Citing personal reasons, Mizzou’s OC steps down

12 Comments

While rumors of Gary Pinkel‘s demise at Missouri never came to fruition, there were rumblings that, coming off a subpar season in the Tigers’ first season in the SEC, a shakeup to the coaching staff could be forthcoming.

Monday morning, that speculation officially turned into a reality, and a rather stunning one at that.

In a release, Mizzou announced that offensive coordinator David Yost has resigned his position, effective immediately.  Yost cited “personal reasons” for his decision, saying he felt it was the proper time to turn the keys to the offense over to someone else..

“First off, I want to thank Coach Pinkel for an amazing 17 years,” said Yost.  “He has done so much for me and I’m just so grateful for the faith that he showed in me and all of the opportunities that he sent my way.  I also want to thank Mike Alden for the support he has given me personally, and to our program.  Mizzou is a special place, and I know that we’re positioned to do great things going forward.

“There are a lot of factors that played into the process of coming to my decision. I feel like I’ve had a great run here and that it’s just the right time to turn it over to someone else.  On one hand, it’s a really hard decision to make, but on the other hand, I feel good that it’s the right decision at the right time for me.”

Yost has been on Pinkel’s staff at Mizzou since the coach came to Columbia in 2001, serving first as quarterbacks coach before being promoted to coordinator in 2009.  Yost’s relationship actually extends back to 1996, serving as a grad assistant on Pinkel’s Toledo coaching staff.

Given that relationship, and at least for public consumption, Pinkel said he asked Yost to reconsider his decision.

“It is very difficult to imagine not having David as part of our staff,” said Pinkel.  “I asked him to reconsider, but I respect his decision.  He has been such an instrumental part of our program and everything we‘ve built since we came here.  There’s hardly an aspect of our program that he hasn’t had a hand in, and we’re going to miss his leadership and energy.  He was responsible for a lot of things, and he did them all very well.  He was an outstanding representative of Mizzou who busted his tail for our program.   He’s going to be tough to replace.”

Following Mizzou’s move from the Big 12 to the SEC, the Tigers saw a precipitous drop in production on the offensive side of the ball.  After finishing 30th in the country at 32.8 points per game, the Tigers somehow lost a touchdown and an extra point on their way to a new conference, dipping to 81st nationally at 25.7 ppg.  They lost nearly a quarter of their total offense, going from 12th nationally (475.5 yards per game) to an alarming 96th.

In fairness to Yost, the combination of much better defenses in the SEC and injury issues with the starting quarterback played a significant role in that startling offensive decline.

While Mizzou will launch a national search immediately, there’s no specific timetable for hiring a replacement.

Tennessee WR Jauan Jennings dismissed after Instagram tirade against Vols coaching staff

Getty Images
3 Comments

The 2017 season just can’t end quick enough for Tennessee.

Proving that there have been much better days on Rocky Top, the school has reportedly and unexpectedly dismissed wide receiver Jauan Jennings from the team on Wednesday evening — just hours after the junior went on a tirade against the current coaching staff and posted it to his social media accounts.

Jennings reportedly went off earlier in the day at the staff and called them several choice, NSFW names in videos posted to his private Instagram account.

The receiver was somewhat of a surprise return to practice recently as it was expected he was going to miss the rest of the season after being injured in season opener against Georgia Tech. Jennings enter the year as an All-SEC third team selection in the preseason but was limited to just three catches for 17 yards the first half of the Vols’ first game.

Jennings could transfer to another school as he has a redshirt year available and likely would be able to receive a medical redshirt as well. Declaring for the NFL Draft seems the more likely scenario however but one thing is for certain: a return to Tennessee doesn’t look like it’s in the cards after Wednesday’s actions on both sides.

Arkansas names advisory committee for athletic director search to replace Jeff Long

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Arkansas needs a new athletic director so they’re doing what every enterprise in college athletics does when they need to get something done: form a committee.

The school announced on Wednesday that they had formed a seven person search committee to find the Razorback’s next athletic director after firing Jeff Long last week from the same position. Julie Cromer Peoples will continue to serve as the interim AD while Arkansas chancellor Joseph Steinmetz finds the next permanent name for the position.

