WAC Logo

WAC commish: it’s ‘unlikely’ conference will sponsor football in ’13

WAC football still isn’t officially “dead” — although suffice to say it’s headed in that direction — but the outlook for a 2013 season has gone from bleak to pretty much nonexistent.

Commissioner Jeff Hurd said the possibility of a 2013 season for WAC football was “unlikely.”

“I think that sometime in late July it became apparent that it was unlikely we could continue with football,” Hurd told the Denver Post. “We looked at every option we could think of. With the geography we have in terms of schools, it presents a challenge.”

It’s not an official end to WAC football; the conference could re-sponsor the sport in 2014, but that will admittedly be difficult. In order to remain a Division 1 conference at all, the WAC must maintain seven members. Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, and Nevada have already jumped to the Mountain West.

Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Texas State, Utah State and UT-San Antonio will compete in the WAC this season. Of those seven remaining members, Texas State is going to the Sun Belt, Louisiana Tech and UTSA are headed to C-USA, and San Jose State and Utah State will join the MWC.

Idaho plans to compete as a Division 1 Independent and New Mexico State’s future is undetermined.

As far as non-automatic qualifier (or mid-major) conferences go in college football, the WAC used to have some credibility. Now, it’s very much on the verge of extinction barring a membership miracle.

(Hat tip: FBSchedules) 

‘Canes down three starters for Thursday night game vs. Hokies

MIAMI GARDENS, FL - OCTOBER 17: Brenden Motley #9 of the Virginia Tech Hokies escapes a tackle from Chad Thomas #9 of the Miami Hurricanes during a game  at Sun Life Stadium on October 17, 2015 in Miami Gardens, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)