Updated: Penn State rolls over Illinois

Steven Bench, LaRoy Reynolds AP

Bill O’Brien to Illinois coach Tim Beckman: just try to recruit our players again. I dare you.

The Nittany Lions routed Illinois 35-7, very likely making O’Brien a happy man (internally) in the process. O’Brien probably won’t admit that Beckman’s open recruiting policy of PSU players in the wake of NCAA sanctions added some fuel to his fire, but rest assured it’s there.

Ironically, one of the lowlights of PSU’s defense today came on a play that should have been one of the highlights.

Just as Illinois was getting ready to score at the end of the first half, PSU linebacker Michael Mauti intercepted a Nathan Sheelhaase pass and ran 95 yards the other direction. Why 95 yards? Because he jogged the last four and was caught from behind.

Penn State had the field goal blocked to end the half. Gotta finish that run, big man!

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Big Ten Conference, Illinois Fighting Illini, Penn State Nittany Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Posts
26 Responses to “Updated: Penn State rolls over Illinois”
  1. stairwayto7 says: Sep 29, 2012 3:12 PM

It’s 35-7 in the 4th quarter hater! WRITE THAT!

2. Ben Kercheval says: Sep 29, 2012 3:23 PM

“It’s 35-7 in the 4th quarter hater! WRITE THAT!”

Crying’s not a good look for ya, Stairway.

3. southernpatriots says: Sep 29, 2012 3:28 PM

stairwaytoidiocy–

you are the hater. Ben is not the hater here. Nor are CFT posters. YOU are.

Get some mental and emotional help and stop posting your inanity.

Congratulations to Penn State players in playing a really good game, but if Mauti had hoofed it just a tiny amount more he would have had the final foot or so, he would have had a score, which is a great prize for a linebacker, but about a 99 yard run back for a linebacker is a great accomplishment also. Just wish he would have gotten the TD for all his effort. That kind of return on an interception for so many yards is not common, not common at all, for a linebacker.

4. tommy57 says: Sep 29, 2012 3:39 PM

Yes, but surely you can understand the sensitivity of PSU supporters. In addition to personally trying to overcome the hideous Sandusky situation (along with the university itself and the victims) we have been faced with less than accurate (and indeed hateful) posts on this site, not to mention ‘headline news’ about the possible move of the Paterno statue, which always generages a large number of responses, mostly negative.

I accept Stairway might have waited a bit to consider Ben’s article and, given our situation, probably been thankful he didn’t write about not attempting field goals from the 13 year line.

Unfortunately Stairway, this is our lot for the next several years. Jouranlists will use PSU situations to generate headlines and some (very few) will use this site to vent. Still, it’s nothing compared to what the kids have endured and probably continue to endure. We’ll need to develop a very thick skin.

5. liveinthis says: Sep 29, 2012 4:31 PM

Pedi State wins another game that should have never been played.

Unfortunately the NCAA doesnt have the guts to properly sanction their cash cow by giving them the Death Penalty as what was deserved.

6. dannythebisforbeast says: Sep 29, 2012 5:43 PM

Would that be Karma for the coach NOT coming on campus. What a D*<k!!

7. 32maniac says: Sep 29, 2012 5:57 PM

Ben’s a hater… A couple of years and state in back in the game. Phuck off assholes.

8. mmack66 says: Sep 29, 2012 6:00 PM

I would have thought that video would be of the play that is talked about immediately prior to the video box.

9. Ben Kercheval says: Sep 29, 2012 6:05 PM

“Ben’s a hater”

Yep, like when I said Penn State didn’t deserve the penalties it received from the NCAA. Or, when I said a few weeks ago that Penn State could easily get on a roll if the offense picked up (which it has). This selective memory stuff is crazy.

10. 32maniac says: Sep 29, 2012 6:09 PM

Ben, when you post sh*t like that, you’re gonna get hate mail. Grow up pussy…

11. mungman69 says: Sep 29, 2012 6:19 PM

Ben, what did you say that has caused several to go viral? You better not say anything because it is quite obvious that they aren’t listening.

