Emails from ex-PSU official blast Paterno’s ‘atrocious’ behavior

Joe Paterno, Thomas Derrick AP

Already expected to “very tough” on the legacy of Joe Paterno, the report from Penn State’s independent investigation into the Jerry Sandusky scandal could prove to be much, much more damaging than that.

In email exchanges obtained by CNN between Vicky Triponey, then vice president of student affairs in charge of disciplining students, and then-athletic director Tim Curley and ex-president Graham Spanier, Triponey laments the culture surrounding the Nittany Lions football program, questioning why Paterno would be permitted to keep serious violations of the school’s code of conduct private “despite any moral or legal obligation to” make it public.

In a subsequent e-mail to then-Penn State President Graham Spanier she is more blunt: “I am very troubled by the manipulative, disrespectful, uncivil and abusive behavior of our football coach,” she writes.

In the same e-mail, she calls Paterno’s behavior “atrocious” and said others are mimicking his behavior. “It is quite shocking what this man — who is idolized by people everywhere — is teaching our students…” she writes.

The emails also suggest that, after Triponey had attempted to discipline PSU football players outside of Paterno’s preferred methods, she was harassed and it was ultimately suggested she leave her post.

After Triponey tried to discipline football players in the same manner as other students, she was harassed both online and at her home, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation. On her front lawn somebody put up a “for sale” sign. Police installed a surveillance camera. In the end, the source says Spanier suggested she think about her future at Penn State, and she resigned.

The full report, which will come from the group headed by former FBI director Louis Freeh, is expected to be released in short order, perhaps as early as this week.  Based on the reports that have surfaced in recent weeks, it appears very likely that the legacy Paterno spent more than five decades constructing will be in tatters.

That, though, pales in comparison to the hell Sandusky’s victims were forced to endure.  And how a handful of the most powerful men at a university were (allegedly) actively involved in a systematic coverup of a convicted serial pedophile.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Big Ten Conference, Penn State Nittany Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Posts
52 Responses to “Emails from ex-PSU official blast Paterno’s ‘atrocious’ behavior”
  1. rsmeans says: Jul 9, 2012 10:24 AM

Paterno represents the very worse of college football and he should never be allowed into the college football Hall of Fame and his records regarding wins should not be recognized nor any stadium named after him. He is a total disgrace to college football.

2. auburntigers34 says: Jul 9, 2012 10:41 AM

he sure had a lot of people foooled. it really sucks that he isn’t alive to see what the majority of the public thinks of him now.

3. palmbeachbuckeye says: Jul 9, 2012 10:41 AM

Time to assemble a mob and tear down that statue.

4. jimmy53 says: Jul 9, 2012 10:46 AM

3 comments in and we haven’t heard from a rabid Paterno supporter?? Could it be that they’re catching on to what the rest of us figured out a long time ago…

5. rcbn says: Jul 9, 2012 10:50 AM

Penn State better start setting aside all of that money that Paterno brought to the school. Litigation is going to be costly to say the least! The sooner they settle with these young men the better for the University. Penn State has suffered damage beyond repair!

6. dkhhuey says: Jul 9, 2012 10:52 AM

If this all turns out to be true – then I’m guessing we will witness one of the largest falls from the top of the mountain we’ve ever seen!

7. coolhorn says: Jul 9, 2012 10:57 AM

If Paterno wielded that kind of power, and ability to threaten others, it’s not surprising that nobody heard any real complaints about him before the Sandusky case blew up.

At the very least, Paterno was guilty of the sin of omission for not following up on the Sandusky investigation once he reported what he’d heard to his AD. This is one case where the members of the “good old boy” network weren’t good…just old. Speaking of “good”…what Paterno might have done good during his career is vastly overshadowed by his behavior concerning his former defensive coordinator. He does NOT deserve to be lionized.

8. deadeye says: Jul 9, 2012 10:59 AM

So Triponey was harassed when she tried to do her job. Does anyone seriously question that Paterno wanted her removed due to the fact that she didn’t defer to him the same way everyone else did? JoePa ran off anyone who had the audacity to “wield” their authority in opposition to his desires. So much for the argument that JoePa’s “superiors” were to blame for the coverup.

