Updated Notre Dame RB Cierre Wood suspended two games

Cierre Wood AP

Already without quarterback Tommy Rees and linebacker Carlo Calabrese for Saturday’s season opener against Navy in Dublin, Ireland, because of suspension, Notre Dame will be without one of its best offensive weapons too.

Keith Arnold over at Inside the Irish reports that running back Cierre Wood has been suspended for Saturday’s game, and perhaps longer. Notre Dame’s independent student newspaper, The Observer, has also confirmed and contributed to the story. Brian Kelly later confirmed that Wood, along with defensive end Justin Utupo, would be suspended two games for a violation of team rules.

“Our players are aware of the standards I set for our program and that failure to meet my expectations will result in consequences,” Kelly said. “Justin and Cierre violated our team rules so I’ve suspended them for the first two games of the season.”

Apparently, though, it wasn’t a sudden move:

While the news stayed air-tight throughout the preseason, the suspension isn’t news to Wood or the running back depth chart. While the senior from Oxnard, California has taken reps with the first team — as recently as yesterday — the position grouping has done its best to adapt to the situation, working in reserves Riddick, Atkinson, and cross-training running back-turned-cornerback-turned running back-again Cam McDaniel in case of an emergency. (Slot receiver Davonte Neal and transfer Amir Carlisle are also capable options.)

It’s a big loss, bigger than Rees to be honest. Everett Golson was named the starting quarterback for Saturday’s game last week and there’s a good chance he will remain the starting QB if he plays well.

Wood, on the other hand, was a 1,000-yard rusher last season and averaged over five yards per carry. Reportedly replacing him for a game (or longer) won’t be impossible — or maybe that difficult — but there’s no denying the playmaking ability Wood brings to the football field.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Independents, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Rumor Mill, Top Posts
28 Responses to “Updated Notre Dame RB Cierre Wood suspended two games”
  1. indi0228 says: Aug 26, 2012 2:15 PM

Notre Dame is a cesspool

2. ohioirishfan says: Aug 26, 2012 2:33 PM

You cannot smoke weed when you know they test for it, knucklehead!!!

3. bw1980 says: Aug 26, 2012 2:35 PM

Notre Dame is a cesspool? As compared to which schools?

4. tigers182 says: Aug 26, 2012 2:50 PM

What are the odds they were suspended for cupcake games, and will return just in time for ranked opponents? Way to send a message Rosie O’Kelly.

5. kiopta1 says: Aug 26, 2012 3:08 PM

Cupcake teams hmm…clown.

6. breakgio says: Aug 26, 2012 3:29 PM

So Navy and Purdue aren’t cupcakes? I guess against ND, they aren’t, but to the rest of the league, they are.

7. dbldmr says: Aug 26, 2012 3:46 PM

Breakgio, what league would that be? Is it the same one where each of the teams plays Michigan, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Miami, Stanford, and Southern Cal this year? If so it sounds like a pretty stout one.

8. kiopta1 says: Aug 26, 2012 3:47 PM

Yeah I guess your right since OSU has to play Miami Ohio, Florida plays BG, LSU plays north Texas, USC plays some tuff stuff too.

9. breakgio says: Aug 26, 2012 3:50 PM

dbldmr: What are you talking about? We’re talking about how ND suspends the players for the weak part of their schedule, not if ND has a strong strength of schedule.

You might want to sober up before posting.

10. fnc111 says: Aug 26, 2012 4:15 PM

Personally would fire Kelly now and bring in Pat Fitzgerald to clean this mess up. 6-6 is fine with me when you have first class student athletes and a 99% grad rate. I remember the days if Quinn, Stovall. Darius Walker, etc. great people and great players. Wake up Jack!

11. fnc111 says: Aug 26, 2012 4:18 PM

So let them play against navy and purdue then suspend them for weeks 3 and 4? You must be an Ohio state fan with that logic. ND plays a tough schedule no matter what week. If this was usf or USC he would be gone as well.

12. dbldmr says: Aug 26, 2012 4:31 PM

Breakgio, you think punishing someone later is more effective? For whom? I’m heading back to the vodka. Let me know how things are in “the league.”

13. trick321 says: Aug 26, 2012 5:01 PM

you guys are right, they should wait until week 4 and suspend him for the Michigan game.. and then skip a few games and suspend him for the Oklahoma game… that’s a completely sensible way to do it… morons!

14. indi0228 says: Aug 26, 2012 5:15 PM

Compared to the entire Pac 12 except for Oregon.

15. hines86for6 says: Aug 26, 2012 10:34 PM

why isn’t this article in Irishtalk.com?

If I were a Big East fan (thank god), I’d be livid at Notre Dame articles popping up on this site.

it’s enough that ND, takes up a bowl spot.

