Of course. You know the drill by now.
Rutgers, one of two new members of the Big Ten conference, is suing the Big East in an attempt to get out paying the league’s $10 million exit fee and waiting 27 months to depart, per league bylaws. The lawsuit, filed in Middlesex County Court, was reported by courthousenews.com.
“Upon information and belief, the new withdrawal fee of $10 million arbitrarily applies to some, but not all, of the Big East football schools, and the effect is to penalize certain members if they seek to withdraw,” the complaint states. “Moreover, the Big East’s excusal of noncompliance by Syracuse, Pittsburgh, TCU, and WVU with the 27 month notice provision of the Bylaws constitutes a waiver of this same provision with respect to Rutgers.”
“The court should accordingly enter an order declaring the Bylaws to be void and of no effect as between the parties, permitting Rutgers to withdraw from The Big East prior to July 1, 2015, or in alternative, declaring that The Big East has waived Rutgers’ obligation to abide by the 27 months notice provision and the requirement of a withdrawal fee.”
Additionally, Rutger is claiming the Big East owes it money for failing to collect nearly $40 million in withdrawal fees from the aforementioned former members. That money was supposed to be distributed among Big East member institutions. Rutgers also claims the Big East “turned a blind eye” to $1.3 million the Scarlet Knights did not receive from losing a home game against TCU.
Rutgers nor the Big East have commented on the suit.
Maryland, the other Big Ten acquisition, is also suing the ACC to try to get out of paying the conference’s $50 million exit fee.
It appears Jake Spavital won’t be out of a job for long.
A month and some change after “mutually parting ways” with Texas A&M, Spavital has reportedly found a new home out west. FootballScoop (where I also work) and Fox Sports reported Friday Spavital had found a new home at California, and on Wednesday Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman added that Spavital will receive a two-year deal in Berkeley.
Cal head coach Sonny Dykes and his new offensive coordinator have never worked together previously, but each hails from the same school of thought. Dykes rose the ranks while working under Mike Leach at both Kentucky and Texas Tech and under Mike Stoops at Arizona, while Spavital spent the past few years working for former Leach assistant Dana Holgorsen at Houston, Oklahoma State and West Virginia and with former Bob Stoops assistant Kevin Sumlin at Texas A&M.
Spavital earned just north of $486,000 in 2015 according to the USA Today salary database while the man he replaces, new Middle Tennessee offensive coordinator Tony Franklin, made $510,000.
Cal finished the 2015 season ranked seventh nationally in yards per play and 17th in scoring, but Spavital will be tasked with re-tooling the attack without future 1st-round pick Jared Goff at quarterback.
SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said Wednesday his move to block Michigan’s spring break practices at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., wasn’t what you thought it was.
Speaking to AL.com, Sankey said:
“That’s the national issue and if I’m the only that is going to speak about it, so be it. But it is one piece of this conversation that we don’t need to further. In addition, we need to understand that it’s really clear when people do things — push the boundaries — others follow and I think it is all in our collective best interests to say out-of-season sports using, in this case, spring break for practice purposes, is not appropriate.
He added: “What’s unfortunate is people try to reduce this to simply a competitive issue, which it is not.”
To which the nation collectively rolls its eyes.
We’ll have to wonder whether or not Sankey would have proposed the same legislation had Jim Harbaugh moved Michigan’s practices to, say, Carson, Calif., but the guess here is he would not. And if the maize-and-blue made their southward trek during a school week, it’s hard to believe Sankey would have sat idly by and let it happen.
No, Sankey would have done what was best for his constituents, while Harbaugh does the best for his.
So while Harbaugh offered his side of the story on Twitter earlier Wednesday….
… Sankey said he would not respond 140 characters at a time. Which is both a smart move (for him) and a shame (for the rest of us) at the same time.
“I’m not going to reduce what is an important conversation to some childhood use of Twitter,” he said. “This is an important issue.”
Another day, another senior deciding to use his final season of eligibility elsewhere.
The latest to do as much is Delshawn McClellon, who took to Instagram Tuesday to confirm that he has decided to leave Utah and finish his collegiate career at an undetermined locale. While the wide receiver gave no reason in the post for his decision, it’s likely based in part at seeking a better opportunity for more playing time.
McClellon will be leaving the Utes as a graduate, meaning he could play immediately in 2016 if another FBS school is his next stop.
You have been good to me Utah, met some real people and created great memories over the past four years. Couldn’t be more thankful for them helping me out with my situation years back. Crazy to think I’ll be suiting up with someone else next season but, I got to do what’s best for me.
“You have been good to me Utah, met some real people and created great memories over the past four years,” the receiver wrote on the social media website. “Couldn’t be more thankful for them helping me out with my situation years back. Crazy to think I’ll be suiting up with someone else next season but, I got to do what’s best for me.”
McClellon, who’s listed in his official bio as Utah’s fastest player (4.37 40), played in 31 games the last three years after redshirting as a true freshman. The California native finishes his Utes career with eight receptions for 110 yards.
Health issues played a significant role in Pat Haden‘s decision earlier this month to step down as USC’s athletic director later this year. Similar issues, unfortunately, have arisen yet again.
According to multiple media outlets, Haden sustained some type of medical event outside of Heritage Hall this morning and was treated by paramedics called to the scene. He was ultimately transported to a local hospital, but is reportedly doing better physically after feeling lightheaded and being forced to sit to prevent a collapse.
In October of last year, Haden experienced a similar episode prior to USC’s game against Notre Dame. That prompted the athletic director to step down from his position on the College Football Playoff selection committee.
Haden has served in his capacity at his alma mater since 2010. He’s scheduled to officially step down from his post June 30 of this year.