Read more about Triponey here:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/story/2011-11-22/11-22-11-Paterno-Discipline/51346682/1

9. ndnut says: Jul 9, 2012 11:03 AM

I’m pretty sure that there are other coaches in major college football who have preferred methods of discipline that will always protect them, whatever the cost. Paterno is being generalized into the category of Jerry Sandusky.

10. psublueandwhite says: Jul 9, 2012 11:15 AM

Ok seriously? A single email from a single person? These leaks are ridiculous. Where are the other hundreds of thousands of emails?

“questioning why Paterno would be permitted to keep serious violations of the school’s code of conduct private”

Keeping it private does not mean letting them off the hook. The football program is under intense scrutiny. ESPN reports every incident with a college football player, as if it was the next Watergate. How many times have you heard other coaches simply not comment on player situations and say things like, “it’s an internal issue” or they “broke an unspecified team rule” and that is all you ever hear. How is this different?

Everyone is again rushing to judgement about stuff they know nothing about and are basing it on bits and pieces of tactfully leaked info.

Apparently none of you has ever worked in any kind of company or organization before. Is it really that uncommon for higher-ups to disagree with other higher-ups about how things are handled? There is never any power struggles? Things always go smoothly? Everyone always gets along? Give me a break.

Unfortunately most of you have already made up your mind before seeing any real evidence. You take what you see on the surface and what is reported and draw your own conclusions. But your conclusions are not the facts, they are simply a guess at this point.

11. Scott Hevel says: Jul 9, 2012 11:18 AM

Does anyone ask why Triponey was told to leave the University (essentially fired?). That was the same #$(%# that basically shut down most of the student funding programs and took over everything for herself to show she was worth something. Almost every student hated her. This is old news and if the best the University can do is find some worthless, power hungry middling administrator, then it’s a sad sad investigation. I don’t know what Paterno’s involvement was but to even throw Triponey into the mix says that this report will be nothing more than uncomfortable toilet paper.

12. Scott Hevel says: Jul 9, 2012 11:28 AM

If you have any interest in knowing how bad she was, here was an article written about her time at PSU (and UConn before that).

http://safeguardoldstate.org/the-vicky-triponey-timeline-of-terror/

13. thraiderskin says: Jul 9, 2012 11:36 AM

“Could it be that they’re catching on to what the rest of us figured out a long time ago…”

Yeah, all you people really knew it… give me a break. I am guessing from all the negative comments directed at Paterno, from the people who “alread knew,” that PSU never had a football player disciplined or kicked off the team. This makes me wonder about EVERY ex-PSU players who are running amok, because they are just perpetuating what they learned at State.

14. mds5917 says: Jul 9, 2012 11:40 AM

I find it disturbing that this article has been ‘resurrected’ from the archives with the (seeming) intent to tie the content of these email exchanges to the Sandusky scandal. As I recall, the dispute referenced had to do with the way football players were being disciplined for student code infractions vs the way ‘normal’ students were being handled, nothing to do with the later sexual abuse scandal.

I highly doubt one could find many major college football programs (and coaches) who have not tried to maintain their own control over their players, rightly or wrongly.

This appears to be an attempt to invent scandal on a slow news day. Shame on whoever approved this misleading nature of this very old story to resurface for this purpose. There is plenty of blame in these events that will eventually be brought to light – probably best to get all the cards on the table before making any final judgments in this saga for the remainder of the personnel involved.

15. mhalt99 says: Jul 9, 2012 11:40 AM

Scott Hevel says:

So you’re basically saying that everything at Penn State is backwards and everyone who works there is in bizarro world……

hmm…don’t think you will find much argument to that considering the entire alumni association still think Paterno’s a saint and will keep his statue up “standing proud”

16. kozbee says: Jul 9, 2012 11:48 AM

There was a coverup that even a blind man could of seen.Joe and many more at Penn st knew what was going on but refused to turn Jerry in.I guess one could say Penn st loved the kids when they were small till the time they could be recruited to play foorball.All those that had some knowledge of what was going on should be behind bars as well as the perv Jerry and clean up Penn st and put this all behind them.Penn st imo was a great football program and in the future i wish them the same once again.Alot of schools have this hush thing but to rape kids it was way out of hand.When this is all finished i hope the best for the Lions at Penn st and their fans that they will move on and become what they once were a great school with a great sports program.

