Dad of Buckeye recruit: ‘My issue is not with Ohio State’

Alex Anzalone

The strange story involving the decommitment of Pennsylvania linebacker Alex Anzalone from Ohio State got national attention Friday when The Lantern, OSU’s student newspaper, reported that the school had warned its student-athletes about Charles Waugh, a registered sex offender in the state of Kentucky.

Anzalone committed to Ohio State on April 21, the day of the Buckeyes’ spring game. That night, Anzalone, along with other recruits visiting campus, posed for photos with Waugh, a Ohio State fan. At some point in the following weeks, Anzalone became aware of Waugh’s past and decommmited from the Buckeyes at the suggestion of his father.

Ohio State had no idea that this guy was a perv,” Dr. Sal Anzalone told ESPN.com. “They were totally unaware. Let’s make that very clear. That’s not Ohio State.

“But Alex was creeped out by him. He thought something was wrong. Alex wasn’t going to get hurt. Alex could knock him out. But the point is, this creep shouldn’t be near recruits.”

Ohio State released a statement addressing the issue on Friday, and speaking with his hometown newspaper, the Reading Eagle, Dr. Anzalone clarified his previous comments.

“I want people to understand, I have no beef with Ohio State, at all,” Anzalone said. “My issue is not with Ohio State: It’s a great institution, they have a phenomenal president, Urban Meyer is nothing but a class act to me.

“There’s nothing wrong with Ohio State; it’s a great institution. When I said there was something wrong with Ohio State, I was talking about the visit – there was something wrong with the visit, not with Ohio State.”

Anzalone added that coach Urban Meyer called the family on Friday after the story broke, but wouldn’t clarify the details of the conversation. The elder Anzalone said he does not hold Meyer or the university responsible. As for his son, Anzalone said Ohio State is back in the picture, but that he needs time to “reassess the situation.”

“With all the craziness, we want to slow down the process, calm it down a little bit,” Anzalone said. “There’s no reason we wouldn’t consider the Buckeyes. We love Ohio State. The academic opportunities there are tremendous.”

(Photo credit: Rivals.com) 

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Big Ten Conference, Ohio State Buckeyes, Rumor Mill, Top Posts
24 Responses to “Dad of Buckeye recruit: ‘My issue is not with Ohio State’”
  1. phuckosu says: May 6, 2012 9:04 PM

“The academic opportunities there are tremendous.”
    Seriously? Their academics are not great at all. They rank newer the bottom in the big ten. Nothing special to their academics at all.

2. thraiderskin says: May 6, 2012 9:40 PM

Ohio State as a University also has one of the largest Athletic departments, I belive at one time there was like 64 varsity sports (no i can’t name them and yes I could be remembering wrong). With that said, our academics might not be up to par with Northwestern, but I think considering how many folks are there on a free ride(non-academic scholarship), we do ok. Back to the story at hand, no hard feelings, but if the kid decided he didn’t want to attend OSU, that is his choice, but I wish they would just say it. I personally believe this an excuse that the student-athlete and his father are using to avoid criticism.

3. thraiderskin says: May 6, 2012 9:42 PM

cancel that, I guess its only 36 varsity sports.

4. takingbovadasmoney says: May 6, 2012 9:46 PM

I think O$U’s attorneys may have been in touch with the Anzalone family. Big change in statements over night.

5. usernamethatdoesnotalreadyexist says: May 6, 2012 10:34 PM

This might be the stupidest reason I have ever heard for backing out of a committment. I am willing to bet every team in the nation has fans that are sex offenders. What does that have to do with whether you want to play there?

6. kupski says: May 6, 2012 11:03 PM

” I have since made my decision to go to Penn State, a much safer University”

7. 1historian says: May 6, 2012 11:51 PM

anyone seen the photo of this clown with the kids?

As in creepy

8. fatfreddystubbs says: May 6, 2012 11:56 PM

Not an Ohio State fan, but Urban should just say “okay, we’ve offered your scholarship to someone else. i wish you the best, but whatever you achieve in your career won’t be happening at Ohio State”.

This guy’s dad has Carl Lindros written all over him (this being a college football blog, many people won’t get a hockey reference, but trust me OSU fans, it’s not a compliment).

9. vincentbojackson says: May 7, 2012 8:17 AM

So he doesn’t blame Ohio State for giving a known sex offender access to their recruits?

Then exactly who does he blame?

Trying to figure out who looks worse here. The kid’s dad for his illogical rumblings, Ohio State for poor judgement, or “the perv”.

10. vincentbojackson says: May 7, 2012 8:23 AM

The kid’s dad sports a Phd which is evident by the prefix “Dr.” in his name.

