Landry Jones

CFT Preseason Top 25: No. 2 Oklahoma

2011 record: 10-3 overall, 6-3 in Big 12 (3rd-tie)

2011 postseason: Insight Bowl (31-14 win over Iowa)

2011 final AP/coaches’ ranking: No. 16/No. 15

Head coach: Bob Stoops (139-34 in 14 seasons at Oklahoma)

Offensive coordinator: Josh Heupel (eighth season at OU, second as co-OC) and Jay Norvell (fifth season at OU, third as co-OC)

2011 offensive rankings: 50th rushing offense (162.9 ypg); 5th passing offense (349.4 ypg); 5th total offense (512.3 ypg); 10th scoring offense (39.5 ppg)

Returning offensive starters: eight

Defensive coordinator: Mike Stoops (first season)

2011 defensive rankings: 43rd rushing defense (134.7 ypg); 79th passing defense (241.5 ypg); 55th total defense (376.1 ypg); 31st scoring defense (22.1 ppg)

Returning defensive starters: seven

Location: Norman, Okla.

Stadium: Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium (82, 112; grass)

Last league title: 2010

Schedule: [view]

Roster: [view]

2011 statistics: [view]

The Good
While the Sooners’ defense was solid in 2011, some lamented the lack of aggressiveness and physicality from that unit.  The return of former Arizona coach Mike Stoops to Norman should help rectify that perception, as will the return of seven starters on defense among the 15 total starters from a team that won 10 games last year, the 10th time in the past 13 seasons the Sooners have reached double digits in wins.

The Bad
When it comes to the state of OU’s wide receiver position, Herbert Morrison said it best: oh, the humanity.  Already facing the challenge of replacing the greatest receiver in the school’s history, the Sooners lost three players at the position who would’ve been capable of, at least in part, replacing Ryan Broyles’ production.  With two of those receiver’s futures at the school very much in doubt — the third’s already over — and with a JUCO transfer academically ineligible as well, the Sooners are left with nothing but a lot of talent but precious little experience at the position.  Throw in the fact that three of OU’s toughest games this season — Texas, West Virginia and TCU — are all away from Norman, and it makes for a challenging 2012 row for Stoops to hoe.  The late addition of Justin Brown, who transferred in from Penn State, will add some much-needed experience and somewhat dampen the impact of the offseason tumult at the position.

The Unknown
In his first 22 games as the successor to Sam Bradford, Landry Jones was, well Bradford-esque, throwing 64 touchdowns versus just 21 interceptions.  However, over the last five games of the 2011 season — and coinciding with the “Belldozer” (ugh) package taking center stage — the quarterback threw just three touchdown passes and six picks during that stretch.  Coincidence or not, two of the Sooners’ three losses came in those last five games.  With Blake Bell returning for his true sophomore season and his package very much in play for an entire season, the question becomes: which Jones will the Sooners get in 2012?  Obviously it would be optimal if OU could have the “good” Jones and the production Bell brings to the field, but, based on that small five-game sample, it remains to be seen whether the two sides can successfully coexist.

Make-or-break game: vs. Texas at Dallas, Oct. 13
After a brief respite thanks to the Longhorns’ dip in on-field performance the past two seasons, the (warning, political incorrectness ahead!!!) Red River Shootout should be back to its rightful place of prominence in 2012.  Thanks to what’s projected to be a resurgence on the part of Texas, this should prove to be a solid litmus test for OU as to where it stands as it relates to the Big 12 and could give a hint as to how deep into the season the Sooners can hang onto BcS title hopes.

Heisman hopeful: quarterback Landry Jones
Yes, I’m fully aware of Jones being mentioned prominently in the “Unknown” portion of the program. Jones, however, is too talented to be mired in the rut that was the last five games of last season.  The uncertainty at the wide receiver position certainly won’t help his Heisman chances, but Jones should be productive enough — and the Sooners should win often enough — that the senior should find himself on the stiff-armed radar for a sizable chunk of the upcoming season.

Return to CFT’s preseason Top 25

Big 12 preview, vote

Oregon president takes thinly-veiled shot at Brady Hoke

CORVALLIS, OR - NOVEMBER 26: Defensive coordinator Brady Hoke of the Oregon Ducks dresses his players during the third quarter of the game against the Oregon State Beavers at Reser Stadium on November 26, 2016 in Corvallis, Oregon. The Beavers won 34-24. (Photo by Steve Dykes/Getty Images)

Brady Hoke had a miserable one-and-done at Oregon, and this piling on just adds to it.

Brought in to turnaround the Ducks’ defense, Hoke instead was in charge of one of the worst units in the country.  Their play, in very large part, helped bring an abrupt end to Mark Helfrich‘s three-year tenure in Eugene.

Helfrich was officially replaced by USF’s Willie Taggart earlier this week.  The boss of Taggart’s boss, UO president Michael Schill, had one piece of advice and one piece of advice alone for his new head football coach.

Can we take that as confirmation that Hoke won’t be retained by the new regime?  At least statistically, though, the president has a point, no matter how clumsily or ill-advised it may have been.

Out of the 128 teams listed on the NCAA’s official stats website, the Ducks were 126th in scoring and yards allowed; 121st in third-down percentage and rushing yards allowed; 117th in turnovers forced; and 114th in passing yards. Last season, the Ducks were 114th in scoring and 116th in yards.

And Taggart’s defense this season? The Bulls were 86th in scoring defense and 120th in yards allowed.  So, there’s that.

Malik Zaire pens thank-you note to Notre Dame students, staff

SOUTH BEND, IN - SEPTEMBER 10: Malik Zaire #9 of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish throws a pass in the second half against the Nevada Wolf Pack at Notre Dame Stadium on September 10, 2016 in South Bend, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)