Marcus Lattimore

Lattimore undergoes successful surgery, will not be at game vs Hogs


A horrific knee injury suffered against Tennessee last month has ended Marcus Lattimore‘s season, and perhaps career, at South Carolina — although Steve Spurrier said at a rally for the running back that Lattimore’s intention was to return to the Gamecocks. Whether Lattimore returns to Columbia or makes a jump to the NFL isn’t known right now, nor exactly when it is that he’ll return. USC’s team doctor confirmed there’s a chance Lattimore could return by 2013, but a very real possibility exists that he won’t see the field until 2014.

All the aforementioned details will work themselves out in due time. Lattimore’s road to recovery began last Friday when he underwent successful surgery in Birmingham to have several ligaments in his right knee surgically repaired, per a school release.

“Lattimore’s surgery was a collaborative effort between USC team physician Dr. Jeffrey Guy, Dr. Lyle Cain, and USC team consultant Dr. James Andrews,” the release states, which you can read HERE.  “He returned to Columbia over the weekend and was released from a local hospital on Monday. Lattimore is in good spirits and has already begun the rehabilitation process. At this time, there are no plans for further surgery, according to Dr. Guy.”


“The ramp signage at Williams-Brice Stadium recognizing Lattimore’s school record 38 rushing touchdowns will be unveiled during Saturday’s game against Arkansas. However, Marcus, Dr. Guy and head football athletic trainer Clint Haggard have agreed it is not in Marcus’s best interest to attend the game. The Gamecocks will host the Razorbacks in a noon contest on November 10.”

It’s too bad Lattimore won’t be able to attend the event/game, but at least there’s no mistaking how the Gamecock faithful feel about their star running back. The junior’s  2,677 yards are good for sixth in school history. He was the team’s leading rusher this season with 662 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Duke’s leader in receiving yards ruled out of Georgia Tech game

DURHAM, NC - NOVEMBER 14: Anthony Nash #83 of the Duke Blue Devils dives for the end zone at the end of a 52-yard pass reception against the Pittsburgh Panthers at Wallace Wade Stadium on November 14, 2015 in Durham, North Carolina. (Photo by Lance King/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Not surprisingly, Duke will be without one of its biggest and most productive threats in the passing game this weekend.

In releasing the injury report ahead of Saturday’s game against Georgia Tech, the Blue Devils confirmed that Anthony Nash will not play against the Yellow Jackets.  The wide receiver suffered a broken clavicle during the Oct. 14 loss to Louisville.

There’s no timetable for the redshirt senior’s return.

Nash currently leads the Blue Devils in receiving yards (398) and yards per reception (13.7).  His two receiving touchdowns are tied for second on the team.

Prior to the injury, Nash had started 16 consecutive games.

Memphis suspends two in wake of physical altercation, shooting

Getty Images

In a statement Wednesday night, Memphis head coach Mike Norvell confirmed that he has indefinitely suspended wide receiver Jae’Lon Oglesby and cornerback Kam Prewitt from his football program.

The teammates were reportedly involved in an on-campus physical altercation Tuesday.  Later that day, several gunshots were fired into Oglesby’s car while the receiver was sitting in his apartment. Oglesby told police he did not see who fired the shots, but did indicate that he had been involved in the altercation with Prewitt.

No one has been arrested in connection to either incident, and Memphis police are currently investigating the situation.

“I will make no further comments on this matter while it remains under investigation,” the Tigers coach said in his statement. Norvell’s decision to suspend the players came after consultation with athletic director Tom Bowen.

Bowen said in his own statement that the university has “offered our full support to the local authorities investigating that incident.”

The past two seasons, Oglesby, a sophomore, has caught 25 passes for 213 yards and a touchdown.  Five of those catches and 46 of the yards have come in 2016.  He also has carried the ball eight times for 64 yards.

A redshirt freshman, Prewitt has yet to play a down for the Tigers.  According to the Commercial Appeal he was suspended during summer camp for undisclosed reasons.

Florida’s leading tackler a game-time decision vs. Georgia

GAINESVILLE, FL - SEPTEMBER 03: Ross Comis #2 of the Massachusetts Minutemen passes Jarrad Davis #40 of the Florida Gators to score a touchdown during the first half of the game at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on September 3, 2016 in Gainesville, Florida. (Photo by Rob Foldy/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Whether Florida will have its leading tackler for its annual rivalry game with Georgia won’t be known (still) for another couple of days.

The good news is that, for the first time since severely spraining his ankle in the Week 7 win over Missouri, Jarrad Davis returned to practice Wednesday, albeit on a limited basis.  If the linebacker takes the field for the UGA game, it won’t be known until Saturday shortly before kickoff.

“Obviously, that will be one of those that it’s got to be right with him, got to be right with the doctors. We’ll see. Kind of game time,” head coach Jim McElwain said. “I thought he moved pretty well. One of the tackling circuits he got beat up by one of the sleds. The sled bit back, but it was good to see. The opportunity to play in this game is something that’s real special and that guy is a real big part of our team. He’ll do anything he can to help us.”

Davis currently leads the Gators in tackles with 48 and is tied for second on the team with 3.5 tackles for loss.

While the status of Davis remains up in the air, McElwain did confirm that two starting defensive linemen, end Jordan Sherit and tackle Joey Ivie, will play against the Bulldogs.  Sherit underwent arthroscopic surgery three weeks ago while Ivie had surgery performed on his thumb the week before.  Additionally, starting defensive end Bryan Cox has a chance to play despite his own thumb injury.

BYU, Utah announce ‘Holy War’ extension through 2022

LAS VEGAS, NV - DECEMBER 19:  Quarterback Travis Wilson #7 of the Utah Utes runs for a touchdown against defensive back Micah Hannemann #7 of the Brigham Young Cougars during the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl at Sam Boyd Stadium on December 19, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Utah won 35-28.  (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Thankfully, one of the more underrated in-state rivalries isn’t going away anytime soon.

BYU and Utah announced Thursday that the schools have reached an agreement on a two-game extension of their series.  The Cougars will host the first game of the extension Sept. 11, 2021, in Provo while the Utes will return the favor Sept. 3 the following season in Salt Lake City.

The schools had previously agreed to games from 2017 through the 2020 season.

“BYU-Utah is one of the great college rivalries in the country. There’s a lot of history and tradition between the two schools and I’m glad we were able to extend the series through 2022,” said BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe in a statement. “I’ve loved this rivalry as a player, coach and administrator, and look forward to the future games.”

The teams have played 91 times since the series kicked off in 1922.  The Utes hold a 56-31-4 advantage all-time, including a 20-19 win earlier this season.