Gary Schultz, Tim Curley

Report: former PSU VP had ‘secret file’ on Sandusky

21 Comments

With Day 2 of the Jerry Sandusky trial set to begin — you can get caught up on Day 1 in our one-liners here — another report has surfaced that, unfortunately, gives possible context as to why it took as long as it did for Sandusky to be tried for the allegations against him.

KDKA in Pittsburgh reports this morning that Gary Schultz, the former Penn State Vice President for Business and Finance, had what appears to be a “secret file” containing sexual abuse allegations regarding Sandusky. The documents were obtained by KDKA via the Attorney General’s Office. From the report:

“Only recently was the commonwealth provided with a file containing documents relating to incidents involving Sandusky,” a statement from the Attorney General’s office says. “The file was created, maintained and possessed by Schultz. Documents in that file are inconsistent with statements by Schultz and his co-defendant, Curley, to the Grand Jury.

“Also, the commonwealth has come into possession of computer data (again, subpoenaed long ago but not received from PSU until after the charges had been filed in this case) in the form of e-mails between Schultz, Curley and others that contradict their testimony before the Grand Jury.”

Sources close to the investigation confirm both e-mails in the file kept by Schultz as well as e-mails found in computer data indicate high-ranking Penn State officials, including Spanier, Schultz and former athletic director Tim Curley, knew about an alleged sexual assault that took place in the Penn State locker room shower.

Those documents filed by the Attorney General’s office late Monday indicate Schultz told so many lies in his Grand Jury testimony that it was impossible to respond to each and every one of them.

Yesterday, NBC News reported that email exchanges from 2001 between Schultz (pictured, left) and former PSU president Graham Spanier allegedly showed the two thought it would be “humane” to Sandusky to not involve authorities regarding allegations against him. Penn State has maintained that all emails relevant to the case have been turned over.

“The University has responded to several subpoenas and gathered documents from many sources across the institution,” PSU spokesman Dave La Torre said in a statement. “As soon as any relevant documents were discovered, the University immediately provided them to the office of the Attorney General and the Freeh Group.

“Out of respect for the ongoing legal process, the University cannot discuss specific information as it pertains to these issues.”

Schultz, along with athletic director Tim Curley, is facing perjury charges. He stepped down from his position last fall in the wake of the Sandusky scandal.

Baylor dismisses Art Briles as Bears’ head football coach

16 Comments

On Memorial Day in 2011, Ohio State stunned the college football world by announcing the dismissal of Jim Tressel as the Buckeyes’ head coach.  Nearly five years to the day later, and with another Memorial Day fast approaching, Baylor has reportedly offered up a stunner of its own.

Under fire for their handling of allegations involving sexual assault allegedly committed by a handful of football players over the better part of a decade, Baylor, multiple media outlets are reporting HERE, HERE, HERE, will announce that Art Briles is out as BU’s head football coach.  The dismissal comes two days after reports first began to surface that BU president Ken Starr was on the verge of being ousted as well.

The announcement of Briles’ dismissal is expected to come with a noon ET press release.

Prior to Briles’ arrival in Waco in 2008, the Bears hadn’t had a winning season 1995 (7-4) and had won 10 or more games just once (1980) in over 100 years of football.  Just in the past five years, Briles’ Bears won at least 10 games four times, including each of the past three seasons.  In the 25 years before Briles arrived, the Bears went to six bowl games; in eight years under Briles, the Bears went to six bowl games.

Overall, Briles finishes his BU career with a 65-37 record — and one gigantic stain on his once-sterling résumé.

Obviously, we’ll have more of this developing story throughout the day.

Boise State expels two, suspends another for a year following sexual misconduct probe

BOISE , ID - SEPTEMBER 13: A general view of players cleets on the blue turf during the game between Boise State Broncos and Bowling Green Falcons at Bronco Stadium on September 13, 2008 in Boise, Idaho. (Photo by Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

You paying attention, Baylor?

