Purdue’s second-leading tackler in trouble — again

3 Comments

Dismissed by Purdue following a drunk-driving arrest early last December, Dwayne Beckford was reinstated by head coach Danny Hope in late May.

Three months later, another off-field issue has placed the linebacker’s future at the school in doubt once again.

In a release, the school announced that Beckford has been indefinitely suspended from the football program.  And the reason wasn’t the obligatory “violation of unspecified team rules” either; rather, the school stated in the press release that the suspension resulted from “his arrest earlier Monday.”

Hope’s statement indicated that Beckford violated probation stemming from the legal issue late last year, although the details of what led to the latest arrest are not yet available.

“It’s unfortunate that Dwayne allegedly violated some of the terms of his probationary status,” Hope said. “Once we examine all the details that led to today’s development, we will make a decision on his long-term status with the team.”

At his late-July sentencing on the OVI charge, Beckford was given what was described as 30 days of community corrections; 335 days of supervised probation; and, during those 365 days, will be forced to blow into a tube in order to start his vehicle.  The West Lafayette Journal and Courier writes that “[w]hile on probation, he cannot consume alcohol or drugs and cannot go into any bars, taverns or liquor stores.”

Beckford is also facing possession charges, with one of those charges considered a felony.  According to the Journal and Courier, Monday’s arrest was the fourth time Beckford has been arrested since June of 2011.

In 2011, and despite missing the Boilermakers’ bowl game, Beckford finished the season as Purdue’s second-leading tackler.

CB Ryan Mayes no longer part of Miami football team

Getty Images
1 Comment

There’s been a slight tweak to Miami’s defensive secondary ahead of the start of summer camp.

In a press release that consisted all of two sentences, the Hurricanes announced that Ryan Mayes is no longer a member of Mark Richt’s football program.  No reason was given for the separation, nor is it known whether the move was voluntary or involuntary.

A three-star member of The U’s 2014 recruiting class, Mayes was rated as the No. 48 cornerback in the country and the No. 92 player at any position in the state of Florida.  He held offers from, among others, Boston College and Syracuse.

As a true freshman, Mayes played in three games, then saw action in just one game the following season as he took a redshirt.  In 2016, the defensive back played in 11 games, mainly on special teams.

Prior to his departure, the redshirt junior was expected to fill a reserve role in the Hurricanes’ secondary.

Kyle Whittingham confirms Darren Carrington is at Utah, not yet a Ute

Getty Images
1 Comment

Former Oregon wide receiver Darren Carrington‘s father confirmed his son of the same name was headed to Utah on Wednesday, and the head coach of the team in question has now double confirmed it.

But just because Carrington is at the University of Utah does not make him a Ute. Not yet.

Speaking at Pac-12 media days, Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham said Carrington is in school but has hurdles to clear to join the team.

“Not just yet. There’s a process that has to occur, some things that have to transpire and we’ve just got to wait for all that to kind of take place,” Whittingham said, via Deseret News.

It’s not sure what “things” have to transpire and when that is expected to happen; Whittingham couldn’t be sure Carrington would be with the team when camp opens Friday.

“Right now I don’t have a good answer because everything’s being sorted through right now,” Whittingham said.

Carrington will be immediately eligible to play as a graduate transfer. He caught 43 passes for a team-leading 606 yards and six touchdowns last season. Utah’s leading returning receiver, junior Raelon Singleton, nabbed 27 passes for 464 yards and four scores a year ago.

Clay Helton: O.J. not welcome back at USC

Getty Images
5 Comments

OJ Simpson is one of the greatest Trojans of all-time. A unanimous two-time All-American, Simpson won the 1968 Heisman Trophy and was a member of USC’s 1967 national championship team.

OJ Simpson will also soon be a free man.

Granted parole from his felony armed robbery conviction last week, Simpson will be free on Oct. 1. The question, then, if you’re a reporter at Pac-12 media days is whether or not USC will welcome back one of its most accomplished — if not favorite — sons.

The answer? Uh, no.

To be clear, Simpson has not indicated he wanted to be part of USC football again. The 70-year-old indicated to the parole board he would return to Florida if granted his freedom.

USC has distanced itself from Simpson ever since his 1994 double-murder trial, but his Heisman Trophy remains on display at Heritage Hall.

4-star QB explains why he picked Princeton over Power 5 offers

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NCAA likes to remind us that it represents thousands of athletes and most of them will go pro in something other than sports. Most of those athletes consciously know that, yet their college decisions are usually based on what school will help them go pro in sports.

Not Brevin White.

The Lancaster, Ca., quarterback is a 4-star prospect in 247Sports‘s 2018 rankings, with reported offers from Tennessee, Washington, Auburn, North Carolina and others. He’s going to Princeton. White committed to the Tigers on Wednesday, making him Princeton’s highest-rated recruit since Woodrow Wilson.

On Thursday, White appeared on The Dan Patrick Show to talk through why he turned down the SEC for the Ivy League.