17. thebigdawg25 says: Jul 9, 2012 11:55 AM

Someone should “blast her atrocious behavior”. This article alone paints a clear picture of her integrity and motives. Not a credible source for information because she lacks any basic understanding of human rights.

18. Ben Kercheval says: Jul 9, 2012 12:35 PM

“This appears to be an attempt to invent scandal on a slow news day.”

Yep, that’s it. Busted!

19. mogogo1 says: Jul 9, 2012 12:36 PM

Scott Hevel says:

Almost every student hated her.
    ____________________________

And almost every student absolutely adored JoePa and his buddy Sandusky who was selflessly running a charity. Congratulations, Scott. You’ve finally learned the life lesson that things can change dramatically in an incredibly short period of time.

20. dadawg77 says: Jul 9, 2012 12:39 PM

Sounds like she was power hungry, overreached and got what she deserved. However those emails still represent that something was rotten at PSU. Plus the other leaked email which basically confirmed Joe committed perjury and protected child rapist in order to protect his program. Joe legacy won’t survive this and it shouldn’t.

21. great8brewer says: Jul 9, 2012 12:39 PM

If JoePa was so bad why didnt the spineless admin take action to remove him? Because he was Penn State!!

I dont condone what happened. He made an abhorrent error in judgement.

Perhaps you all should go look in your closet and clean it out before passing judgement, especially on a dead man who cannot defend himself.

Bunch of couch priests and lawyers!!

22. jcarne9014 says: Jul 9, 2012 12:44 PM

@great8 – This is not a case of JoePa have skeletons in his closet…this is potentially criminal behavior!

23. mhalt99 says: Jul 9, 2012 12:57 PM

great8brewer says:

Bunch of couch priests and lawyers!!

um…..I just checked, wait um let me double check to be sure. NO I didn’t cover up the rapes of a bunch of little boys, hang out with the guy and cover his tracks for the last couple of decades while pretending to be a nice guy. Did you?

oh and extremely poor choice of wording: couch priests? Does anyone from Penn State watch or read any form of news other than football scores?

24. coolhorn says: Jul 9, 2012 1:35 PM

A lot of things might have happened. A lot of motives may have been involved. I prefer to deal with what has been established as fact.

Joe Paterno was told that his former defensive coordinator was observed in a shower performing sex acts with an underage boy. Joe Paterno sent some kind of report up the chain to his AD. Joe Paterno took no further action. There is no indication of any kind of followup of his report by Joe Paterno. There is no indication that Joe Paterno made any effort to see if police were looking into the matter.

I don’t have any interest in this, beyond that of an observer, and I don’t have any ax to grind with the late Joe Paterno. I don’t wish to pass judgment on Joe Paterno…I just look at the facts.

He sent a report to the AD, and there was no followup. That strikes me as the bare minimum of action most people would take given what Paterno was told…that one of his former coaches was having illicit relations with underage boys. Anyone I know, and myself included, would want to know what came of the report, were police investigating the matter, and if they weren’t, why weren’t they? Anyone I know would want to know if Sandusky was going to be barred from Penn State facilities pending completion of the investigation. Anyone I know would be a lot more concerned about the welfare of the alleged victims than the reputation of the school’s football program.

Those are the facts, and my interpretation of them. It’s not passing judgment on Paterno to me to say, at the very least, he was guilty of the sin of omission by not following up on his report to his AD. I think allegations of the rape of underage boys is a serious enough matter to require some kind of followup. Whether or not Joe Paterno was some kind of “dictator” at Penn State really isn’t significant, except in how it might have affected the investigation into Sandusky’s activities. The suggestion that Paterno might have orchestrated the squashing of the Sandusky investigation is just that, somebody’s allegation, right now. What Paterno didn’t do, followup on his report, is serious enough.

25. ghengy says: Jul 9, 2012 2:08 PM

What the hell does this have to do with Sandusky??? NOTHING, THATS WHAT!

The witch hunt is on folks. And I’ve just read every account of this story I can find, and there is no link to the Sandusky problem at all. None, zero, nada, zilch!

Paterno was old school WRT his players, so what? Saying that school officials “mimicked” his approach to the Sandusky thing doesn’t implicate him one bit. Get real.

