Pittsburgh Voted In To ACC League

Pitt settles its exit dispute with the Big East too

When Syracuse reached an exit agreement with the Big East earlier this week allowing the Orange to leave for the ACC in 2013, it was expected that Pitt wouldn’t be too far behind.

That has indeed become the case. In a joint release, the Big East and Pitt announced that the Panthers will also be joining the ACC on July 1, 2013 as well. And, like Syracuse, Pitt will pay a buyout of $7.5 million, or 150 percent of the old conference bylaws mandating a $5 million exit fee.

Pitt had previously filed suit against the Big East in May, likely out of fear that they would be held to the 27-month waiting period since the conference was going through a period of instability with leadership (John Marinatto had “resigned”) and lacked a solid TV deal.

Below is the release from the Big East:

The Big East Conference and the University of Pittsburgh announced today that both organizations have reached an agreement on Pittsburgh’s departure from the Big East and move to the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). Under the terms of the agreement reached between the Big East and Pittsburgh, Big East members will vote, in accordance with the Big East’s bylaws, to terminate Pittsburgh’s membership in the Big East effective July 1, 2013, at which point Pittsburgh will join the ACC. In addition to other consideration, Pittsburgh will make a total cash payment to the Big East of $7.5 million, which includes the $5 million withdrawal fee under the Big East Bylaws applicable at the time Pittsburgh gave notice of withdrawal.

“This is another step for the Big East to take toward a very exciting future. With the addition of our eight new members, the Big East will be incredibly strong and vibrant,” said Joe Bailey, Interim Commissioner of the Big East.

Steve Pederson, Athletic Director for the University of Pittsburgh said: “We have appreciated and enjoyed our membership in the Big East and wish them much success in the future. We are anxious to compete in our final season in the Big East and look forward to an exciting future in the Atlantic Coast Conference.”

Oregon president takes thinly-veiled shot at Brady Hoke

CORVALLIS, OR - NOVEMBER 26: Defensive coordinator Brady Hoke of the Oregon Ducks dresses his players during the third quarter of the game against the Oregon State Beavers at Reser Stadium on November 26, 2016 in Corvallis, Oregon. The Beavers won 34-24. (Photo by Steve Dykes/Getty Images)

Brady Hoke had a miserable one-and-done at Oregon, and this piling on just adds to it.

Brought in to turnaround the Ducks’ defense, Hoke instead was in charge of one of the worst units in the country.  Their play, in very large part, helped bring an abrupt end to Mark Helfrich‘s three-year tenure in Eugene.

Helfrich was officially replaced by USF’s Willie Taggart earlier this week.  The boss of Taggart’s boss, UO president Michael Schill, had one piece of advice and one piece of advice alone for his new head football coach.

Can we take that as confirmation that Hoke won’t be retained by the new regime?  At least statistically, though, the president has a point, no matter how clumsily or ill-advised it may have been.

Out of the 128 teams listed on the NCAA’s official stats website, the Ducks were 126th in scoring and yards allowed; 121st in third-down percentage and rushing yards allowed; 117th in turnovers forced; and 114th in passing yards. Last season, the Ducks were 114th in scoring and 116th in yards.

And Taggart’s defense this season? The Bulls were 86th in scoring defense and 120th in yards allowed.  So, there’s that.

Malik Zaire pens thank-you note to Notre Dame students, staff

SOUTH BEND, IN - SEPTEMBER 10: Malik Zaire #9 of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish throws a pass in the second half against the Nevada Wolf Pack at Notre Dame Stadium on September 10, 2016 in South Bend, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)