Judging by his idiotic comments I’m assuming he must be a Rug Doctor.

11. sparky151 says: May 7, 2012 8:53 AM

Waugh met the recruits in a public place, Ohio Stadium, during the spring game. It’s not as if Waugh is the only member of the public who met them. Signing autographs and posing for pictures are common for college athletes or in this case high school stars who are being recruited. OSU doesn’t really have any legal way to keep Waugh away. He’s obviously bad publicity but not doing anything illegal. Frankly, OSU should worry more about the athletes accused of sexual misconduct than fans with past convictions.

12. coolhorn says: May 7, 2012 9:25 AM

Glad that kid’s a tOSU recruit, sort of…it’s hard to figure out who’s more off-put by the presence of Waugh, son or daddy. Also, what’s this business about son is a verbal, then isn’t a verbal, then might still be but has to think about it. It’s also amusing that daddy is threatening that his son might clock Waugh…this whole thing is worlds better than daytime tv.

13. joewilliesshnoz says: May 7, 2012 10:11 AM

Urban does a great Paterno impression , doesn’t he ?

14. latchbeam says: May 7, 2012 10:24 AM

Im taking my talents to Penn State…

15. polegojim says: May 7, 2012 10:25 AM

just….plain….weird reasoning, even for OSU recruit!

OSU didn’t ‘give him’ access… it was a public place.

There’s more to the story… like dad convincing him he’s get better exposure somewhere else.

If I’m OSU… I say… BYE, Adios, don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

16. kozbee says: May 7, 2012 10:54 AM

Whats up with all these weirdo`s up in Big Ten Schools,Penn st,Ohio St.Keep your soap on a rope.lol

17. dkhhuey says: May 7, 2012 11:10 AM

Urban has been on the phone with Alex’s dad and hence the chance in stance. It was a total over reaction from his dad and as things settle down and clearer heads prevail, we’ll see if Alex follows through on his original commitment. It pisses me off that this idiot has caused this issue but there is nothing anybody could have done to prevent it from occurring.

Personally, I’d love to see him in a Buckeye uniform but I wish him well if he goes elsewhere.

18. kozbee says: May 7, 2012 11:56 AM

If it were my son going to the college first i would want to know the background on person and the reason he/she is a sex offender.If its a major offense then yes i would want to pull my son also.There are many different offenses that imo would make any parent think.If there is an offense then its posted for anyone (and number of offenses) to see in case that person would be living or working within a distance from where you live.These days and times a parent has to keep an eye on their children or themselves for that matter.First go to sex offenders,then state and name and find out for yourself if its right for your school.JMO

19. polegojim says: May 7, 2012 4:56 PM

@dk… the idiot perv is a sick man… but he didn’t cause ANY OSU issue.

The perv was taking unsanctioned pictures in a public setting. Alex and daddy dad willingly participated without an iota of investigation of his identity.

How is that an OSU issue? Sorry, but that type of flakey behavior… I wouldn’t want taking the field in a maize and blue uniform. Why would you want him in Scarlet and Silver?

20. coolhorn says: May 7, 2012 6:31 PM

Out of curiosity, does any state north of the Mason-Dixon line have an effective sex offender registration program???

21. mtheparrothead says: May 7, 2012 9:56 PM

Or he just woke up one morning and realized ‘o crap, I’m gonna be a buckeye’.

Buckeyes and brownies. No wonder Ohio girls are chubby.

22. dkhhuey says: May 7, 2012 11:07 PM

@pole – not saying OSU has the issue, was trying to say this jackass caused an issue that cost us a top recruit, as it stands today. The kid was a monster on the team and would have looked awesome in S&G crushing anybody carrying the ball!

@parrot – don’t quit y0ur day job, unless you’re actually a comedian, then I would absolutely say quit your day job!

23. polegojim says: May 8, 2012 1:59 PM

The kid may be a monster… but he just answered the
    ‘character’ question for OSU, LOUD and CLEAR.

He showed ‘none to poor’ in an early moment of trial and difficulty.

If I’m you… I’d prefer that type of ‘character’ be in ANYONE else’s uniform…

24. Deb says: May 8, 2012 9:25 PM

Dr. Anzalone seems to have a maturity issue, which probably had more to do with his son decommitting than the “perv” did. After the whole thing dies down, I wouldn’t be surprised to see young Anzalone recommit to Ohio State. As his father has said–rather sloppily–none of this had anything to do with the school. A college campus is a public place. Unsavory fans can approach you anywhere, and take/post your photo with or without your permission.