Or, I suppose, what was already known for the last month or so, but officially given the stamp of approval by the Presidential Oversight Committee yesterday.
Some important details of a four-team playoff are still largely unknown, namely revenue distribution and access, but we do know the three-game event will consist of six bowl games rotating as hosts of the semifinals with the championship game will be bid out separately.
Once a leading member of the “anti-playoff party”, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said he’s happy with the outcome from yesterday’s meeting in Washington D.C.
“The Big Ten Conference is pleased with the decision made by the presidential oversight committee to implement a four-team playoff for college football. We feel that this system will protect the regular season, preserve the tradition of bowl games and further enhance the Big Ten’s partnership with the Pac-12 and Rose Bowl while simultaneously allowing for great innovation. It was a great day for college football student-athletes, coaches, administrators and fans.”
And, really, that’s all Delany (or, perhaps, the presidents/chancellors whom he serves) ever really wanted: preserve the Rose Bowl relationship and the regular season. The four-team playoff was inevitable — the Big Ten admitted as much this month — but the Big Ten got much of what it wanted.
After battling to get on the field throughout the season’s first five weeks, Georgia is shutting down inside linebacker Reggie Carter for the rest of the year, Dawgs head coach Mark Richt confirmed Sunday evening.
Carter fought shoulder problems throughout the year, and saw action in only one of Georgia’s first five games. A junior, Carter will be eligible for a medical redshirt.
The Snellville, Ga., native recorded 28 tackles in 12 appearances in 2014 and eight tackles in eight appearances as a freshman in 2013. UAB transfer Jake Ganus started in the spot many pegged to Carter before injure ruptured his season.
Carter totaled two stops in one appearance this season.
Cearly, the folks in Stillwater are living right.
A week after receiving some, uh, fortuitous calls in their 30-27 win over Texas, No. 21 Oklahoma State was the beneficiary of an officiating error that aided the Cowboys in their 36-34 come-from-behind win over Kansas State on Saturday.
The chain crew incorrectly credited the Cowboys with a first down they did not earn during the second quarter Saturday, directly leading to an Oklahoma State touchdown.
That improper touchdown allowed Oklahoma State to pull within 28-20 just before the half, springboarding the Cowboys on to a comeback win. The Wildcats had won 49 in a row when leading at the half until Saturday.
From the conference:
Big 12 Conference supervisor of officials Walt Anderson acknowledges improper first-down distance enforcement occurred during Saturday’s K-State at Oklahoma State game. During the second-quarter, with the ball at the K-State 45, OSU was flagged for offensive holding during a 41-yard pass completion. After the 10-yard penalty was marked off, moving the ball back to the OSU 45, the chains were mistakingly set for the yard-to-gain.
“Accurracy and adherence to Conference policies and officiating mechanics are vital to the proper administration of the rules in all games,” said Anderson. “Disciplinary actions will be addressed with both the field officials and chain crew.”