12. 32maniac says: Sep 29, 2012 6:19 PM

Ben, here’s a little advice from a 60+ college football fan…

If you’re gonna write sh*t… be careful how you out yourself out there on the web and social media. Looked you up…

You’re still wet behind the ears.

Ok to make mistakes. But not ok to be stupid.

13. Ben Kercheval says: Sep 29, 2012 6:24 PM

Thanks for looking me up! You can follow me on twitter @CFTBenKercheval.

14. 32maniac says: Sep 29, 2012 6:28 PM

Become a sportswriter Ben… not a student newspaper reporter…

15. frank booth says: Sep 29, 2012 9:26 PM

32maniac says:Sep 29, 2012 6:19 PM

You’re still wet behind the ears.

==================================
    I think you’ve cornered the market on stupid. I clicked in the box to “notify me of follow up comments via email” on the off chance you make an intelligent post.

Calling someone a “pussy” over the internet is a terrific way to show someone how tough you are. You’re 60+ and you’re clearly the one who has some growing up to do.

You don’t run a motel and have you’re mom embalmed upstairs, do you?

16. iownyou2 says: Sep 29, 2012 10:45 PM

Jogged the last 4 yards?? Don’t be an idiot, you can blatantly see he is tripped up at the 10 yd line and is stumbling the last few yards. To question this kids effort is just idiotic. He almost single handedly kept this program together and I hope you enjoy watching him on Sundays for years to come. If it really bothers you that much that these kids who you all said would never make this program a winner within 10 years are winning games then just don’t post these articles. Your repeated attempts to bash and fail this program are not working.

17. psunick says: Sep 29, 2012 11:32 PM

@liveinthis

How sad for you, friend. You are just going to have to live in this for the rest of the season:

Penn State will be on TV every week.

We’ll win 5-6 more games, at least

Your stomach will knot up with each of our first downs

Is it really worth all of the anxiety?

Don’t be so upset. Come on and join us! We can use good fans over these next few years.

18. raylewis96 says: Sep 30, 2012 1:57 AM

That’s a picture of the Virginia game not the Illinois game as you can see by the uprights and mike Mauti didn’t have a forced fumble this game

19. mungman69 says: Sep 30, 2012 4:56 AM

Good luck to the coach and players. No one is rooting against either but the school itself still doesn’t get it. That’s what this should be about.

20. frank booth says: Sep 30, 2012 5:04 AM

psunick says:Sep 29, 2012 11:32 PM

@liveinthis

Penn State will be on TV every week.

We’ll win 5-6 more games, at least

Is it really worth all of the anxiety?

==================================
    Yeah, after losing to Ohio and Virginia, PSU went through a veritable Murderer’s Row of Navy, Temple, and Illinois. PSU has only played one team with a winning record, and I doubt that these wins are an indicator that Penn State can put up wins against Northwestern, Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin, or even Purdue for that matter.

The anxiety and angst are all yours. Penn State is inconsequential this year, and it’s only going to get worse when these present players leave.

How much is that statue in the warehouse?

21. tobeexact says: Sep 30, 2012 12:28 PM

Lets review the comments ,first I do remember ben saying penn state didnt deserve the sanctions they got and im a dye hard penn state fan.
    Second and according to how the bias polls especially the AP poll , teams are ranked by a multitude of different things .one is out of conference schedules which by the way go by wh what those teams did the previous season or how they ended there season. So based on that alone , there four out o conference games were against teams that all had winning records and went to a bowl game with only one losing ,virginia,so penn state cant help the fact they those teams cant win this year. Add in the fact that even the virginia coaching staff admits they really shouldnt have won the game ,alla penn states lousy field goal kicker.
    But at least they can say they didnt have any division two souls on there schedule like all the so called great teams did, most of them with two.
    Then there is the illini game in which without some really stupid mistakes should have been more like 60 to nothing and thats against a team that returned almost there entire defense from last year.
    I also agree with the fact after mautis interception return they should have gone for the td since they pretty much could run at will .
    Now for the idiot ,moron , plain old stupid un educated guy who posts psu as pedophile state you obviously are dilusional and have some serious mental issues.
    Ill be willing to bet anyone on here that psu beats not only north.western but yes ohio st and wisconsin.
    Then there is the ncaa commissioner who must not think that any school south or west of the mason dixie line deserves to be heavily sanctioned. If I were ohio st, the trojans and the exception to the rule miami i would be all in mr emmerts shit for basically telling south carolina that its ok to pay players n there families , take them on trips do illegal recruiting which by the way are actual ncaa violations and serious ones at that. No bowl bans ,no fines no vacating of wins,no return of bowl trophies , they get 3 year probation and the loss of a few scholarships a year ,n get this , because they tried to find out what went wrong and make corrections so it couldnt happen again.
    What a joke, then you have the same commissioner a week ago at a conference for buisness men in detroit actually stating he n the ncaa had no buisness sanctioning penn state, said he felt bad for them n that he wasnt sure about there 1&2 start because he really doesnt know that much about football, are you kidding me , what a joke.

