Jimbo Fisher surprised by Notre Dame’s move to the ACC

Although rumors of Notre Dame becoming a partial member of the ACC have been making their way through the Rumor Mill for the past several weeks (months?), Wednesday’s announcement by the ACC was no less surprising to most.

Including at least one ACC coach: Florida State’s Jimbo Fisher. Fisher was reportedly made aware of the announcement moments before hopping on his weekly ACC teleconference. Needless to say (but we’ll do it anyway), he didn’t quite know what to say:

“I had no idea. Just three seconds before I picked this phone up I received that information. I have talked to no one, know anything. Just got a message, and I don’t mean I haven’t thought – they’re a great university, and I guess we’ll be glad to have them, but I had no recollection of any of that happening.

“Again, I don’t want to say anything bad about Notre Dame or bad about the – I don’t know – I’m not even – I have no idea – I didn’t know they were only playing five games. Literally I had no recollection of any – I don’t know the details of any one thing that’s going on in this whole situation. I mean I, literally, somebody said as I walked in to do my press conference, they come in and said we just got a text or a message.”

[/explodes]

While the Irish will not be joining the ACC for football, they will be playing five games each season against ACC opponents. Notre Dame will also have access to ACC bowl tie-ins as long is it either 1) finishes within one win of another bowl eligible conference team, or 2) is ranked higher in the BCS standings. However, it will only keep 1/15th of the pooled revenue for non-BCS bowls. If the Irish go to the Orange Bowl, it would keep all of its share of the revenue.

Speaking of money, Notre Dame will keep its TV revenue from NBC and receive one-fifteenth of 20 percent of the ACC’s exclusive TV deal with ESPN (for men’s basketball). In other words, Notre Dame won’t receive any football money from the ACC’s deal even if it is renegotiated to accommodate the additional inventory (which it will).

Not bad for an “irrelevant” program.

(Quotes courtesy of coachingsearch.com) 

Infant son of D’Onta Foreman passed away during Texas’ 2016 season

As a father five times over, I simply can’t imagine doing what D'Onta Foreman did last season.

On the field, the Texas running back was an absolute beast.  He led the nation in rushing yards per game at 184.4 — next closest was San Diego State’s Donnell Pumphrey at 152.4 — while his 2,028 total rushing yards were second to Pumphrey (2,133).  On Nov. 5 against Texas Tech, Foreman ran for 341 yards, the third-highest total in Longhorns history.

In a profile that appeared on the NFL Network, Foreman revealed that, unbeknownst to those outside of the football program, his girlfriend gave birth to a baby boy on Sept. 16.  His son was born premature and weighed just 15 ounces at birth; 50 days later, the infant passed away — not long after Foreman’s historic performance against Tech.

In fact, Foreman learned of his son’s death as he was driving back to the hospital in Texas City after the game to be with him.

From HookEm.com‘s transcription of his interview with the NFL Network:

I always dreamed of having a boy and naming him after me and you know, just seeing him grow. You know, just loving him.

“He was a fighter, you know. He would like fight and he’s going to make it and everything will be fine.”

“I really didn’t know how to feel. I was like numb. I was driving and then I was crying while I was driving. I was crushed and I was so hurt. I feel like something was taken away from me before I even really got the chance to experience it.

While nothing can ever replace Foreman’s loss, there is a silver lining in his story as the back’s girlfriend is again pregnant.  The due date?  The same day D’Onta Vanton Foreman Jr. was born.

Foreman Sr. is one of the players who are part of the pool for the NFL draft, which will take place this Thursday in Philadelphia.

Via Twitter, safety Jordan Fogal says he’s leaving Utah