The committee is quite a diverse group, headlined by LPGA golfer Stacy Lewis (who golfed for the school). Women’s track coach Lance Harter, Board of Trustees chairman Ben Hyneman, professor Gerald Jordan, architecture school dean Peter MacKeith, Razorback Foundation member Rick Massey, and former quarterback turned booster Bill Montgomery.

“I sought to assemble a committee representative of the university, spanning past and present in our academics and athletics history, with knowledge and perspective about Arkansas, and, notably an appreciation of the source of pride the Razorbacks are for the state of Arkansas,” Steinmetz said in a statement. “I have great faith in the approach that each of these advisors will bring to the process and I’d like to thank these folks for their time in this endeavor.”

It remains unclear what, if any, input the committee will have regarding the future of head coach Bret Bielema. His tenure was widely linked to that of Long’s and rumors have already surfaced that the school will quickly let the coach go and begin a full court press to land Auburn’s Gus Malzahn to replace him.

First up though is the team’s final game, which comes at home against Missouri on Friday. Arkansas, sitting at 4-7 on the season, has already been eliminated from bowl contention so the outing will be the team’s last before the future direction of the program gets decided.

AAC commissioner Mike Aresco says league is being disrespected by Playoff selection committee

Getty Images
3 Comments

Mike Aresco has gone full Rodney Dangerfield.

The AAC commissioner made the rounds with several national media folks on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after seeing a three-loss Mississippi State team jump the conference standard-barer Central Florida in the latest College Football Playoff Selection Committee’s Top 25 rankings. Not only is the American commish claiming that the Knights aren’t getting a “fair shake” by the committee as part of the disrespect shown toward his league, he’s also not happy that one-loss South Florida isn’t even making the cut for the top 25.

“I just don’t think our league is garnering the respect it deserves, period… I feel strongly about it. The evidence is in,” Aresco told ESPN. “We’ve tried to prove for five years how good our conference is. What do we have to do is my question, to prove that we’re a really good league, especially at the top? I just don’t like the notion that, well, strength of schedule, I don’t like to see UCF behind three- and two-loss teams, and I think they can play with anyone. I just don’t know what more we can do.”

Aresco later expanded on his comments and said UCF should be in the top 10 and ahead of two-loss teams like Ohio State.

The fact that Aresco is sticking up for his league and his teams are no surprise but the public way he is going about criticizing the selection committee is a much different tack than previously employed. The AAC remains all but a lock to secure the annual Group of Five bid, which should go to the conference champion among No. 15 UCF, No. 20 Memphis or unranked USF (which would have a chance to beat both of the others in the next two weeks).

CFP executive director Bill Hancock issued a very generic statement in response to Aresco’s comments but his latest salvos should make for some interesting questions next Tuesday when chairman Kirby Hocutt goes in front of the cameras to explain the next set of rankings.

Amid Jimbo Fisher rumors, Florida State continues to explore facilities upgrades

Getty Images
3 Comments

Jimbo Fisher turned interest from LSU to be their head coach into one of the biggest coach-friendly contracts in the country. Could he be leveraging the same kind of interest from Texas A&M into further facilities upgrades? It appears so.

Hot on the heels of Houston Chronicle report that said Fisher is the top target to replace the eventually deposed Kevin Sumlin in College Station, the Orlando Sentinel says that the Seminoles are exploring a number of different options to give the football program their own sport-specific facility on campus.

“You have no idea,” Fisher told the paper on Monday when asked about the importance of a centralized complex. “Their days are strung out … the schedules they’re on and what they’re asked to do. When you’re wasting time in between, you’re wasting development time for them.”

The Sentinel reports that there are two leading options for the program, the first of which includes a renovation of the team’s current home, the Moore Athletic Center, that would also result in other Seminoles sports moving to a different area for office space and training facilities. The other option would include a brand new football complex that would be built right next to the current indoor practice facility. Things are still in the planning stage at this point but it certainly sounds like things are getting fast-tracked given everything that is going on in the college football world in Tallahassee and beyond.

Whether Fisher leaves or not, it’s pretty clear that Florida State will be looking to build a new football facility for the simple fact that they need to keep up with their peers in the state. Florida is set to break ground in December on their new facility and Miami should have their new indoor facility ready to go by the start of next season. Even USF has laid the groundwork for a $40 million project that will include the latest and greatest for the Bulls football team.