16. irishirish777 says: Aug 26, 2012 10:46 PM

Come on ND, what’s up? You guys need to get your act together. Every time it looks like things are coming together, you do something stupid like this. Clausen in trouble, Floyd, Rees, Wood, etc, etc, etc. When will you ever learn, settle down and get serious? You are not going to be successful on the field by accident…even the luck of the Irish won’t help you there. Get with it …and fast!!!

17. bw1980 says: Aug 26, 2012 11:55 PM

breakgio says:Aug 26, 2012 3:29 PM

He’s suspended for the first the first games they play in which he can be suspended. That is standard procedure, is it not?

What would Alabama, LSU, Florida, Texas, USC or any other school do? Let the person play in the “cupcake” games against South Eastern University of Arkansas of the University of Arkansas Little Rock and then suspend for the LSU vs. Alabama game or the Texas vs. Oklahoma game? Get real.

Besides, if there’s one position where Notre Dame can afford to lose a player it’s at running back–where the Irish are loaded.

18. bw1980 says: Aug 26, 2012 11:57 PM

hines86for6 says:Aug 26, 2012 10:34 PM

it’s enough that

This is on NBC.com….you know, the station which has an agreement with Notre Dame. Jesus you people are pathetic in your over-the-top hatred. Get a clue.

19. tttrojan4life says: Aug 27, 2012 12:55 AM

Is there any discipline on this team? Oh I forgot whose coaching this team.

Druggies, rapists, drunks…. a typical Kelly team.

20. bw1980 says: Aug 27, 2012 1:08 AM

tttrojan4life says:Aug 27, 2012 12:55 AM
    “Is there any discipline on this team? Oh I forgot whose coaching this team.
    Druggies, rapists, drunks…. a typical Kelly team.”

I don’t remember Brian Kelly coaching U$C.

21. irishirish777 says: Aug 27, 2012 9:27 AM

I just think if ND is EVER going to get back into elite status they are going to have to stop all the nonsense! I have heard people say “well, their just young kids, let them have their fun” or “that’s what college life is like”
    I don’t agree. Sure that type of attitude is there but if you want that then you can’t be on the team. There needs to be some discipline, some growing up, some seriousness about this IF you want to be a top 10 team. This kind of behavior seems to be more and more prevalent these days. If you want to do something stupid like this, don’t play, or do it in off season, NOT one week before the open of the football season! What are you thinking? Irish fans are sick and tired of hoping and waiting, hoping and waiting and saying things like “well, there’s always next year…”. I’m tired of losing and wish you’d get tired if it too. Get your head on straight and make a difference out there this year!

22. ohioirishfan says: Aug 27, 2012 9:28 AM

@retarded Trojan fan, really??? Coming from a fan of a university that just got off of probation for Reggie Bush’s parents being given a house. Don’t throw stones our way moron. At least our coach did something! Your coach is a pathetic turd and every word out of his mouth is a lie.

23. kozbee says: Aug 27, 2012 9:33 AM

Quarterback,RB,linebacker,defensive end.
    CALL DR. LOU.

24. tttrojan4life says: Aug 27, 2012 11:12 AM

Actually I want ND to do well. College football is better for it. ND is a traditional power who does not play D2 cupcakes. ND has always been well respected by real SC fans.

Unfortunately Kelly is not the right hire. He can win at a place where he can play thugs and no one cares. He will not win at ND.

25. dkhhuey says: Aug 27, 2012 12:37 PM

College football is not better or worse while ND is irrelevant. The only difference is in the arrogance level and talking points of their fans.

When they’re winning and relevant (GOD it’s been a long time):
    Fan arrogance level: Extremely high
    Fan talking points: Current football events

When they’re losing and irrelevant:
    Fan arrogance level: Extremely high
    Fan talking points: football events that occurred 30 years of more in the past, graduation rates, GPAs, and lack of arrest records or poor student behavior (scratch that now)

26. tttrojan4life says: Aug 27, 2012 2:04 PM

I just enjoy SC beating them down. But it is always better when they actually have a competitive team. I’m sure Michigan, Stanford, MSU, etc would all agree.

ND should have gone after Hoke, before the Michigan job even opened up.

27. dkhhuey says: Aug 27, 2012 3:58 PM

I know I enjoyed the peace and quite exiting the Fiesta Bowl game after OSU beat them down! Complete elation!

28. irishirish777 says: Aug 27, 2012 7:25 PM

I think BK is still the man. However, if the players don’t get their act in order…he will be headed for the exit door within a few years. I believe ND will win 10 games this year so that will keep BK in South Bend. Even if he doesn’t win a bowl game, 9-10 wins will keep his job. I hope he has a bigger vision than just keeping his job…ND fans want a championship!