26. geo1113 says: Jul 9, 2012 2:50 PM

thebigdawg25 says:
    Jul 9, 2012 11:55 AM

—————————–

Nothing like being melodramatic, bigdawg. Which human rights did you have in mind? You (and Scott) read a clearly biased article against the woman and you know everything. I can think of an alternative. She challenged the status quo and the status quo didn’t like being challenged.

27. phillyphever says: Jul 9, 2012 3:13 PM

There’s a function over at PSU called THON, which helps donate money for research for childhood cancer. Maybe it should switch to raising money to pay for damages the 10 boy/men suffered under Sandusky. That should help somewhat. Oh, and as for JoePa: rot in hell you swine.

28. quizguy66 says: Jul 9, 2012 3:13 PM

@ndnut:
    “I’m pretty sure that there are other coaches in major college football who have preferred methods of discipline that will always protect them, whatever the cost. ”
    —–

ndnut, while this is certainly true, Penn State’s program built itself up to be special and different than everyone else – that they had higher standards. Putting themselves up on the mantle takes away their ability to use the “everybody else does it too” defense, IMO.

-QG

29. thebigdawg25 says: Jul 9, 2012 3:44 PM

Geo1113

How is attempting to take away any freedom of speech rights considered “challenging the status quo”? As for which human right am I referring to, yep its the one that is the first protected amendment of the constitution. This insane woman tried to control what the student newspaper wrote and what the student news channel reported. If she didn’t like it, she tried to use her “power” to stop it. She went as far to say that she would stop funding the newspaper if she could filter whatever she wanted. She tried to eliminate any student board because she wanted to control everything. Sounds like she wanted to be the dictator and when she got fired she couldn’t deal with it. I wouldn’t be surprised if she tried to take away THON (the largest student run philanthropy in the world for pediatric cancer). This lady was clearly power tripping and has no problem saying whatever to get anyone’s attention. I can’t believe the audacity of some people saying how clearly biased this was. Every psu article written in the past 6 months has been biased against the univeristy and trying to put blame on students who were 10 years old when this sad situation happened. This lady was thrown out of uconn before she tried to ruin the student body of penn state. It’s not bias, its fact. And since everyone seems to take every article that’s ever been written as fact, why can’t I? Also apparently the haters haven’t reached the largest alumni association in the world because psu is still getting 208 million donations.

30. onceuponatimeinsports says: Jul 9, 2012 4:05 PM

It’s difficult to believe anyone connected to Penn St, alumni, students or just plain fans, are still defending Paterno in this matter.

It’s been clear for several decades now that Joe Paterno was the power behind the throne at Penn St. He and he alone controlled everything that had to do with the football program and his reach and influence went far beyond Beaver Stadium. I don’t know a single Penn St fan that hasn’t bragged to one extent or another over the years about how powerful JoePa was, often reciting the case where Curley and Spanier went to his house and politely implied it might be time for him to step down only to be tossed out of Paterno’s home and told by Joe he’d retire when he was good and ready and nobody, I mean NOBODY was going to tell him when that time was.

Now they act shocked when it turns out there was a concerted effort to hide Sandusky’s crimes from the outside world and it not only turns out Paterno knew about the cover-up but appears to be the instigator of the whole affair!

What did they think went on at Penn St that Sandusky was caught molesting children both in ’98 and ’01 but the rest of the world only learned about it a year ago or so? Did they really think JoePa and the administrators had nothing to hide? Really!?!

The single most influential and powerful figure at the university and Curley, Schultz and Spanier just carried out a cover-up and without his knowledge or consent!?! Did any college football fan with an IQ in the double digits not see this coming!?!

The emails from ’97 from Joe talking about how he’ll decide what discipline, if any, his players receive and the emails from the Ms. Triponey go to show how controlling and manipulative Joe Paterno was, especially in matters that affected his football program. And that’s why the cover-up of Sandusky’s crimes was begun. To protect JoePa’s precious football program from the stain and humiliation of being linked to something as horrid as child molestation.

Paterno chose his team over the innocent lives destroyed by this monsters subsequent acts, plain and simple. His family, his university and its alumni, students and fans are going to have to bear the weight and shame of his actions, or in this case, inactions, for decades to come.

The lawsuits and NCAA sanctions that are sure to come won’t come close to wiping the slate clean on what these monsters allowed to happen.

