The week between the NFL’s conference championship Sunday and the Super Bowl tends to be a rough one for sports on TV. But even when things look bleak, football finds a way to come out a winner.
Saturday’s Senior Bowl was the number one sports program being tweeted about yesterday, according to the overnight numbers from Nielsen. The Senior Bowl, which aired on NFL Network, saw a larger unique audience on Twitter than UFC Fight Night on FOX and a men’s college basketball game between Michigan and Wisconsin airing on ESPN.
Per Nielsen’s numbers, over 2 million Twitter users keeping tabs on the Senior Bowl, which was won by the North. The college football all-star event stayed just ahead of the UFC fight, which had 1.976 million paying attention on Twitter. The UFC event did have more unique authors (31,000 different unique authors) than the Senior Bowl (19,000 unique authors on Twitter).
Nielsen Twitter TV Ratings: Unique Audience (1/24/2015)
1. Senior Bowl, NFL Network – 2,003,000
2. UFC Fight Night, FOX – 1,976,000
3. College Basketball (Michigan vs. Wisconsin), ESPN – 1,804,000
4. Spanish Primera Division Soccer (Cordoba CF vs. Real Madrid CF), beIN Sports – 1,775,000
5. NBA Basketball (Detroit vs. Milwaukee), NBA TV – 1,758,000
Nielsen Twitter TV Ratings: Unique Authors (1/24/2015)
1. UFC Fight Night, FOX – 31,000
2. Spanish Primera Division Soccer (Cordoba CF vs. Real Madrid CF), beIN Sports – 26,000
3. Senior Bowl, NFL Network – 19,000
4. NBA Basketball (Detroit vs. Milwaukee), NBA TV – 14,000
5. College Basketball (Michigan vs. Wisconsin), ESPN – 13,000