Gerald Ford

Gerald Ford’s jersey number among those ‘unretired’ by Michigan

26 Comments

A little less than two decades after it was retired, the jersey number worn by a man whose post-Michigan exploits made him famous will be put back into circulation this season.

Speaking to a radio station in Birmingham, Ala., Tuesday morning, Wolverines head coach Brady Hoke confirmed that jersey No. 48, previously worn by former UM offensive lineman and ex-President of the United States Gerald R. Ford, will be issued this year.  Just who will wear the jersey was not divulged by Hoke.

The number was retired in 1994 and is one of five to be bestowed with that honor.  The family of Ford, who died in 2006, was consulted prior to making the decision.

Instead of having a retired number, Ford’s No. 48 will be emblazoned with a “Michigan Football Legend” patch, similar to what the school did with Desmond Howard’s No. 21 last season.

“I think it’s a much better way to memorialize and honor those folks,” athletic director David Brandon had told the Detroit News. “In making the decision in how to do this going forward, I have consulted with people who follow the program and consider themselves experts. I would simply say, ‘Name the numbers and the players that have been retired.’ They may name one or two, but they can’t name all five.”

In addition to Ford, the other four numbers belonged to Tom Harmon (98), Bennie Oosterbaan (47), the Wistert Brothers (11), Ron Kramer (87).  The school has also had conversations with the family members of those players, although there’s no word on if/when those numbers will be put back into circulation.

(Photo credit: Michigan athletics)

UPDATED 8:32 a.m. ET: Michigan has also announced that the jersey numbers of Kramer and Oosterbaan will be put back into circulation as well.

“The success and acceptance of the Desmond Howard ‘Legend’ recognition led to conversations with the family members who had retired jerseys, several of whom were never recognized or celebrated in the appropriate manner,” Brandon said in a statement. “The Ford, Kramer and Oosterbaan families want to see their family member honored in this way.

“This program is about tradition and legacy and this is a unique way to recognize these great Wolverines.”

Brandon also clarified that there have been no discussions with the families of Harmon and and the Wistert brothers about unretiring those numbers.

Four-star 2017 QB Kellen Mond, an ex-Baylor commit, verbals to A&M

COLLEGE STATION, TX - OCTOBER 31: Texas A&M Aggies mascot Reveille runs onto the field before a NCAA football game against the South Carolina Gamecocks at Kyle Field on October 31, 2015 in College Station, Texas. (Photo by Eric Christian Smith/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Baylor’s recruiting loss will turn into another football program’s gain.  Again.

On his Twitter account Monday, 2017 quarterback prospect Kellen Mond announced that he has decided to verbally commit to play his college football at Texas A&M.  Mond had been considered the crown jewel of Baylor’s 2017 recruiting class after committing to the Bears in the summer of 2015, but opted to decommit less than a week after Art Briles was dismissed as BU’s head football coach.

Shortly after decommitting from Baylor, Mond announced a new Top 3: Auburn, Ohio State and A&M.  Those schools were listed in his order of preference at that moment, although the Aggies were, obviously, able to make up ground on the other two.

Mond visited College Station earlier this month, and, coupled with the Buckeyes landing a verbal from five-star quarterback Tate Martell — a former A&M commit, incidentally — had seemingly pared his choices down to the Tigers and Aggies.  According to his tweeted announcement, A&M’s “tradition of excellence,” along with the coaching staff, led him to his latest commitment.

Mond, a Texas native who is playing his senior season at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., is rated as a four-star prospect on 247Sports.com‘s composite board. That recruiting website rates him as the No. 4 dual-threat quarterback in the country and the No. 103 player overall.

Pitt joins trend of stadium-wide beer sales for football games

Beer
Leave a comment

Ohio State announced earlier this month that it would be offering cold beers to all of-age fans during football games this fall in The ‘Shoe.  A couple of weeks later, a fellow FBS member to the east has followed suit.

As part of its press release on new fan initiatives for the 2016 season, Pittsburgh announced that beer will be sold stadium-wide throughout Heinz Field this upcoming football season.  Prior to this season, alcohol sales were only permitted to those ticket holders in the club and suite sections of the stadium.

The first opportunity for fans to take advantage of the new policy is the home opener against Villanova Sept. 3.  The ACC opener Oct. 8 against Georgia Tech.

From the press release:

The expansion of this amenity will coincide with the implementation of appropriate safety measures for Pitt game days, ensuring the continuation of a fan and family friendly environment for all. (Such measures are already in place for Steelers home games. Aramark, Heinz Field’s official food and beverage concessionaire, provides comprehensive staff training in the sale of alcohol.) A portion of the funds from beer sales proceeds will be dedicated to drug and alcohol education programs for the overall student body through Pitt’s Division of Student Affairs.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, there are now nine Power Five members with a similar beer policy for football games.  One of the nine is West Virginia, with the Post-Gazette writing that athletic director Scott Barnes cited data from WVU “suggesting that beer sales in the stadium could actually cut down on alcohol-related incidents.”

Houston’s Howard Wilson granted medical hardship waiver

Howard Wilson
Houston athletics
Leave a comment

Not surprisingly, one member of Houston’s secondary will get back the time he lost last season.

According to a press release from the Houston sports information department, Howard Wilson has been granted a medical hardship waiver for the 2015 season. Wilson sustained a season-ending torn ACL in the third game of 2015, making the decision to grant the waiver a no-brainer.

The waiver will extend Wilson’s eligibility clock through the 2018 season, and makes him a redshirt sophomore for the upcoming season.

As a true freshman in 2014, Wilson played in all 13 games, starting one of those contests. He had three interceptions that season.

Prior to his injury, he started the first three games of last season. He’s projected to start at one of the corner spots for the Cougars entering summer camp.

Texas confirms addition of two more 2016 Baylor signees

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 1.51.51 PM
Texas athletics
5 Comments

Last week, Texas confirmed four-star 2016 Baylor signee Devin Duvernay had joined Charlie Strong‘s football program, just a couple of days after BU announced five 2016 signees had been granted releases from their National Letters of Intent.

A couple of days later, the university has confirmed the addition of two more former Bears.

As had been reported just days ago HERE and HERE, UT acknowledged in a press release that offensive lineman J.P. Urquidez and defensive back Donovan Duvernay have been added to Charlie Strong‘s roster. According to the school’s release, “[b]oth have signed financial aid agreements and are expected to enroll in the University’s second summer session in July.”

Urquidez was a four-star BU signee this past February, rated as the No. 22 offensive tackle; the No. 37 player at any position in the state of Texas; and the No. 244 player on 247Sports.com‘s composite board.
A three-star member of the Bears’ 2016 recruiting class, Duvernay was rated as the No. 61 athlete in the country and the No. 113 player at any position in the state of Texas.  Duvernay is the twin brother of Devin Duvernay, the first 2016 BU signee to flee Waco and sign with the school in Austin.