Jim Tressel

Tressel takes part in salute to Buckeyes’ ’02 title team

For the first time since he exited Ohio State in disgrace and under a cloud of controversy, the Sweatervest has returned to Ohio Stadium.

Between the first and second quarters of The Game between Ohio State and Michigan, the Buckeyes honored the 10-year anniversary of their 2002 BcS title team.  The coach of that team, Jim Tressel, had been rumored to be hesitant to take part in the ceremony due to the circumstances surrounding his departure, although several ex-players had been privately and publicly urging their former coach to take part.

The urging apparently had an impact.

As dozens of players from that team locked arms ahead of the between-quarters ceremony, Tressel was front and center in the group.  Taking the field to thunderous applause and cheers, Tressel was then raised atop his former players’ shoulders, further strengthening the din inside the Horseshoe.

If there was any doubt how the fans of the flagship football program feel about the deposed coach, the moment erased it.

It’s ironic, though, that this season happens to fall on the 10th anniversary of the program’s last BcS championship and affords Tressel the opportunity to make a ceremonious and triumphant return.  While Ohio State is 11-0 heading into the rivalry game, they are ineligible for the postseason thanks in large part to the lies and cover-up perpetrated by Tressel.

Yes, the man almost solely responsible for denying OSU the opportunity to match that ’02 team’s feat is honored in Ohio Stadium.  Ironic indeed.

Report: LSU’s Travin Dural hamstrung for rest of season

TUSCALOOSA, AL - NOVEMBER 07:  Travin Dural #83 of the LSU Tigers scores with a touchdown reception against Geno Matias-Smith #24 of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the second quarter at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 7, 2015 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

A season that will likely end up with LSU parting ways with its head coach will reportedly end with one of the Tigers’ most dangerous threats in the passing game on the sidelines as well.

While there’s been no confirmation from the school, LSU’s student newspaper, the Daily Reveille, is reporting that Travin Dural will undergo surgery this week for a right hamstring tear. As a result, the wide receiver will miss the regular-season finale against Texas A&M as well as a bowl game.

Dural sustained the injury in last weekend’s loss to Ole Miss that seemingly sealed his head coach’s fate. The receiver tweeted the following after the reports surfaced.

Dural is tops on the Tigers in averaging 19 yards per reception, and his 28 catches for 533 yards and three touchdowns are second on the team. The 6-2, 203-pound Dural led the Bayou Bengals last season with 37 catches for 758 yards and seven touchdowns.

A redshirt junior, Dural is expected to make himself available for the 2016 NFL draft.  The recovery time for his procedure will be 3-4 months, which puts his availability for the February NFL combine decidedly in doubt.

Stanford loses FB Daniel Marx for the season to leg injury

Conrad Ukropina, Daniel Marx