Citing the players’ families and Boise State documents, the Idaho Statesman is reporting that two Broncos football players — linebacker Marquis Hendrix and cornerback Donzale Roddie — have been expelled from the university while another, safety Darreon Jackson has been hit with a one-year suspension.  All three involved are redshirt freshman.

According to the Statesman, the punitive measure are the culmination of a Title IX sexual misconduct investigation that was conducted after a female BSU student accused them of sexual assault.  None of the players involved have been charged with a crime, although the paper noted that [i]nformation was not available Wednesday night about whether the allegations were reported to or investigated by Boise Police.”

From the Statesman:

In incidents Aug. 19, Sept. 26 and Oct. 2 of last year, the alleged victim said she was coerced into performing oral sex on the three players, or in one incident, on a recruit during his official visit. The woman first met with Kerrick in person Nov. 30. She was interviewed in February in-depth about the majority of details in the complaint.

All three players stated that the sex was consensual, although the Statesman’s report, which can be read in full HERE, paints a vastly different, disturbing picture.

The dad of one of the players was less than pleased with the outcome, and laid the blame at the feet of “promiscuous young ladies hiding behind Title IX.”

“I’m extremely upset, upset how those boys were treated,” Jack Hendrix told the paper. “We feel their civil rights were violated, that they were interrogated, not given a chance to truly defend themselves. There are some promiscuous young ladies hiding behind Title IX, and there’s a vendetta against football by those investigators. There was no police investigation, or no repercussions for her actions.”

All three players were members of BSU’s 2015 recruiting class who didn’t play last season and took redshirts.

Ex-Arkansas WR Kendrick Edwards moves on to Arkansas State

TUSCALOOSA, AL - OCTOBER 10:  Reggie Ragland #19 of the Alabama Crimson Tide breaks up this reception intended for Kendrick Edwards #6 of the Arkansas Razorbacks at Bryant-Denny Stadium on October 10, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kendrick Edwards may have left Arkansas, the Razorbacks, but he hasn’t left Arkansas, the state.

According to a tweet posted to his personal Twitter account, Edwards revealed that he has been “[e]xtremely blessed and thankful for this new opportunity at Arkansas State University.”  That Sun Belt football program, it should be noted, has yet to confirm Edwards’ addition to the roster.

This development is the latest twist in what’s thus far been an odd collegiate odyssey for Edwards.

In March of 2015, it was announced that Edwards had been removed from the Razorbacks football program and was given permission to speak to other schools about a transfer.  However, Edwards was reinstated to the program shortly thereafter; however, the sequel, Edwards was permanently dismissed in the midst of the 2015 season for unspecified reasons.

Coming out of high school in Miami, Edwards was rated by 247Sports.com as a three-star recruit in the Class of 2014.  In parts of two seasons with the Razorbacks, Edwards caught eight passes for 121 yards and a touchdown.

After sitting out the 2016 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules, Edwards will have two seasons of eligibility remaining beginning in 2017.

CB Josh Jenkins, injured last year in fight with teammate, ‘looking to transfer from Army’

Josh Jenkins ,Joseph Pavlik's
Associated Press
1 Comment

The West Point career of Josh Jenkins has apparently taken yet another twist.

On his personal Twitter account earlier Tuesday — he pinned it for emphasis — Jenkins posted a tweet that included a YouTube highlight video with the text consisting of “looking to transfer from Army West Point.” Just why the defensive back has decided to leave the service academy is unclear.

Jenkins reportedly suffered a serious and significant head injury during an on-post fight with a teammate over the Fourth of July weekend last year. The teammate, linebacker Seth Combs, was dismissed from the team; Jenkins was unable to play at all in 2015 because of the injuries he sustained.

During spring practice, Jenkins was not allowed to participate in contact drills. Sal Interdonato of the Times Herald-Record wrote that Black Knights head coach “Jeff Monken said near the end of spring practice that he was ‘hopeful’ that Jenkins would be cleared to practice with full contact in the preseason.”

In 2014, Jenkins was tied for second on the team with 63 tackles, while his four interceptions and eight passes broken up were the most of any Black Knight. He also blocked two kicks, a total that was tops on the team as well.