Joe Paternor, Bobby Bowden

Bobby Bowden agrees Paterno statue should be taken down


Or, if you’re feeling snarky, turned so it’s looking the other way.

(Don’t get mad at me; that was the running joke for the past 24 hours)

But the possibility of removing the statue of former Penn State coach Joe Paterno following the release of the Freeh report is serious matter. As I opined yesterday, such a move to do so — if there’s a move to do so — should be Penn State’s prerogative only.

That doesn’t mean others don’t share the opinion that it is indeed time for the memorializing of Paterno to be done away with. Interestingly enough, former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, a long-time friend of Paterno’s and legendary coach in his own right, agreed it was time to remove the statue outside Beaver Stadium.

“Should his statue be removed? I hear that [on TV]. In my opinion, yes,” Bowden said via the Altoona Mirror Thursday. “Every time somebody walks by and sees that statue, they’re not going to remember the 80 good years. They’re going to remember this thing with Sandusky. And I say for Joe’s sake, for the family’s sake, I would remove that statue. … I mean, just think, every time you go to a ballgame at Penn State and they shine that camera on that statue, that’s going to be brought up again. So if I was Penn State and I was Joe’s family, I’d say remove all that stuff.”

From what I can gather, the desire to remove Paterno’s statue is centered on the principle of what the former coach did, or rather didn’t, do in the Sandusky scandal. Bowden, on the other hand, views it as a way to preserve how Paterno was viewed for decades.

“That’s not the way we knew him,” Bowden said. “Joe was always a guy that knew where he was, he knew what needed to be done and he never shied away from a decision. And for this to happen is just so unbecoming, it’s hard for me and people who knew him personally … to accept it.”

It should be noted that Bowden added his remorse remained with Sandusky’s victims — and frankly that’s where our thoughts should continue to be as well — but as a friend, this has to be a difficult for him to comprehend.

Colorado loses starting LB Kenneth Olugbode for 4-6 weeks

during the Rocky Mountain Showdown at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on September 19, 2015 in Denver, Colorado.
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Colorado had already lost one starting inside linebacker to injury.  Now, the Buffs have lost another.

Kenneth Olugbode sustained an unspecified leg injury in the Week 5 loss to Oregon. As a result, Olugbode will miss 4-6 weeks.

At minimum, Olugbode will miss games against Arizona State, Arizona, Oregon State and UCLA, possibly returning for the Nov. 7 game against Stanford. Missing six weeks would see him miss the Stanford and USC games, returning, Nov. 21 vs. Washington State.

It’s going to be a big loss,” defensive tackle Justin Solis said according to the Denver Post. “It starts up front with us, the D-line. Not having K.O. out there is a huge loss, but it’s definitely something we accept as a challenge as a D-line. We’re going to step it up while he’s out.”

Olugbode had started all five games this season after starting all 12 games as a sophomore last season. Ryan Severson is expected to take his place in the starting lineup.

Dismissed Wolverine Logan Tuley-Tillman charged with three felonies

Logan Tuley-Tillman
Michigan Athletics

Back on September 10, it was announced that Jim Harbaugh had dismissed Logan Tuley-Tillman for “conduct unacceptable for a Michigan student-athlete.”  Now we know what that unacceptable conduct was.  Allegedly.

Wednesday morning, is reporting, Tuley-Tillman was charged with three felonies stemming from a Sept. 4 incident in which he’s accused of filming a sex act with a woman without her knowledge. Tuley-Tillman was officially charged with two counts of capturing/distributing an image of an unclothed person and one count of using a computer to commit a crime.

From the report:

Capturing/distributing an image of an unclothed person is punishable by up to two years in prison, a fine of no more than $2,000, or both. Using a computer to commit a crime, in this case, would be punishable by up to 10 years in prison, a fine of no more than $5,000, or both.

The incident occurred in the 300 block of Catherine Street Sept. 4. Tuley-Tillman is accused of filming a portion of a sexual encounter with a woman without her knowledge and then transmitting it to his personal device without her permission, according to Ann Arbor police.

Tuley-Tillman was a four-star member of Brady Hoke‘s second-to-last UM recruiting class, rated as the No. 24 offensive tackle in the country and the No. 7 player at any position in the state of Illinois.  He played in one game as a redshirt freshman last season, the season opener against Appalachian State.

This season, he had been listed as the No. 2 left tackle and played in the 2015 opener.