Jim Delany

Updated: commissioners confirm a ‘consensus’ on playoff

24 Comments

Updated 6:55 p.m. ET: Following today’s BCS meetings, it appears the conference commissioners have come up with a plan to present to the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee on June 26. Meeting with the media today, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick “broke” the news: 

We have reached a consensus on a 4-team playoff,” Swarbrick said.

SEC commissioner Mike Slive added that he was “delighted, very pleased” on what the committee had reached, though he would not divulge any details. Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said last week that the committee was planing to present multiple options to the Presidential Oversight Committee, and a plus-one could still be discussed in some capacity.

However, a four-team playoff with semifinal games incorporated into the bowls and a bid-out championship game seems inevitable at this point.

—————–

Earlier this week, a report surfaced that (surprise!) a decision on a playoff format likely wouldn’t be finalized until sometime around September.

The reality is, that shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone; when the momentum for some type of playoff system to replace the BcS began building earlier this year, it was thought that the talks would stretch into and, possibly, through the summer months before a decision was reached.

For his part, one of the most powerful men in the sport concurs with the “original” timeline.

Speaking to reporters prior to yet another meeting of his counterparts, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany flatly stated that he doesn’t expect a format to be decided on when the BcS Oversight Committee meets June 26.  At the previous commissioners meetings last week, it was expected that the group would come to an agreement on one playoff option to be presented to the committee.  Instead, the commissioners will present a number of options for the presidents to discuss nearly a week from today.

Delany’s SEC counterpart, however, seemed to indicate that the commissioners may be able to whittle down the options considerably ahead of the committee meetings in Washington D.C.

“We hope to have a consensus on team-team playoff model” prior to next Thursday, Mike Slive said, adding, “we hope to make a comprehensive presentation to presidents next week.”

Just what form such a consensus presentation — it won’t be a single option per Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson — would take remains unclear, although a favorite does appear to be emerging: the four highest-rated conference champions would qualify for the four-team field, provided they were ranked in the top six.  If one or more of those conference champs were ranked outside that marker, it or they would be replaced by the highest-ranked teams regardless of conference standing.

Also to be determined?  How those rankings will be formulated.  Delany prefers a selection committee, or at least a process that doesn’t involve human polls or non-transparent computer formulas.

Like with all of the other issues surrounding the playoff issue, how such a search committee would be populated remains a fluid situation.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

ECU transfer Kurt Benkert wins Virginia’s starting QB job

In this photo taken Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2015 East Carolina quarterback Kurt Benkert rolls out to pass during NCAA college football practice in Greenville, N.C. (AP Photo/Gerry Broome)
Associated Press
2 Comments

Four months ago, Kurt Benkert was one the losing end of a quarterback competition at East Carolina.  Fastforward to today, and he’s now the trigger man in a Power Five offense.

First-year Hoos head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced Wednesday that Benkert will start the season opener against Richmond.  Benkert had been involved in a competition that included returning starter Matt Johns and Texas/Arizona transfer Connor Brewer.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Benkert came to the Cavaliers as a graduate transfer, but is not a one-year stop-gap as he has two years of eligibility remaining.

Named the Pirates’ starter in early August of 2015, Benkert sustained a right knee injury a couple of weeks later that knocked him out for the entire season.  Blake Kemp took over and kept a stranglehold on the starting job through spring practice this year, triggering Benkert’s decision to move on.

Benkert has attempted 10 passes in his collegiate career, all in 2014.

In starting all 12 games for the Cavaliers last season, Johns’ 2,810 passing yards were third in school history while his 20 touchdowns were tied for fourth.  His 17 interceptions, though, were the most of any FBS quarterback in 2015.

Cassius Peat granted release by Mich. St., appears headed to JUCO

COLLEGE PARK, MD - NOVEMBER 15:  A Michigan State Spartans helmet on the bench during a college football game against the Maryland Terrapins at Byrd Stadium on November 15, 2014 in College Park, Maryland.  The Spartans won 37-15.  (Photo by Mitchell Layton/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Earlier this month, Mark Dantonio stated that Michigan State was giving Cassius Peat “an opportunity to work on his academics and get himself in order” as his status with the program was “in flux.”

A week or so later?  He gone.

MSU confirmed Wednesday that Peat has been granted a release from his scholarship and will transfer from the Spartans.  And, in fact, the defensive lineman may have already found a new home, one at the junior college level.

Peat, initially a UCLA commit, was a three-star 2015 recruit who was rated as the No. 3 player at any position in the state of Arizona.  He took a redshirt as a true freshman, and had been listed as the No. tackle heading into summer camp.

However, according to mlive.com, Peat did not report for camp amidst his academic issues.

Ex-Oregon St. DB goes home to LaTech as grad transfer

LOS ANGELES, CA - SEPTEMBER 27:  Running back Justin Davis #22 of the USC Trojans is defended by safety Cyril Noland-Lewis #17 of the Oregon State Beavers in the second half at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on September 27, 2014 in Los Angeles, California. USC defeated Oregon State 35-10.  (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

A week after transferring from Oregon State, Cyril Noland-Lewis has found a new home that happens to also double as his hometown.

The Ruston News Star, among others, has reported that Noland-Lewis is transferring into the Louisiana Tech football program.  As he is coming to Tech as a graduate transfer, he will be eligible to play for the Bulldogs in 2016, his final season of eligibility.

The defensive back, who went to high school in Ruston, was at the Bulldogs’ practice Tuesday as Tech continues preparations for the season opener Sept. 3 against Arkansas.

Noland-Lewis started 10 games for the Beavers last season.  Six of those starts came as a safety, the others as the nickel corner.  OSU moved Noland-Lewis to cornerback this offseason, where he ultimately found himself buried on the depth chart in summer camp.

The 6-0, 198-pound fifth-year senior, who began his OSU career as a linebacker, played in a total of 37 games during his time in Corvallis.

Tyler Rodgers, NMSU’s starting QB, arrested on battery charge

BATON ROUGE, LA - SEPTEMBER 27:  Tyler Rogers #18 of the New Mexico State Aggies drops back to pass against the LSU Tigers during the first quarter of a game at Tiger Stadium on September 27, 2014 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It’s not been a good day for a couple of starting quarterbacks at Group of Five programs.

The Las Cruces Sun-News has reported that New Mexico State’s Tyler Rogers turned himself in last Friday on a warrant that had been issued for him Aug. 14.  The junior was booked on one count of misdemeanor charge of battery against a household member.

The alleged victim is Rogers’ girlfriend. A verbal altercation at a party allegedly turned physical in a vehicle later on. When police arrived, the woman, who was initially crying, “downplayed the incident and said that it wasn’t really anything and that the altercation did not get physical and didn’t consider Mr. Rogers grabbing her arm as being a physical altercation.”

The woman decided against completing a domestic violence supplement report, and, according to the Sun-News, it’s unclear if the woman is cooperating with police.

“I was very disappointed in hearing the news but we are in the information gathering stage,” NMSU athletic director Mario Moccia said in a statement. “These are allegations that we take very seriously and we look forward to getting as much detail as possible so the university can be informed and the athletic department can make an informed decision moving forward.”

Because “it is a misdemeanor, there isn’t a suspension coming forth right now,” head coach Doug Martin said.

Rogers has started 15 games the past two seasons for the Aggies.