Kyle Prater

Prater granted waiver, will play for Northwestern in ’12

Leave a comment

Nearly six months to the day that it was announced he was transferring from USC, Kyle Prater has officially learned he will be playing football in 2012.

In a press release, Northwestern announced that the NCAA had granted a residency waiver to Prater.  That means the wide receiver won’t be forced to sit out the customary transfer season and will instead be eligible to play immediately for the Wildcats.

“Kyle has worked extremely hard since coming to Northwestern to prepare himself for this season and it’s great that he will be rewarded for that effort,” NU head coach Pat Fitzgerald said in a statement. “We’re happy to see him return to the football field and get the chance to play in front of his friends and family here in Chicago.”

Prater was a five-star member of USC’s 2010 recruiting class, the No. 1 receiver that year and the No. 3 player in the country at any position according to  Despite the hype and the athletic promise entering USC, Prater’s brief two-year tenure with the Trojans was marred by both injuries and getting buried in the rotation behind the likes of Robert Woods and Marquise Lee, partly as a result of myriad health issues.

The 6-5, 215-pound receiver was a redshirt as a true freshman in 2010, and caught just one pass for six yards this season.

Now, Prater, who participated in spring practice earlier this year, is ready for the football return to his home state.

“It’s been a long road so first and foremost I want to thank God for the chance to play football and do what I love,” Prater said. “I feel blessed for the opportunities I’ve found at Northwestern and am excited to get back on the field this fall. My family is very important to me so it means a lot for them to be nearby while I play football and earn my degree at Northwestern. I’m thankful for this decision from the NCAA and am ready to be on the field with my teammates when this season begins.”

LOOK: Duke to wear commemorative helmets to honor 1942 Rose Bowl

Duke University
Leave a comment

Duke, despite not ever being a member of the Big Ten or Pac-12, has a very unique connection to the Granddaddy of The All, and the football program is set to recognize said connection.

After the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, the United States government prohibited large gatherings of people on the West Coast.  As the school wrote in a release, “on January 1, 1942, the Rose Bowl was played for the only time outside of Pasadena, Calif., after Blue Devil head coach Wallace Wade offered Duke Stadium as the host venue. Oregon State defeated Duke in the contest, 20-16, in front of 56,000 spectators.”

To celebrate the 75th anniversary of hosting the Rose Bowl, Duke will wear commemorative helmets in its game against Virginia Tech on November 5 at Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium.

From the release:

The distinctive Battleship Grey matte helmet will be complemented with a black facemask and a decal replicating a logo used by the 88th Infantry Division of the United States Army that held the nickname “Blue Devils” during World War II. In addition, Duke’s standard black jersey will don an official Rose Bowl 75th Anniversary commemorative patch and, underneath the uniform, the Blue Devils will wear gray Nike Pro three-quarter sleeves and tights.


Restraining order could keep two Gopher players from Week 8 game

MINNEAPOLIS, MN - OCTOBER 31: The Minnesota Golden Gophers warm up before the game against the Michigan Wolverines of the game on October 31, 2015 at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

You have heard myriad reasons for college football players to miss games, but this one might be a first.

In mid-September, four Minnesota football players — cornerbacks KiAnte Hardin and Ray Buford, safety Dior Johnson and defensive end Tamarion Johnson — were suspended in the midst of an investigation into an alleged sexual assault earlier in the month.  Citing insufficient evidence in the case, the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office announced in early October that no charges would be filed and the players were reinstated.

However, Tamarion Johnson and another player who wasn’t suspended, sophomore running back Carlton Djam, had a temporary restraining order filed against them by the alleged victim. Because the woman who received the order is a student who works at TCF Bank Stadium on football game days, Johnson and Djam would not be permitted to be in the stadium for Saturday’s game against Rutgers.

The attorney for the two players, former Gopher football player Lee Hutton, told the St. Paul Pioneer-Press that he is seeking to have the order modified so that his clients can attend the homecoming game Saturday. “I’m aggressively advocating on behalf of my clients to contest the restraining order,” the attorney said.

“It would not be appropriate for the University to comment on this matter to the extent it relates to University students,” a statement from the school on the restraining order said. “The University reaffirms, however, that it will honor and comply with court orders.”

Djam has run for 33 yards on nine carries this season. A freshman, Johnson was a likely candidate for a redshirt.

Wisconsin LB Vince Biegel back from injury a lot sooner than expected

MADISON, WI - SEPTEMBER 17:  Vince Biegel #47 of the Wisconsin Badgers celebrates after making a tackle in the second quarter against the Georgia State Panthers at Camp Randall Stadium on September 17, 2016 in Madison, Wisconsin. (Photo by Dylan Buell/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

That was significantly quicker than anyone really expected.

Very late last month, Wisconsin confirmed that starting linebacker Vince Biegel would be sidelined “for several weeks” because of an injured foot that required surgery to insert a screw.  It was thought at the time that, at minimum, Biegel would miss games against Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa and Nebraska.

After missing the first two and with a bye week thrown in as well, the senior is set to return for the Badgers this weekend against the Hawkeyes on the road.

Prior to the foot injury, Biegel had started 29 games in a row for the Badgers.

‘Canes down three defensive starters for Thursday night game vs. Hokies

MIAMI GARDENS, FL - OCTOBER 17: Brenden Motley #9 of the Virginia Tech Hokies escapes a tackle from Chad Thomas #9 of the Miami Hurricanes during a game  at Sun Life Stadium on October 17, 2015 in Miami Gardens, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

When Miami takes the field Thursday night against Virginia Tech, the Hurricanes will do so with a significantly depleted defense.

On The U’s official injury report, starting defensive end Chad Thomas is listed as questionable with an upper extremity injury.  However, both Susan Miller Degnan of the Miami Herald and Matt Porter of the Palm Beach Post are reporting that Thomas did not travel to Blacksburg with the team and will not play in the prime-time game against the Hokies.

Thomas suffered the injury in last Saturday’s loss to North Carolina.

Additionally, fellow starting end Demetrius Jackson and starting cornerback Sheldrick Redwine have been ruled out as well.  Jackson is nursing an injured knee, while Redwine was not listed on The U’s injury report and the reason for his absence — he didn’t make the trip, either — is unknown.

Thomas, who has started all six games this season, currently leads the ‘Canes in tackles for loss with eight, while Jackson is tied for second with 5.5.  Jackson has started five of the six games.

Redwine has started the last five games for the Hurricanes, the first starts of his collegiate career.