Gary Schultz, Tim Curley

Evidence continues to gather indicating Sandusky cover-up

37 Comments

Late last month, former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was convicted on 45 counts related to child-sex abuse following the scandal that broke last November. While the decision marked the beginning of the healing process for Sandusky’s victims and all those involved, suffice to say Penn State is nowhere close to being out of the woods yet.

Friday night, a CNN report detailed new emails exchanged among PSU administrators in 2001 suggesting there was a planned cover-up for Sandusky beginning 16 days after former Nittany Lions assistant coach Mike McQueary allegedly saw Sandusky in the showers of an on-campus facility with a young boy.

Though former PSU coach Joe Paterno did not send/receive any emails in the thread, athletic director Tim Curley allegedly wrote: “After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps.” Although never mentioned by name, it’s believed Curley was talking about Sandusky.

There were other similar emails, but the bottom line is it appears that Paterno, Curley, former VP Gary Schultz and president Graham Spanier all knew more about the Sandusky allegations than they initially led on.

But that’s been suspected for some time. On the day leading up to the start of Sandusky trial, NBC News reported school admins exchanged emails in 2001 claiming it would be “humane” for Sandusky not to involve authorities. A day later, a Pittsburgh-based news outlet reported Schultz had a “secret file” of allegations against Sandusky. In mid-June, a PSU trustee told the Associated Press that he suspected a cover-up by PSU officials.

Now, the Chronicle of Higher Education reports “Top Pennsylvania State University officials held a three-hour meeting to discuss Jerry Sandusky in 2001 over concerns about the former coach’s behavior with a boy in the football showers.

“A law-firm billing record from that conversation describes a ‘report of suspected child abuse,’ according to a person with knowledge of an independent investigation into the matter,” the report says.

Given the amount of information that continues to surface, it’s becoming clearer that PSU admins knew something, yet failed to report anything to child-welfare services. That’s a violation of Pennsylvania state law. Curley and Schultz are already facing perjury charges.

However, the CNN report from Friday claims Schultz initially had a plan to notify the Pennsylvania Department of Welfare about concerns over the Sandusky situation. Obviously, though, those plans were never executed as PSU admins instead reportedly planned to ask Sandusky to seek counseling — something they knew was the wrong approach.

“The only downside for us is if the message [to Sandusky] isn’t ‘heard’ and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it,” Spanier reportedly said in an email.

In response to the emails, the Paterno family released a statement saying “From the beginning, Joe Paterno warned against a rush to judgment in this case. Coach Paterno testified truthfully, to the best of his recollection, in the one brief appearance he made before the grand jury.”

The CNN emails suggest otherwise, but we’ll never know what was going through Paterno’s mind, just as the thought process for Curley, Schultz and Spanier remains a mystery today.

Still, there’s one way and one way only to correctly handle an accusation of sexual abuse — this isn’t an open-ended question — and no one at Penn State handled it the right way.

In fact, you could make a strong case they blatantly handled it the wrong way. There should be no sympathy or forgiveness for that.

Ex-Arkansas WR Kendrick Edwards moves on to Arkansas State

TUSCALOOSA, AL - OCTOBER 10:  Reggie Ragland #19 of the Alabama Crimson Tide breaks up this reception intended for Kendrick Edwards #6 of the Arkansas Razorbacks at Bryant-Denny Stadium on October 10, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kendrick Edwards may have left Arkansas, the Razorbacks, but he hasn’t left Arkansas, the state.

According to a tweet posted to his personal Twitter account, Edwards revealed that he has been “[e]xtremely blessed and thankful for this new opportunity at Arkansas State University.”  That Sun Belt football program, it should be noted, has yet to confirm Edwards’ addition to the roster.

This development is the latest twist in what’s thus far been an odd collegiate odyssey for Edwards.

In March of 2015, it was announced that Edwards had been removed from the Razorbacks football program and was given permission to speak to other schools about a transfer.  However, Edwards was reinstated to the program shortly thereafter; however, the sequel, Edwards was permanently dismissed in the midst of the 2015 season for unspecified reasons.

