Updated: decision on Paterno statue reportedly coming in next 72 hours

77 Comments

Updated: 5:00 p.m. ET: The statue of former coach Joe Paterno  may not necessarily come down in the next 72 hours as was originally reported, but a decision on what to do with it could.

Though Penn State trustees told Outside the Lines there was in fact a conference call Thursday night to converse about possible solutions, a final decision on the statue wasn’t made. Instead, that responsibility will reportedly lie with interim president Rodney Erickson.

Per OTL, Erickson is expected to decide whether to remove the statue in the next few days.

“It’s a highly sensitive decision,” a trustee told OTL Friday. “The decision is a symbolic one. We have to be very careful about what kind of message we send.”

————————–

Earlier this week, Penn State spokesperson Dave la Torre said a decision on whether to keep the statue of former coach Joe Paterno would be made within the next 7-10 days. 

Reportedly, at least for a moment, that timeline looked to be accurate.

Multiple reports Friday morning from former ESPN/CBS reporter Bonnie Bernstein and the NFL Network’s Kimberly Jones say that the statue will be coming down this weekend. Bernstein adds that the school’s Board of Trustees voted to take down the statue during a conference call Thursday night.

However, la Torre issued a response soon after the tweets began coming in saying “I’m not aware of any decision being made,” regarding the Paterno statue. Penn State Board member Capt. Ryan McCombie added “We did no such thing” to Laura Nichols of Statecollege.com.

The board previously said they would take their time evaluating whether or not the statue should come down in the wake of the Freeh report released last week. The scathing investigation into Penn State’s (in)actions toward former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky placed significant blame on Paterno and other high-ranking PSU officials.

Since then, there have been multiple cries from outside State College for the statue of Paterno, located outside Beaver Stadium, to be taken down. A small plane displaying the banner “Take the statue down or we will” flew over Penn State Tuesday morning.

Bo Scarbrough takes jab at UCF with ‘real championship rings’ tweet

Alabama athletics
1 Comment

For the fifth time since Nick Saban took over, Alabama football players have added some serious bling to their personal collections.

At the football team’s annual Steak & Beans dinner Monday night at the Mal Moore Athletics Facility, both the student-athletes and coaches were presented with their 2017 national championship rings.  The thrilling overtime win over Georgia in the College Football Playoff title game was the program’s fifth since Saban came to the Crimson Tide in 2007.

The rings are, to say the least, impressive, encrusted with over 150 stones per the school.  Of those 53 represents the number of wins for this most recent senior class.

Saban’s six national championships as a coach, including one at rival LSU, are tied the legendary Bear Bryant for the most in the sport’s history.  The Crimson Tide has won a total of 17 national championships, the third-most in big-time college football history behind Princeton’s 28 and Yale’s 27.

Of course, numerous Crimson Tide football players took to social media to show off and celebrate their latest title hardware.  The best use of Twitter, though, belonged to running back Bo Scarbrough, who took a not-so-thinly-veiled jab at UCF and the Knights’ unveiling “the only 2017 undefeated national championship ring this past weekend.

LOOK: Tim Drevno’s resignation letter to Michigan made public

Getty Images
Leave a comment

It appears we can finally, officially, put the Tim Drevno era at Michigan to bed.

In February, three days after Jim McElwain was officially hired as U-M’s quarterbacks coach and amidst rumors that the former Florida head coach could take over play-calling duties, Drevno announced that he would be stepping down as the Wolverines’ offensive coordinator. Drevno also served as the program’s offensive line coach.

Two months later, mlive.com obtained a copy of the coach’s resignation letter through the Freedom of Information Act. Drevno gave no specific reason for his resignation in the letter, stating only that he is “willing to help in any manner needed during the transition phase, but I fully understand if it is more appropriate to amicably sever ties in a more expedient way.”

Eight days after he left U-M, Drevno’s name was connected to a job at USC; two days later, the Trojans announced his hiring as running backs coach.  This marks his second stint in the Land of Troy as he was line coach and running-game coordinator in 2014.

Drevno, who was also on Jim Harbaugh‘s staffs at Stanford and with the San Francisco 49ers, spent the past three seasons in Ann Arbor. Under Drevno’s direction, the Wolverines’ offense was tied for 91st nationally in averaging 25.2 points per game this past season.

Korey Hernandez uses Twitter to announce transfer from Arkansas

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Another day, another college football player takes to Twitter to announce a move.

The latest to use that social media site as an announcement delivery system is Korey Hernandez, who confirmed in a tweet Monday evening that he has decided to transfer from Arkansas.  While the defensive back stated he has “made many unforgettable moments in the University of Arkansas football program,” he “decided to part ways and continue my career elsewhere… after taking time to think with my family.”

A three-star member of the Razorbacks’ 2017 recruiting class coming out of high school in Georgia, Hernandez was rated as the No. 90 safety in the country.  He took a redshirt as a true freshman last season.

According to 247Sports, Hernandez is the third UA player to announce his intention to transfer since the conclusion of spring practice about two weeks ago, joining tight end Will Gragg and defensive back Reid Miller.

Georgia football’s account remains on Twitter suspended list

Getty Images
1 Comment

Even as he now resides in South Florida, it appears Mark Richt has lost control of Georgia football’s Twitter account.

Shortly before Saturday’s second spring game under Kirby Smart, UGA’s Twitter account for the football program was suspended.  That marked the sixth time since January 17 of 2017 in which the account was suspended, and that suspension remains in effect as of this posting.

While there has been no official word from the university or athletic department on the latest suspension, it appears that it is related to, once again, a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice.  Essentially, UGA is accused of using copyrighted music in their tweets, which has led to their five previous suspensions.

Along with the most recent suspension as well as the first in January of last year, UGA’s account was suspended June 20, 2017; July 27, 2017; August 14, 2017; and February 7, 2018.  The last one came during National Signing Day, with USA Today noting at that time that “[t]he DMCA suspends accounts after three violations within a certain period.”