22. dkhhuey says: Oct 1, 2012 1:18 PM

Ah all the butt hurt coming out of PSU puts a huge smile on my face. There was not one group of fans that loaded up and heaped more sh!t on the Buckeyes when they were going through Tatgate more than PSU fans. Their holier than thou attittude was only slightly outdone by their arrogance of the vast superiority of their spotless program. So now here they are all defensive because people are piling on their program after the story broke of the biggest scandal to rock college football. Get use to it! Your filthy program is going to the brunt of jokes for some time to come! I can’t wait until the Buckeyes roll into NAMBLA U and destroy PSU! Going to be a very sweet payback!

23. alligatorsnapper says: Oct 1, 2012 1:50 PM

dkhhuey:

Okay, you are right. Many PS fans earned it. Payback is a …………… There is one CFT poster, stairwaytoperversion that posts against all other schools and teams but is an apologist for PS. He is so bad, he even posts negative thumbs on threads about players being paralyzed and others similar.

Then we have the arrogance of USC fans who thought their football was the best in the land, best offense, best team, best everything, and then were silent when Stanford once again beat their a$$.

24. dkhhuey says: Oct 1, 2012 11:56 PM

@snapper – I use to have great respect for PSU until Tatgate – then it was all fair in love and war. I have a few friends that are PSU grads and they were cool as hell, but the vast majority on various boards were just way over the line! It only got worse with this whole disgusting Sandusky scandal! As you said, payback is a complete beeeatch!

I’m in Pac 10/12 country and I must say, I find the Oregon fans a bit more obnoxious than the USC fans I’ve met! Again, I may just be hanging around in the wrong crowd but that is just what I’ve experience during my 15 years out here in Arizona!

25. alligatorsnapper says: Oct 2, 2012 5:43 AM

dkhhuey:

Thank you for giving me the low down. When you are right, you are right. Penn State fans made such a big deal of tats that it made me think they were obsessed. I was working with southernpatriots family at the time helping with the Appalachian Outreach they have been doing for decades. The doc and nurse in the family were talking about football and the conversation came around to B1G football and the doc said about the venom of attacks by Penn State fans, “they are sowing the wind, and they will reap the whirlwind!” Has that come to pass in spades!

Obnoxious fans here on CFT probably are with all teams at one time or another, but consistently its Notre Dame Irish fans where I live in western Louisiana, Texas fans, and USC fans. We don’t have any Alabama fans near here that I know of, but when I travel to the state of Alabama, they tend to set off the seismograph. Apparently, the Oregon fans that travel all the way to Jerry’s World are older and really good folks, since I met dozens that were some of the best fans I had met. Washington fans were likewise. Maybe if southernpatriots keep annoying the AD at LSU with their requests to get tOSU scheduled you could find yourself down here and enjoy some great Cajun food and hospitality?

26. dkhhuey says: Oct 2, 2012 10:24 AM

@snapper – You’re correct – ND fans are at the top of the list! I was at both regular season games when ND and OSU played, as well as the Fiesta Bowl game out here in Arizona – man, they were hands down the worst.

I’d love to venture down to Louisiana and gobble up some wonderful Cajun food! It has been eons since I’ve been down that way!