Montee Ball, Marcus Lattimore highlight 52 on Doak Walker watch list

6 Comments

We’re getting to the home stretch of the preseason watch list email inbox stuffing. Thank you for your patience.

Today’s watch list: the Doak Walker Award for the nation’s best running back. Among the 52 players on the list are last year’s semifinalist Montee Ball (Wisconsin), as well as Knile Davis (Arkansas) and Marcus Lattimore (South Carolina).

Interesting omission? Oregon’s De’Anthony Thomas.

Last year’s winner was Trent Richardson (Alabama).

You can view all of the individual preseason watch lists in one handy repository HERE, and the entire Doak Walker Award watch list below.

Michael Alisa, BYU
Montee Ball, Wisconsin
Kenjon Barner, Oregon
Le’Veon Bell, Michigan State
Giovani Bernard, North Carolina
Rex Burkhead, Nebraska
Jesse Callier, Washington
Benny Cunningham, Middle Tennessee
Orleans Darkwa, Tulane
Knile Davis, Arkansas
Andre Ellington, Clemson
Johnathan Franklin, UCLA
Ray Graham, Pittsburgh
Gee Gee Greene, Navy
Jordan Hall, Ohio State
D.J. Harper, Boise State
John Hubert, Kansas State
Michael James, Miami
Waymon James, TCU
Nathan Jeffery, UTEP
Walter Kazee, San Diego State
Eddie Lacy, Alabama
Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina
Hunter Lee, Louisiana Tech
Zach Line, SMU
Raymond Maples, Army
Cameron Marshall, Arizona State
Onterio McCalebb, Auburn
Lyle McCombs, Connecticut
Curtis McNeal, USC
Christine Michael, Texas A&M
Latavius Murray, UCF
Branden Oliver, Buffalo
Joseph Randle, Oklahoma State
Silas Redd, Penn State
Kedrick Rhodes, FIU
Robbie Rouse, Fresno State
Jarred Salubi, Baylor
Anthon Samuel, Bowling Green
Orwin Smith, Georgia Tech
Isi Sofele, California
Shawn Southward, Troy
Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt
Eric Stephens, Texas Tech
Stepfan Taylor, Stanford
Fitzgerald Toussaint, Michigan
Matthew Tucker, TCU
James White, Iowa State
James White, Wisconsin
John White, Utah
Kerwynn Williams, Utah State
Cierre Wood, Notre Dame

Four-star DT Tyler Shelvin will redshirt at LSU after NCAA partially denies eligibility

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The state of Louisiana’s top recruit will not be playing for the state’s top football team this fall.

Four-star defensive tackle Tyler Shelvin will enroll at LSU next week, according to the Baton Rouge Advocate, but will not be eligible to play in 2017 following a ruling from the NCAA on his status. The news is a big blow not only to Shelvin, but to the Tigers who are thin on the interior defensive line and were hoping to rotate in the 380-pounder this year.

Shelvin’s high school coach told the paper that the NCAA “partially denied” the defender’s eligibility, forcing him to redshirt in his first year on campus. He reportedly took several classes over the summer in order to meet requirements but apparently fell short of hitting the association’s standard to be cleared.

The loss of Shelvin’s services is a tough one after he turned into one of the center pieces of head coach Ed Orgeron’s top 10 recruiting class from February. The Tigers have had a history of talented defensive tackles running into eligibility issues in the past but the rather thin depth chart in the middle of the defensive line made bringing in Shelvin a priority.

That is not to be the case however, as LSU will move forward sans the big defender just two weeks out from the start of the season.

 

Nebraska players were pumped to go to Kendrick Lamar concert thanks to tickets from Mike Riley

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Nebraska coach Mike Riley has the well-earned reputation of being the nicest guy in college football and his players can probably give him a wholehearted endorsement after this week.

That’s because the Cornhuskers were able to attend rapper Kendrick Lamar’s concert in Lincoln on Friday night after their coach surprised the whole team with tickets to the show. Naturally, said players were quite pumped to be going.

As cool as taking the team to a Kendrick Lamar concert is, I personally can’t wait to see what one-upmanship this inspires across college football. One can already imagine Jim Harbaugh taking the team to see Migos in London next summer…

Indiana freshman DB Bryant Fitzgerald ruled a non-qualifier after compliance error

Getty Images
Leave a comment

A key member of Indiana’s recruiting class won’t be able to play for the Hoosiers this season as a result of a serious compliance gaff at the school.

Freshman defensive back Bryant Fitzgerald was ruled by the NCAA to be a non-qualifier according to a statement released by the program and, as a result, will now be unable to play or practice for the team. A waiver was requested but both it and the appeal were denied.

At the heart of the matter seems to be the IU compliance office incorrectly advising Fitzgerald what classes to take in order to be eligible right away at the school in the eyes of the NCAA. As the above statement and a later one from athletic director Fred Glass make clear, this was a mistake on the school’s part that will cost the defensive back a full season and not about anything he did or didn’t do.

Fitzgerald was a three-star recruit coming out of high school in nearby Avon, Ind. but was expected to make a serious run at playing time given past comments by head coach Tom Allen. It certainly seems like a bummer all around for player, school and coach but the situation is what it is at this point.

Lane Kiffin lands yet another talented transfer in WVU wideout Jovon Durante

Getty Images
2 Comments

We can joke about Lane Kiffin turning FAU into the real ‘Last Chance U’ in 2017 but… it’s kind of happening for real.

In addition to adding several alums from the Netflix show, the Owls have been stocking the roster left and right with FBS transfers this offseason and added yet another just before the season starts in West Virginia wide receiver Jovan Durante.

Durante has started 17 games in his first two seasons in Morgantown, racking up 331 yards and two touchdowns as a sophomore in 2016. He was expected to assume a starting role once again this year but didn’t report to the Mountaineers preseason camp for what WVU coach Dana Holgorsen described as personal issues.

The South Florida native will have to sit out the 2017 season but will have two seasons of eligibility for the Owls after he redshirts this year.