- This slipped through the cracks from yesterday, but Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham is now the team’s associate head coach as well.
- Who are the potential BCS busters for 2012? National Football Post takes a look.
- Alabama has a video for the Bryant Museum and it is trolltastic.
- Depending on how much you love your eyesight, this is either the worst or the best field turf ever.
- Big Ten mascots dancing to “Call Me Maybe.” I take back every bad thing I’ve ever said about the Big Ten.
- This might be the funniest thing you read today. Or maybe not. Either way, it’s awesome.
- Here’s who is attending Big Ten media days. And for the ACC.
- Accused Auburn shooter Desmonte Leonard has had his case sent to a Lee County grand jury. Two former Auburn football players were killed and lineman Eric Mack was wounded in the shooting.
Turns out Steve Spurrier isn’t the only iconic college football figure to retire this week.
Texas announced Tuesday evening Bevo XIV has been diagnosed with bovine leukemia and has been retired to his pasture, effective immediately.
Bevo XIV missed Saturday’s stunning upset of then-No. 10 Oklahoma with what the school called a “life threatening” illness, and rumors circulated around the internet this week he had passed away.
Bevo XIV officially hangs up his horns with a 106-41 record with two national championship appearances.
There is no word at press time on a possible debut of Bevo XV.
Urban Dictionary defines “Clemsoning” as “the act of an inexplicably disappointing performance, usually within the context of a college football season.”
Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney was asked about the phenomenon following the Tigers’ destruction of Georgia Tech Saturday and promptly went off. The question, asked by ESPN’s David Hale, was in reference to Swinney’s program shaking the label – Saturday marked Clemson’s 34th straight win over an unranked opponent – but Swinney didn’t see it that way.
Armed with some new facts (Clemson SID Tim Bourret noted 50 teams have fallen as ranked opponents to unranked foes since the Tigers last did so on Nov. 19, 2011), Swinney again targeted the “Clemsoning” label.
“I think it’s an agenda. It’s just bias,” Swinney told the Charleston (S.C.) Post & Courier Tuesday. “People are uneducated. They’re just ignorant and lazy because they’re not looking at the facts. If they did, they’d be focused on other schools and not Clemson. They’d be dialed in on what Clemson has done. There aren’t three other schools in the country as consistent as Clemson, in all aspects.”
I hate to break it to you, Dabo: you are absolutely correct, but the term, as they say, has been coined.
Just go beat Florida State, beat South Carolina, win the ACC and win a national title and maybe Urban Dictionary will delete that pesky page out of a sign of respect.
Also, No. 5 Clemson hosts unranked Boston College on Saturday. This would be a very, very unfortunate time for the Tigers to suffer an upset.