Shame on Paterno, shame on his football program and shame on those who still defend him!

31. wethog66 says: Jul 9, 2012 4:20 PM

I am not a PSU fan, and I am not a PSU hater. I am your average College Football Fan. And seeing stuff like this trickle out is breaking my heart. Bobby Bowden was as crooked as a question mark, JoePa was Mr. Squeaky Clean.

Now that idea of JoePa is gone forever. Sad.

32. chiefagc5675 says: Jul 9, 2012 4:21 PM

This e-mail from a woman with a Borderline Personality Disorder has nothing to do with Paterno and Sandusky- I’m not surprised that so many stupid people don’t understand it-so many Americans have become lame brains since 2000.
    Where is this woman now- she was kicked out of Conn. and PSU- why would PSU hire her after what she did at UCONN? Someone lied on the referral. She has a serious disorder and should not be in a position of power over anyone but herself- like in an inpatient Mental Health facility. I still believe that the strongest attackers of paterno were sexually abused as kids and didn’t report the abuse. Now they relive it every time some kid is reported to be abused- even those who were abused 100 times (for the trips?)

33. corvusrex96 says: Jul 9, 2012 5:04 PM

I am not a Paterno supporter but this article is way off in trying to link this to the Sanduskey scandal.

As I understand it the reason the Athletic Dept wanted school discipline for off campus violations handled internally is that the school is only made aware of football player violations because they are written up in the paper or ESPN . They are not activily calling the State College PD and asking for a list of names and offences. Random run-of- the-mill off campus issues for the rest of the student body go completley unnoticed/unreported to the Office of Student affairs

So if a player got a speeding ticket it was reported in the local paper and then this Triponey nutcase wanted to enforce conduct rules at the same time when she had no idea what was going on off-campus with the other 40,000 students

34. billmead1976 says: Jul 9, 2012 5:24 PM

LACK OF INSTITUTIONAL CONTROL.

35. stairwayto7 says: Jul 9, 2012 5:29 PM

Let’s see what we have so far:
    – Media blaming a dead guy and not focusing on the people still alive
    – Joe Pa NEVER MOLESTED A KID
    – Emails saying the name Joe, however where is the emails Joe sent? What Joe are they talking about?
    -Vicky Triponey(?) tried to disipline students..NAME THE STUDENTS!
    – $208 million in donations!
    – For the trolls who say shut downt he university, the Catholic church and the Boy Scouts have not shut down after all their molestations done by many and kept secret!
    So all you Division 3 fans who act like you ever been at a real university, crawl back under your rock!

36. brewcrewfan54 says: Jul 9, 2012 5:34 PM

Stairway, way to look the other way. Just like Joe did.

37. goodfieldnohit says: Jul 9, 2012 5:41 PM

You are STATE PENN

38. vincentbojackson says: Jul 9, 2012 5:43 PM

The problem is that we put these high profile coaches on a pedestal to begin with.

Everyone thought Paterno and Tressel we’re such high moral guys. Both ended up being outed as liars that thought they were above the rules. In the end they only cared about covering up wrong doings in their programs.

At least we always knew Bobby Petrino was an a-hole.

39. geo1113 says: Jul 9, 2012 5:47 PM

bigdawg,

I really don’t care about the editorial slant that PSU has received over the past 6 months. It has nothing to do with the link that you posted. It was an article written by someone who clearly had an axe to grind. To you, it was all you needed to know. To me (as someone who doesn’t take every word written as fact), the article you referenced lacked balance and didn’t present the alternative, i.e. Triponey’s side.

Now to freedom of speech, a misunderstood concept. The people who didn’t like what Triponey was trying to do still had freedom of speech. Removing the vehicle does not remove the freedom of speech. It merely removes the funding and sponsorship. So nobody’s human rights were infringed upon. They were free to seek alternative vehicles.

40. granadafan says: Jul 9, 2012 6:06 PM

“Scott Hevel says:
    If you have any interest in knowing how bad she was, here was an article written about her time at PSU (and UConn before that).”
    ==========================================

Ah, ye olde attack the accuser/ witness trick. You Penn St homers are enacting a witch hunt and character assassination. I note that the article was written, wait for it….. TODAY! Gee, what an amazining coincidence that this character assassination on Triponey would come out the same day that old emails surfaced exposing your tainted saint Paterno as a power hungry protector of child molesters.

