Joe Paterno, Susan Paterno

NYT: Paterno got ‘sweeter deal’ in middle of Sandusky investigation


As is often the case when scandals of this magnitude are uncovered, the reputation that Penn State and former football coach Joe Paterno spent decades building together continues to be torn to shreds.

Thursday’s Freeh report uncovered that the longtime coach was aware of a 1998 investigation of former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky related to “grooming” a victim for sexual abuse, something Paterno lied about as recently as this past January in a Washington Post interview.

Based on the internal investigation initiated by the school’s Board of Trustees last November, Paterno and several high-ranking university officials knew what Sandusky was doing and failed to take proper measures against it for over a decade.

Now, a New York Times story reports that Paterno and PSU officials were working through contract negotiations in 2011 even though the Pennsylvania state attorney general’s office was investigating Sandusky again for child-sex abuse, and that Paterno had already testified in front of the grand jury.

According to the story, Paterno knew in January, 2011, that prosecutors were investigating Sandusky. That same month, Paterno began negotiating his contract, which was not set to expire until the end of 2012, with his bosses. By August, 2011, Paterno and former university president Graham Spanier reportedly reached an agreement.

That agreement was to pay Paterno $3 million to retire at the end of the ’11 season, roughly $2 million more than what he reportedly earned every year in salary before other incentives. Other details said to be included were the use of the university’s private plane and a luxury box at Beaver Stadium for him and his family for the next 25 years. Additionally, $350,000 in interest-free loans to Paterno would be forgiven as part of the deal.

Impeccable timing.

The Times reports that a majority of the board “was kept in the dark about the arrangement” until November. When the Sandusky scandal broke open that month, Paterno told the trustees he would retire on his own following the end of the season, even though that was already the apparent agreement. He never got that chance, as he and Spanier were fired shortly thereafter.

What reportedly followed was a back and forth both among trustees, as well as the board and the Paterno family, over the details of the contract. “There were some who argued that it was unseemly to pay the remainder of the money and other perks owed to Mr. Paterno,” the Times reports. “They wondered whether, given Mr. Paterno’s failings, it might be possible to nullify the contract, or at least renegotiate it and reduce the payout.

“Others worried about the hostility they would face if they tried to strip Mr. Paterno, still beloved in many quarters of the campus, of money that he was contractually owed — a prospect that grew even more worrisome after he died on Jan. 22 this year.”

Eventually, the Paterno family got almost everything it wanted, except for the aforementioned private plane and luxury box (it was offered the choice of two others), in a package worth reportedly around $5.5 million in April.

“We were providing for payments due under the contract,” said Frank T. Guadagnino, a lawyer hired by the board in November, to the Times. “So we weren’t really negotiating.”

Board chair Karen Peetz said Friday after a meeting that there is no timeline for removing Paterno’s name and likeness from multiple areas around the university’s campus.

LSU LB Corey Thompson looking for a sixth season from NCAA

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Kenyan Drake #17 of the Alabama Crimson Tide rushes away from Corey Thompson #23 of the LSU Tigers during the third quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Corey Thompson is hoping this season isn’t his last at LSU.

The linebacker sustained an unspecified lower-leg injury during the first few days of summer camp in August.  It was originally thought that Thompson would be back in 6-8 weeks, but interim head coach Ed Orgeron confirmed Tuesday that the fifth-year senior will likely be sidelined for all of 2016.

“I think he’s going to redshirt,” Orgeron said according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “I think he’s going to redshirt and that decision has been made, just final the other day. I don’t think I’m talking out of hand, but I think that’s what’s going to happen.”

Thompson has what’s seemingly a slam-dunk case for a sixth season of eligibility that would allow him to play in 2017.  In addition to all of 2016, Thompson sat out the entire 2014 season because of injury.

According to Orgeron, Thompson will seek a waiver from the NCAA.

In 2013 and 2015, Thompson started eight of the 19 games in which he played at safety.  He moved to linebacker after the 2015 season, and was penciled in as a starter prior to the injury.

Memphis WR’s car shot up after physical altercation with teammate

Getty Images
1 Comment

An odd and somewhat disturbing situation is ongoing in Memphis involving two Tiger football players.

According to a police report obtained by the Memphis Commercial Appeal, several gunshots were fired at the vehicle of Tigers wide receiver Jae’Lon Oglesby, who wasn’t in the vehicle at te time but heard the shots from inside his apartment.  The Commercial Appeal writes that Oglesby “noticed bullet holes in two windows and both of the passenger-side doors of his Nissan Altima, as well as bullet damage to the roof of the car.”

