Whether Mark Emmert‘s sanctions against the Penn State football program were fair or not, NCAA involvement was ultimately going to be the least of the university’s worries when it came to the fallout of the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
Case in point, the man identified as “Victim 1” in Sandusky’s grand jury indictment is filing a lawsuit against the school for its “deliberate and shameful” handling of the allegations against the former defensive coordinator, according to the Associated Press. The suit was filed Friday.
Victim 1, per the indictment, met Sandusky through his charity, Second Mile, in 2005 or ’06 and later became a victim of Sandusky’s abuse. The suit claims Victim 1 was assaulted more than 100 times by Sandusky over a three-year period ending in 2008. As a result, the victim claims he suffered physical and emotional injuries and will likely need medical and psychological help. He is seeking both compensatory and punitive damages.
It was Victim 1’s 2009 allegations that led to the investigation that would end up in Sandusky’s arrest last November. Sandusky would ultimately be convicted on 45 counts of child-sex abuse in June, six of which were related to Victim 1. He’ll spend the rest of his life in prison.
Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and former VP Gary Schultz are also facing perjury charges. The Freeh report, released in July, indicates PSU officials knowingly refused to act multiple times on allegations against Sandusky. However, Penn State has remained mostly mum on the situation (except for the Emmert sanctions).
“The university takes these cases very seriously,” university spokesman Dave La Torre said, adding PSU’s president and board “have publicly emphasized that their goal is to find solutions that rest on the principle of justice for the victims.”
Victim 2 was reportedly set to file suit against the school last month. There will undoubtedly be others who follow.
PSU president Rodney Erickson said previously he feels the school is “adequately covered” to handle litigation thrown its way.
With things not going anywhere close according to plan this season, Stanford head coach David Shaw is in need of a change. This week that change will come at quarterback, where Keller Chryst will get a chance to start his first game with the Cardinal. Chryst will replace Ryan Burns, who has been picked off seven times this season.
”I hate to get to this point,” Shaw said. ”But it’s the best thing for this offense. We need more production at that position. It’s our challenge to support Keller.”
Chryst has attempted 18 passes this season, completing seven for 63 yards with one interception. He has also rushed 11 times for 11 yards.
Stanford’s offensive woes are not to rest squarely on the shoulders of Burns, but one of the biggest ways to spark a struggling offense is to change the quarterback. Shaw hopes this change will turn things around before things get too much worse this season. Stanford’s offensive numbers are down much more than anyone would have expected this season. The Cardinal are averaging just 17.0 points per game and 299.1 yards per game. Stanford has reached the end zone on offense just 10 times. Oklahoma and Texas Tech combined for 17 touchdowns on Saturday.
”I’ve been working with both all year and they’re both great people,” Stanford wide receiver Trent Irwin said. ”Sometimes you just need a change. We’ll see where it goes and have fun with it.”
Stanford takes on Arizona in Tucson this Saturday night.
Missouri’s defensive depth just got hit with a serious injury big. Missouri head coach Barry Odom announced today linebacker Mike Scherer and defensive lineman Terry Beckner Jr. have been lost for the rest of the season due to ACL injuries.
“It rips my heart out that he’s done everything he’s done and it ends for him with that injury,” Odom said when reflecting on the injury to Scherer. The senior also suffered a torn MCL in addition to the ACL injury. Scherer’s season comes to an end after leading the Tiger sin tackles this season.
This is the second season in a row Beckner has injured his ACL. Beckner tore his ACL and MCL last November, but the latest injury was to the opposite knee.
While Scherer will be forced to call it a career, Odom said Beckner will most likely be able to make a return to the team in 2017. It is just a matter of when he will be able to rejoin the team, as his rehab would likely linger into the winter and spring months. As noted by Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Beckner did not miss any preseason camp activities this year.
There was some positive injury news for report from Missouri. Defensive back John Gibson and safety Thomas Wilson each returned to practice on Tuesday after having a strained knee and taking a hit that required a concussion test, respectively. Wilson was not diagnosed with a concussion, allowing him to return to practice.
It was considered a bit of a long shot for Navy quarterback Tago Smith to receive an extra year of eligibility from the Naval Academy, but today it became official. Smith was denied an extra year of eligibility by the academy, meaning his college football career is over.
Smith suffered a season-ending knee injury in the first game of the season. Had this been almost any other college football program, Smith would have had little problem filing the paperwork to the NCAA to apply for an extra year of eligibility given the circumstances. Things work differently in the service academies, however, and Smith needed to get approval from Vice Admiral Walter Carter, the superintendent of the Naval Academy. After reviewing the situation, Carter’s decision was made, and it was not what Smith had probably hoped.
“The mission of the Naval Academy is to graduate officers for the Navy and the Marine Corps,” Commander David McKinney said in a statement to The Capital Gazette. “This is a four-year academic institution and midshipmen are expected to graduate in that period of time unless the superintendent determines there is a significant reason why they cannot do so.
“Vice Admiral Carter looked at this particular situation and decided that is not the case with Midshipman Smith. While we are sympathetic to Tago’s athletic career, we aren’t an institution that exists to develop professional athletes, we exist to develop leaders.”
Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo could not help but feel for Smith upon learning of the decision. After backing up Keenan Reynolds for three years, Smith’s time as starter could not even last one full game this season.
“I would have loved for Tago to have the opportunity to come back, but I have to support the superintendent’s decision,” Niumatalolo said. “I just feel really bad for the kid. Tago has worked so hard and it’s heartbreaking to see his career end this way.”
Helmet sticker to The Capital Gazette.
Former NFL head coach and current ESPN analyst Herm Edwards paid a visit to another former NFL coach on Tuesday. Edwards was in Champaign to visit Lovie Smith and his Illinois football program. While there, Edwards was scheduled to give the Illini a good old-fashioned pep talk. He’s good at that.
This is a reminder that the NFL coaching fraternity remains a strong bond over the years. Smith and Edwards were never a part of the same coaching staff in the NFL, but the two have remained friends over the years. Smith having these types of connections should be exploited at every opportunity to help promote the Illini program and boost it when needed. Edwards has been a vocal supporter of Smith, so it makes sense Smith would have his pal stop by and do what he does best. And he’s done it a number of times…
At Alabama in 2013…
Or the previous year before the Las Vegas Bowl…
Or this past summer with NC State…
Illinois is 2-5 this season and now flirting with the likelihood of not going to a postseason bowl game in Smith’s first season on the job. We’ll see if Edwards is able to give the program the extra juice it needs.
Here’s hoping we get some video footage of Edwards speaking to the Illini.