07 AM

Guilty by association IS what NCAA football should be concerned about.

Sounds like the young men got caught up in their first anticipated taste of fame…

Hopefully lesson learned

7. jimbo75025 says: May 5, 2012 11:17 AM

If this guy is a registered sex offender, would he not have to get an OK for an out of state trip and have a durn good reason for making said trip? Going to a college football game err scrimmage where there will no doubt be plenty of kids around with their alumni parents does not seem like something that would be approved by a PO. Sounds like somebody could have some ‘splaining to do (in by best Ricky Ricardo voice).

8. glestonsimmons says: May 5, 2012 11:54 AM

Bestow your needed wisdom on this matter, Elwood G. Gee.

9. dominator71030 says: May 5, 2012 12:25 PM

Why was this Anzalone posing for the guy in the first place? I doubt the sex offender has strength over these football athletes.

10. drjem says: May 5, 2012 12:38 PM

TO: orthomarine….When I read the headlines, I too thought Sandusky had applied for the “Head Coach” position!

11. cbass59 says: May 5, 2012 12:41 PM

Here’s a tip for all college recruits: Don’t have your picture taken with weird, fat guys.

It should seem odd when a grown man wants to have his picture taken with high school boys (that’s not normal).

12. fatfreddystubbs says: May 5, 2012 12:42 PM

Stuff like this is why people can’t always jump to conclusions that an athlete is a jerk if he refuses a fan’s request for a picture. yeah, a lot of them are jerks but you have no idea no idea who it is, and it can end up causing major headaches.

I once saw an interview with Grant Hill and he was saying that when he was a rookie in Detroit, he was out to dinner and a fan asked for a picture, Grant obliged, and it turned out the guy was one of the biggest drug kingpins in detroit.

Now, since he’s Grant Hill it didn’t blow up quite like it could have because people were willing to give Grant Hill the benefit of the doubt that he doesn’t hang out with drug kingpins, but other athletes might not be so lucky.

13. latchbeam says: May 5, 2012 1:05 PM

If this guy ends up at Penn State…

14. cbfour says: May 5, 2012 1:23 PM

Over reaction to being at the wrong place and meeting a bad person. Unfortunately there are these people in every city in the US. Can’t believe they are considering a university that protected a sex offender for years.

15. Deb says: May 5, 2012 1:53 PM

What kind of doctor is Anzalone’s father? Sorry, but you’d like to think a doctor would be able to offer his son mature guidance, and this guy is all over the map. High school recruits are walking around campus when a “fan” asks for photos. The fan later turns out to be a sex offender who posts the photos and starts contacting the kids. Dr. Anzalone acknowledges the “perv” encounter wasn’t OSU’s fault, but his son withdraws his commitment … and may reinstate it … or not.

It’s called a “teachable moment.” Every college campus–store, bar, street–is accessible to sex offenders. Always be on guard, and trust your gut if someone makes you uncomfortable. Fans will be taking your picture–with or without permission–and posting it to their pages. But don’t give your contact info to strangers. You can’t run to a new school every time you’re “creeped out.” Think about how to protect yourself instead.

16. fatfreddystubbs says: May 5, 2012 2:22 PM

Deb,

I was wondering the same thing so I googled Dr Anzalone’s name (yes, I DO have too much time on my hands, why do you ask? I’m waiting for this Vegas monsoon-without-rain type wind to die down before going to hit some golf balls).

Anyhoo, ironically, it appears he’s in Pediatrics.

17. Deb says: May 5, 2012 3:24 PM

@fatfreddystubbs …

Omigosh, that’s kind of scary LOL I mean the pediatrician, not you :)

18. dkhhuey says: May 5, 2012 3:50 PM

Unf@#$#ing believable – this jackass just cost OSU one helluva recruit – there is just nothing right about this! I’m having a really tough time not wishing ill will on this pedo….

19. bill2018 says: May 5, 2012 6:43 PM

It sounds pretty unreasonable for this to be the reason for someone to leave a school. Pedophiles are everywhere. I betting there are other reasons and this was his way out.

20. metalhead65 says: May 5, 2012 10:51 PM

let me see if I get this straight, he decommits from osu because some creep from ky got his picture taken with him at a scrimmage. even his dad says there are some things you can’t hold school responsible for,are they suppose to do background checks on everybody who buys a ticket? he is so upset about this he is considering going to penn state? because you know there are no pervs on campus there or working for the school right? I mean why would have any concern about a sex scandal or something like that happening there? I hope Urban says sorry that was a 1 time offer and moves on to his next all american top 20 recruit to take his spot.

21. monsterright says: May 5, 2012 11:01 PM

Whenever I’m creeped out by someone I have my picture taken with them too.

22. jimmer2372 says: May 6, 2012 8:04 PM

The player has reconsidered his position and has OSU back on the radar. The fact that he is even considering PSU makes one wonder though.

23. 1historian says: May 6, 2012 11:56 PM

Pardon me for stating the obvious but – does this guy in the picture look as if he is dumb enough to put a move on an Ohio State football recruit?

That is assuming, of course, that he wants to wake up in his home instead of a hospital tomorrow morning.