Oglesby told police he did not see who fired the shots, but did indicate that he had been involved in what was described as a physical altercation with a teammate, cornerback Kam Prewitt, earlier in the day.

Police are currently investigating the incident, and the university is aware of the situation.

“We are aware of the incident involving two student-athletes on the University of Memphis campus yesterday and are cooperating fully with the investigation,” athletic director Tom Bowen said in a statement. “All student-athletes are subject to the University of Memphis Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities, as well as University and athletic department policies.

“In addition, we are monitoring a second situation involving shots fired at a student-athlete’s parked vehicle at an off-campus location. We have offered our full support to the local authorities investigating that incident.”

Following Wednesday’s practice, head coach Mike Norvell stated that “[w]e’re in the evaluation stage of everything that has happened.” Neither Oglesby nor Prewitt were at that practice.

The past two seasons, Oglesby, a sophomore, has caught 25 passes for 213 yards and a touchdown.  Five of those catches and 46 of the yards have come in 2016.  He also has carried the ball eight times for 64 yards.

A redshirt freshman, Prewitt has yet to play a down for the Tigers.  According to the Commercial Appeal he was suspended during summer camp for undisclosed reasons.

WKU’s leading rusher suspended for first half for role in Week 8 brawl

MIAMI, FL - DECEMBER 21: Anthony Wales #20 of the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers rushes during the 2015 Miami Beach Bowl against the South Florida Bulls at Marlins Park on December 21, 2015 in Miami, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The fallout from a “complete melee” in Week 8 will bleed into Week 9 for Western Kentucky.

Conference USA announced Tuesday that running back Anthony Wales has been suspended for the first half of WKU’s game this weekend against FAU. Wales was one of myriad players involved in an in-game, on-field brawl last Saturday against Old Dominion.

Every player on each team was given an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty from the officiating crew. Additionally, Monarch defensive back Jamshyer McUmber was ejected from the game.

“Conference USA takes sportsmanship and player safety very seriously,” a statement from the league began, “and the conference appreciates the efforts of both coaching staffs and the game officials to restore order following the incident and play the remainder of the game without any additional issues.”

“The league informed us of their decision,” WKU athletic director Todd Stewart said in his statement. “Coach [Jeff] Brohm addressed the situation from our perspective on Saturday and again today. Our focus is on this week’s game at FAU and our goal of winning another conference championship.”

In addition to Wales, ODU safety Christian Bynum has been suspended for the first half of this week’s game against UTEP.  WKU wide receivers Nicholas Norris and Kylen Towner and wide receiver Kesean Strong and defensive back Rob Thompson of ODU were issued public reprimands but were not suspended.

Wales is far and away the Hilltoppers leading rusher, topping the team in rushing yards (739), rushing touchdowns (11) and yards per carry (6.5). The rushing touchdowns are tied for fifth nationally.

Quinton Baker, second on the team with 310 yards, will get the start in place of Wales.

Gus Malzahn says ‘no doubt’ Kerryon Johnson will play vs. Ole Miss

AUBURN, AL - SEPTEMBER 10: Running back Kerryon Johnson #21 of the Auburn Tigers dives into the end zone for a touchdown during their game against the Arkansas State Red Wolves at Jordan Hare Stadium on September 10, 2016 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kerryon Johnson‘s absence from the field will apparently be a brief one.

The running back sustained a sprained ankle in Auburn’s Week 6 win over Mississippi State, and, coming off a bye, the football program was initially optimistic he’d be available for the Week 8 game against Arkansas.  Instead, he was a game-day decision for the Razorbacks.

While Johnson missed that game, that won’t be the case this Saturday as Gus Malzahn declared his starting back ready to go against Ole Miss.

“He practiced yesterday. He will play, there’s no doubt about that,” the head coach Gus Malzahn said during the weekly SEC teleconference Wednesday. “We’re trying to be smart about it.”

At the time of his injury, Johnson’s 538 yards rushing and six touchdowns were tops among all Tiger backs.  Kamryn Pettway ran for a career-high 192 yards against te Razorbacks, and now leads the team with 697 yards.  Both Johnson and Pettway are part of an offense that ranks third nationally in rushing yards per game (302.9).