Coming out of high school in Miami, Edwards was rated by 247Sports.com as a three-star recruit in the Class of 2014.  In parts of two seasons with the Razorbacks, Edwards caught eight passes for 121 yards and a touchdown.

After sitting out the 2016 season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules, Edwards will have two seasons of eligibility remaining beginning in 2017.

CB Josh Jenkins, injured last year in fight with teammate, ‘looking to transfer from Army’

Josh Jenkins ,Joseph Pavlik's
Associated Press
Leave a comment

The West Point career of Josh Jenkins has apparently taken yet another twist.

On his personal Twitter account earlier Tuesday — he pinned it for emphasis — Jenkins posted a tweet that included a YouTube highlight video with the text consisting of “looking to transfer from Army West Point.” Just why the defensive back has decided to leave the service academy is unclear.

Jenkins reportedly suffered a serious and significant head injury during an on-post fight with a teammate over the Fourth of July weekend last year. The teammate, linebacker Seth Combs, was dismissed from the team; Jenkins was unable to play at all in 2015 because of the injuries he sustained.

During spring practice, Jenkins was not allowed to participate in contact drills. Sal Interdonato of the Times Herald-Record wrote that Black Knights head coach “Jeff Monken said near the end of spring practice that he was ‘hopeful’ that Jenkins would be cleared to practice with full contact in the preseason.”

In 2014, Jenkins was tied for second on the team with 63 tackles, while his four interceptions and eight passes broken up were the most of any Black Knight. He also blocked two kicks, a total that was tops on the team as well.

Former Michigan WR, Notre Dame DB move on to JUCOs

MORTON GROVE, IL - JANUARY 23: A U-Haul truck sits in front of a U-Haul store January 23, 2003 in Morton Grove, Illinois. Reno, Nevada-based U-Haul Co. is discussing debt restructuring. (Photo by Tim Boyle/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two former members of Power Five football programs have decided to slide far down the college football ladder in restarting their respective careers.

According to 247Sports.com, Cole is on the campus of East Mississippi Community College and will play for the JUCO team in 2016.  The report comes nearly four months after it was reported that Cole had decided to transfer from Michigan to Kentucky.

The recruiting website writes that UK “is a school Cole continues to consider.”

Cole was a highly sought after four-star 2015 recruit who was an early enrollee in Jim Harbaugh‘s first UM class.  The No. 74 player nationally on 247Sports.com‘s composite board, Cole was also the No. 1-rated player at any position in the state of Michigan.  He played in two games at receiver with the Wolverines; he’ll move to safety with his new program.

Speaking of defensive backs, former Notre Dame safety Mykelti Williams has also decided to go the JUCO route.  It was confirmed in March of this year that Williams had decided to leave the Irish and transfer elsewhere.

As it turns out, that elsewhere is Iowa Western.

Williams was a three-star member of the Irish’s 2015 recruiting class, rated as the No. 29 safety in the country; the No. 4 player at any position in the state of Indiana; and the No. 464 player overall according to 247Sports.com. The 5-11, 200-pound defensive back chose Notre Dame over offers from, among others, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin.

He took a redshirt as a true freshman last season.

Transferring Utah DT Stevie Tu’ikolovatu visits Alabama, too

Stevie Tu'ikolovatu
Utah athletics
Leave a comment

Earlier this month, Stevie Tu’ikolovatu made the decision to transfer from Utah. Over the weekend, the defensive lineman paid a visit to Nebraska as he began the process of finding a new college football home.

Earlier this week, Tu’ikolovatu continued that process at the defending national champions.

According to the defensive tackle’s Twitter account, Tu’ikolovatu paid a visit to Alabama on Monday. While the Tide, as always, remains loaded along the line even after losing so much to the NFL draft, they could certainly use someone with the talent — and size — the 6-1, 320-pound Tu’ikolovatu possesses if the player and team find common ground.

Last season with the Utes, Tu’ikolovatu played in all 13 games, starting two of those contests. His four fumble recoveries were tied for the lead in the Pac-12 and second nationally.

All told, Tu’ikolovatu played in 25 games the past two seasons. As a graduate transfer, he’d be eligible to play immediately in 2016 whether he moves on to Alabama, Nebraska or any other FBS program.

The 2016 season will, though, be his final year of eligibility.