For years, the local media tried to investigate Sandusky, but were blackballed by Paterno and co. He could intimidate the local yokels, but not the national media. You know what? Thank god for the national media which exposed Paterno and finally put Sandusky in prison where he belongs.

41. dadawg77 says: Jul 9, 2012 6:45 PM

This email isnt the nail in the coffin it was the last one. The AD says after talking to Joe Pa I think we shouldn’t go to the police. That is follow up and that is what Joe Pa lied about. As for where are Joe’s emails, did Joe ever use emails? These latest emails show the power Joe had. The woman was carrying someones water as she was silencing administration critics but when she went against Joe she lost. Its looking more and more that there was a cover up and Joe had a part in it.

42. realhumanrights says: Jul 9, 2012 7:09 PM

PSU alumni and students – we need another voice on this issue, other than those who are determined to deny any accountability or responsibility for the failure to act, the failure to notify the police, and the failure to notify the child welfare organization in Pennsylvania regarding Mr. Sandusky’s actions (of which he has been convicted in a court of law).

We need a voice of responsibility that is not focused on denial, defense, or misdirection, but that accepts that there was wrong-doing and calls for accountability, responsibility, and change at PSU to reject the environment to allowed these actions over a decade.

I urge you to become part of that voice of responsibility, and visit our new web page and petition for PSU Alumni and Students for Children’s Rights and Dignity at http://www.psuchildrights.com.

A legacy of responsibility, accountability, and unwavering commitment to children’s human rights – should be the only legacy we are concerned about at Penn State.

Jeffrey Imm, PSU Alumnus

43. 11thstreetmafia says: Jul 9, 2012 7:12 PM

What is the definition of “lack of institutional control?” My fellow football fans, this is only the beginning.

44. mogogo1 says: Jul 9, 2012 7:19 PM

At some point, the JoePa defenders are going to need to reconcile the difference between who Joe Paterno really was versus the idealized grandpa figure they created in their minds. It’s hard when our heroes fail, but we can’t just stick our heads in the sand and pretend it didn’t happen.

The earth isn’t flat, the moon isn’t made of cheese, and you really didn’t have a clue who JoePa was no matter how much you imagined you did. He was a painfully human individual who proved that absolute power corrupts absolutely. Protecting his image, his longtime friend, and the university he’d called home for 60 years meant more to him than kids being raped. The saintly figure he was built up to be never would have acted that way but that fictional character never existed.

45. coolhorn says: Jul 9, 2012 9:50 PM

I’ve read comments at various sites on the Sandusky investigation and trial, and what Penn State’s administrators and head football coach Joe Paterno did or didn’t do in the years leading up to Sandusky’s arrest and trial. I include my comments as well…and I think there’s one very important fact that needs to be put out there.

Joe Paterno, Grant Spanier, and other Penn State administrators were very important figures at the school, but they were not, in and of themselves, Penn State. They were individuals who apparently made some horrendous decisions where the safety and welfare of scores of underage boys were concerned.

I’ve seen a lot of comments that seem to want to blame the whole school for Sandusky’s aberrant behavior, and I think that’s painting with too broad of a brush. Penn State’s athletes were not complicit in any coverup of the Sandusky child rapes. Neither were the Penn State students, or professors.

Sandusky’s been found guilty of raping the young boys, and it’s obvious that Joe Paterno, Grant Spanier, and other officials barely lifted a finger to prevent those assaults, and apparently did their best to stall any investigation and keep the school’s athletic department out of the news. It’s really hard for me to find words strong enough to state how repugnant I find Sandusky’s behavior, and the others’ lack of effort to stop it, to be. Whatever the punishments of Sandusky and the indicted school officials are, it won’t make up for the harm that was permanently done to the victims.

I just don’t think it’s fair to indict Penn State, it’s students, athletes, and professors for the failures of those in power at the school…that’s guilt by association and I don’t think it applies in this case.

46. bill2018 says: Jul 10, 2012 2:21 PM

Maybe this woman was bad news for the university. Power hungry, mean or whatever! The fact is that there is an email from her, to others, expressing her anger at how the football players and staff were getting away with everything. Seems very relevant to me and I’m sure there will be more to come. It seems to me that there are MANY people within PSU to blame for this scandal.

