Charlie Weis unhappy with student newspaper

Charlie Weis AP

Knowing that Kansas’ 1-3 record through four games this year matches the win total from 2011 is going to get more than a few jokes lobbed KU’s way. That’s to be expected. Where the criticism wasn’t expected, at least in the eyes of first-year coach Charlie Weis, was from the school’s newspaper, The University Daily Kansan.

With a game against No. 7 Kansas State looming this weekend, here was the cover of the publication.

And here’s what Weis posted on his Twitter account today, presumably about said cover.

Before I join the rest of the sports media world in tossing a collective “Really?” at Weis’ direction, I will say this about coaches in general:

They are control freaks through and through. Because every possible thing you could imagine about a university is a selling point to recruits, coaches want all of those things to reflect positively on the program.

That being said, it’s not the paper’s job to be a cheerleader, and the Daily Kansan isn’t some regular ol’ student publication, but it is Weis’ job to win games. Kansas is not a football school, and when the program is this bad for this long, cynicism is going to be part of the culture. If Weis doesn’t like that, maybe he can take one of the other jobs he was offered this offseason.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Big 12 Conference, Kansas Jayhawks, Kansas State Wildcats, Rumor Mill, Top Posts
23 Responses to “Charlie Weis unhappy with student newspaper”
  1. irishking says: Oct 4, 2012 8:44 PM

Poor Charlie.

2. raider2124 says: Oct 4, 2012 9:02 PM

The great offensive mind doesn’t look that great when he can’t cheat.

3. imforbigblue says: Oct 4, 2012 10:02 PM

I feel there pain I’m a huge UK fan basketball is great but not such in football but atleast They don’t have to play in the SEC

4. allan357 says: Oct 4, 2012 10:21 PM

If he wants more favorable media coverage, he should start using his ‘decided schematic advantage’ to stop blowing double-digit, second-half leads to the likes of Rice & Northern Illinois.

5. lbijake says: Oct 4, 2012 11:28 PM

Pound for pound, one of the better coaches.

6. queenlivekillers says: Oct 4, 2012 11:42 PM

No matter, he’ll jilt Kansas like he did the Chiefs and the Gators. Seriously, what is holding him to Kansas? His family lives in Florida, he is getting paid by Notre Dame and he recently recommitted to the Hannah’s House charity in South Bend.

7. timb12 says: Oct 5, 2012 7:17 AM

Doesn’t he mean he “couldn’t care less”? The Ol Weisenheimer is sending me mixed signals.

8. floridacock says: Oct 5, 2012 7:40 AM

Not a fan, but can’t blame him for defending his home turf from the media vultures whom are just looking for juicy negative stories.

9. chalkruz1989 says: Oct 5, 2012 7:52 AM

Came across a similar issue in college working for the schools newspaper. As the head sports editor, the big story for the following week was our school, from the NEC, squaring off with Villanova of the Big East. I ran a similar story with a wildcat having a hawk in his mouth and a lot of players were trashing us on twitter and facebook. Needless to say they got beat by 45…The newspaper is not a marketing scheme for the school, it’s just like every other newspaper, report the facts.

10. FeedtheOldtotheYoung says: Oct 5, 2012 9:12 AM

Charlie Weis is an overrated and overpaid fat pig who has no business near a football field, let alone coaching a team.

Anyone who (doesn’t) have the personal discipline to be 150 lbs. overweight wouldn’t be coaching my kids in any competitive athletic venture, that’s for sure.

11. dkhhuey says: Oct 5, 2012 10:15 AM

Jabba the Weis – eat a doughnut topped meat lovers pizza and STFU! Here is a cure for that type of press – winning!

12. polegojim says: Oct 5, 2012 10:50 AM

@chaulk… and there are LOTS of ways to report ‘the facts’ without being insulting and degrading to your OWN home boys and girls.

Too many reporters hink that ‘truth’ must malign and inflame. Nothing further from ‘the truth’.

Good writers can be sensational and interesting without being a turd. When you take the low road, you just look like a ‘jilted and bitter jock’ who couldn’t make the team.

13. 35longmiles says: Oct 5, 2012 12:38 PM

I can’t disagree with feedtheoldtotheyoung. Doesn’t his FUPAR disgust him? Seriously lard ass, you have ALL the resources to take control of this. Or just keep using a cane and a bench on the sideline.

Polegojim = flaming idiot. Go save some goldfish at the carnival you whining pansy.

14. jmb795 says: Oct 5, 2012 1:56 PM

Tom Brady’s talent became Charlie’s “genius.”
    That genius has turned into a brilliant marketing ploy for Charlie.
    Score: Charlie-4
    KC, ND, UF, KS-0

15. rcali says: Oct 5, 2012 3:06 PM

Do something on the field to correct it.

16. florida727 says: Oct 5, 2012 3:24 PM

I’m not a fan or a hater of Charlie’s. I’m pretty indifferent toward him. I see his point, but at the same time, winning cures a lot of ills.

“imforbigblue”, not sure why you got all the thumbs-downs. Kentucky football is pathetic, but who can argue with your hoops success? We look at our (Gators) football game against you guys as a bye week. But when we have to play you on hardwood… different story. Have to give credit where it’s due. You guys definitely kick butt in hoops. Congrats on landing the twins verbal commitment for next year. Calipari is something else when it comes to recruiting.

17. WingT says: Oct 5, 2012 4:15 PM

@Ben Kercheval
    What a great pic of ole Charlie – nicely done

18. Ben Kercheval says: Oct 5, 2012 5:04 PM

We have a few favorite pics, WingT, as I’m sure you know. The “Screaming Saban” and the “Crying Charlie” are my personal favorites.

19. WingT says: Oct 5, 2012 5:12 PM

Screaming Saban is a classic. It’s one of my all time favorites :)

20. WingT says: Oct 5, 2012 5:16 PM

Ben,
    You need to put together a pic poll….there are some classics and I bet Screaming Saban would win hands down.

21. dkhhuey says: Oct 5, 2012 7:40 PM

That pic had to be taken a second or two after Jabba tried to sneak out a silent gasser after binder at the all you can eat Bahama Mamma and Kraut bar!

22. mogogo1 says: Oct 6, 2012 12:13 AM

“You are what are”
    ________________

I’ve never seen Twitter make anybody look smarter than they really are. And 99% end up looking considerably dumber, like in this case.

23. fockers2009 says: Oct 6, 2012 2:41 PM

Wideload just doing get it. never has, never will.