Cal’s Keenan Allen ‘hurt badly’ in loss to Utah?

As if Jeff Tedford‘s seat isn’t hot enough, the head coach may be forced to go into Cal’s next game — if not longer — without one of the top wide receivers in the country.

And could find that seat even hotter given the decision that led to the reported injury.

Rivals.com Cal writer Ryan Gorcey tweeted Wednesday afternoon that Keenan Allen was not seen at practice earlier in the day.  More ominously, Gorcey wrote that a “[s]ource says he was hurt badly” in last weekend’s loss to Utah.

The exact nature of the injury was not detailed, and Cal has yet to address any type of injury situation that may or may not involve the wide receiver.

The injury reportedly occurred when Cal decided to attempt an onside kick with 1:18 left in a game in which they were trailing by 22 points.  Why Tedford would decide to utilize such a kick with just over a minute left and down three scores, much less include far and away the Bears’ best offensive player, is unknown.

Also unknown, per reports, is Allen’s availability for Friday’s game against Washington.

Allen is far and away Cal’s leading receiver, more than doubling up the team’s No. 2 in receptions (61-29) and nearly doubling the next closest in receiving yards (737-380).  He also has half of the Bears’ 12 receiving touchdowns.  Last season as a sophomore, Allen caught 98 passes for 1,343 yards.

He broke the school’s record for career receptions in the game against the Utes.

Cal official Kyle McRae told CFT in a voicemail that the school had no comment on the situation.

Infant son of D’Onta Foreman passed away during Texas’ 2016 season

As a father five times over, I simply can’t imagine doing what D'Onta Foreman did last season.

On the field, the Texas running back was an absolute beast.  He led the nation in rushing yards per game at 184.4 — next closest was San Diego State’s Donnell Pumphrey at 152.4 — while his 2,028 total rushing yards were second to Pumphrey (2,133).  On Nov. 5 against Texas Tech, Foreman ran for 341 yards, the third-highest total in Longhorns history.

In a profile that appeared on the NFL Network, Foreman revealed that, unbeknownst to those outside of the football program, his girlfriend gave birth to a baby boy on Sept. 16.  His son was born premature and weighed just 15 ounces at birth; 50 days later, the infant passed away — not long after Foreman’s historic performance against Tech.

In fact, Foreman learned of his son’s death as he was driving back to the hospital in Texas City after the game to be with him.

From HookEm.com‘s transcription of his interview with the NFL Network:

I always dreamed of having a boy and naming him after me and you know, just seeing him grow. You know, just loving him.

“He was a fighter, you know. He would like fight and he’s going to make it and everything will be fine.”

“I really didn’t know how to feel. I was like numb. I was driving and then I was crying while I was driving. I was crushed and I was so hurt. I feel like something was taken away from me before I even really got the chance to experience it.

While nothing can ever replace Foreman’s loss, there is a silver lining in his story as the back’s girlfriend is again pregnant.  The due date?  The same day D’Onta Vanton Foreman Jr. was born.

Foreman Sr. is one of the players who are part of the pool for the NFL draft, which will take place this Thursday in Philadelphia.

Via Twitter, safety Jordan Fogal says he’s leaving Utah