47. blastfurnaceknows says: Jul 10, 2012 2:42 PM

Coolhorn, I’m sure there have been commenters that have done as you allege and no, the student athletes and professors should not be so “indicted.” But, there are a few things that you should consider that gives so many pause about that/your community at the moment:

1) The constant reference to this being the result of Sandusky’s “aberrant” behavior. Although your comment certainly acknowledges the culpability of so many others (Spanier, Paterno, et. al.) who were sadly and inexplicably complicit in the child rapes committed by that monster, sometimes right on campus, MANY PSU supporters have been unwilling to acknowledge what has now borne out to be true. The leadership at PSU could also be fairly described as “aberrant” as it is clear it was far more concerned about the football program and its coach’s image than it was about the welfare of children being raped by one of their own. The frustration this causes so many is certainly understandable. Sandusky was not solely at fault; PSU SHOULD have and COULD have put an end to it back in 2001, but apparently that notion was too “uncomfortable” at the time.

2) The students rioted after Paterno’s firing. So much was known at that time, but the students went on #@#@-spree, despite that. Sorry, but it reflected horribly on the student body and no one should be apologetic about casting aspersions on a student body that would behave that way, considering the details of the rape allegations known at that time. It seemed to those of us outside that community that the student body, like its leadership, was choosing to support the guilty (not Sandusky, but certainly Paterno and even Spanier and Curley in some instances), rather than extend empathy to the rape victims. You can not ask anyone to disregard those sickening images.

3) The combination of the two above, leads many to wonder about the placement of that community’s moral compass. To this day, we still have certain members of the PSU football fandom who will shout, swear or profanely rant about how Paterno did all he could have done and how PSU will survive this, if somehow it is the victim in this tragedy. It may be just my opinion, but I find enabler a much more apt description. It was child rape. Child rape. Aside from murder, is there any other offense that should have led anyone with a moral compass to go to state authorities, tell the charity, stop the rapes or ignore school/team allegiance/image and not rant, rave, ignore facts, tell lies and riot in full view of the country?

Though I am not entirely unsympathetic to a student who had no involvement in the riots feeling like he or she has been “lumped in” with the guilty, I also recognize that there are few other places, if any, where this “aberrant” behavior could go on under so many “blind” eyes for so many years, and when it does come to the light, the students opt to riot, rather than contemplate.

48. fnc111 says: Jul 10, 2012 2:46 PM

Creepiest fan base award goes to Penn State. Just an odd group that defends child rapists.

The good ole boys at PSU thought they could cover this up forever and keep it inside what now is the most backwoods circle/area in the sports world.

49. anmd1 says: Jul 10, 2012 2:49 PM

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Take the hit and shutup PSU fan, yes the same PSU fan that was throwing the holier than thou smirk to Vest Tatts and Rich Rod practicing to much.

Your lasting legacy from the Paterno coverup will be your motto.

” We Are PED State.”

50. blastfurnaceknows says: Jul 10, 2012 4:37 PM

One other thing frustrates (maybe infuriates, is a better adjective) people outside this community that I neglected to mention in my prior post and that is a “defense” I have seen raised here and again and again before by PSU backers and that is the incessant request for the critics to “look in their own closet, because they too have skeletons.”

My response has been and still is, “wow, really?” We all have something like complicity in child rape in our backgrounds? I’d say this says more about those asserting that defense than anything else can and, as I mentioned above, really speaks poorly of the “community” of backers willing to assert it.

51. poppyitis says: Jul 11, 2012 1:23 PM

I am not commenting on Paterno as a coach. only as a human being. I am glad to see his real character come out. I am sorry for his wife and son, but he, no doubt, knew about this situation many years ago. As a coach maybe. as a man, father, parent, husband and so on, he was and is a failure.

52. 12is3times4 says: Jul 11, 2012 8:36 PM

Ghengy: “What the hell does this have to do with Sandusky??? NOTHING, THATS WHAT!”

Unless/until the NCAA gets involved. Then it may well become the difference between the Penn State football program merely being subjected to garden-variety NCAA sanctions (for Paterno’s alleged policy of shielding his players from outside discipline, which could be construed as an improper benefit to players) and getting the death penalty (if it is shown that Paterno’s coddling of Sandusky was just a variation on that same policy).