Skip to content

Former four-star receiver leaves Ole Miss

Tobias Singleton AP

One of the most heralded members of Houston Nutt‘s final Ole Miss recruiting class has left the building, the school confirmed this week.

Wide receiver Tobias Singleton, first-year head coach Hugh Freeze told the media, decided Wednesday morning that he no longer wanted to be a part of the Rebels football team.  No official reason for the departure was given, although the Jackson Clarion-Ledger wrote that Singleton “never bought into the coaching staff and the program.”

Singleton was recruited by Nutt, who was fired late last year and ultimately replaced by Freeze.

There’s no word yet on a potential transfer destination, although WJTV.com reported that Singleton may take a look at SWAC schools.

A four-star member of that 2011 class, Singleton was rated as the No. 20 receiver in the country and the No. 5 player in the state of Mississippi.  While Singleton had just two catches as a true freshman last season, he did finish sixth in the SEC in kick returns with a 24.6 average.

Permalink 3 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Ole Miss Rebels, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
3 Responses to “Former four-star receiver leaves Ole Miss”
  1. cometkazie says: Aug 17, 2012 3:31 PM

    When I see a highly touted recruit leave for vague reasons, I wonder how much of it is “Jeez, now that I’m in college there are a lot of kids on the team equal or better than I and I’m having to work and no one is telling me how great I am.”

  2. stairwayto7 says: Aug 17, 2012 4:19 PM

    There leaving in droves…

  3. floridacock says: Aug 17, 2012 5:18 PM

    And there are people whom want to do away with the “sit out a year” transfer rules. What a mess that would create.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!