Five-star transient Chris Martin lands at Kansas


Five months after signing on as a member of Cal’s 2010 recruiting class — after originally being a Notre Dame verbal — and citing the need to get away from Berkeley “distractions”, Chris Martin announced that he was leaving Cal and wound up at Florida a day later.  Less than a year later, the defensive end left Gainesville as well following an herb-centered arrest.

Now, after spending the past two seasons at the JUCO level, Martin is back with an FBS program.  For how long remains to be seen.

Martin confirmed to that he will sign with Kansas Wednesday after spending the 2012 season playing for City College of San Francisco.  Jayhawks head coach Charlie Weis recruited Martin while the former was head coach at Notre Dame and the latter a high school player in Aurora, Colo.

“After meeting with coach Weis that sealed the deal. We met and talked about things and got everything straight. The people here at Kansas I am dealing with makes me confident this is the right place. I’m going to KU.”

“I’ve always looked at him (Weis) as a mentor. He’s a straight-shooter and he wouldn’t steer me wrong. He’s been genuine and we have talked several times what I have been through. He’s told me his plans for KU and I think I can come in and be successful.”

Weis was fired by Notre Dame following the 2009 regular season season, a little more than two months before Signing Day 2010 and nine months after Martin had given a verbal to Weis’ Irish.  That firing led to Martin flipping his Notre Dame verbal commitment to a signed Letter of Intent with Cal.  Weis served as the Gators’ offensive coordinator in 2011, hired six months prior to Martin’s departure from The Swamp.

Martin has yet to play a game at the FBS level, what with all the packing and unpacking and whatnot.  He was rated as the No. 2 defensive end and the No. 18 player at any position in the country for the 2010 recruiting cycle.

In addition to Kansas, Martin held offers this time around from Nebraska, Washington State, San Diego State and Houston.

Illinois announces two-year extension for interim head coach Bill Cubit

Bill Cubit
Associated Press
Leave a comment

Illinois has extended year-long interim head coach Bill Cubit for another two seasons, the program announced Saturday afternoon. Does that make him a short-term full-time head coach or a long-term interim coach? Or a combination of the two?

Either way, Cubit is in Champaign to stay through the 2017 season.

A mitigating factor here, undoubtedly, is the absence of a full-time chancellor and a full-time athletics director.

“Bill has stepped in during an extremely difficult period and done an outstanding job in leading our football program since August,” interim athletics director Paul Kowalczyk said in a statement. “Our student-athletes have responded in a positive manner and we feel he is the best person at this time to be the head coach. We wanted to allow Bill to make decisions regarding the program as the head coach without the interim title, and lead the Fighting Illini into Saturday’s game without speculation.”

Cubit’s extended contract will pay him $1.2 million annually. Former Illini head coach Tim Beckman made a reported $1.8 million.

“During the past three months, Coach Cubit has led this team with a steady and experienced hand,” interim chancellor Barbara Wilson said. “He has earned respect and appreciation from all of us. This move will allow the permanent Athletics Director to evaluate the program at his or her own schedule and make decisions based on those evaluations once that search is completed.”

Illinois is 5-6 this season, playing to extend its season at home against No. 16 Northwestern (3:30 p.m. ET, ESPNU).

Tulane announces Curtis Johnson officially out as head coach

Curtis Johnson
Associated Press
Leave a comment

Confirming what was reported earlier this week, Tulane announced Saturday morning it had relieved head coach Curtis Johnson of duties.

Johnson closed his four-year tenure with a 45-34 loss to Tulsa Friday night, a game where the Green Wave led midway though the fourth quarter but were undone by two pick-sixes. He closes his run with a 15-34 record, peaking with a 7-6 mark and a New Orleans Bowl appearance in 2013 but winning only eight games in his other three seasons.

“I want to thank CJ for his hard work and his dedication to rebuilding the Green Wave football program,” Tulane AD Rick Dickson said in a statement. “His efforts were rewarded in 2013 when Tulane reached its first bowl in 11 years. Since then, however, the program has not progressed to the level that we aspire to.”

Similar to Illinois, Central Florida and possibly Rutgers, Tulane says it will find a replacement for Dickson (who originally said he’d step down mid-2016) before finding a new head coach.

Report: Rutgers AD Juile Hermann could be on the chopping block this weekend

Julie Hermann
Associated Press

Many assume Rutgers head coach Kyle Flood won’t survive this disappointing and scandal-ridden fourth season of his. But it could be his boss, the highly controversial Julie Hermann, that receives the ax first.

According to a report from Keith Sargeant of, Hermann could see her 30-month tenure end as soon as this weekend.

“Rutgers athletic director Julie Hermann is expected to meet with university President Robert Barchi before the end of the weekend, three people familiar with the situation told NJ Advance Media on Friday,” Sargeant wrote. “The meeting, presumably called by Barchi, is the first evidence the university’s administration is preparing to act.”

Sargeant writes that Hermann has been kept in the dark while the university conducts a top-to-bottom investigation into the football program’s compliance efforts. Flood was suspended three games and fined $50,000 earlier this season for overriding the church-state relationship between football and academics.

The results of that investigation could find Rutgers joining the ranks of Illinois and Central Florida among schools looking to hire an AD and head football coach at the same time.

“The futures of Flood and Hermann could hang on a report being compiled by the university’s office of enterprise risk management, ethics and compliance,” wrote Sargeant. “The report is expected to detail allegations of failed drug tests and other issues that could result in NCAA infractions and possible sanctions, multiple people familiar with the situation have told NJ Advance Media.”

In addition to a losing season on the field, Rutgers football has dealt with drug suspensions and player arrests off the field this fall.


AD says San Jose State coach Ron Caragher safe for 2016 despite missing bowl game

Ron Caragher
Leave a comment

A 40-23 loss to Boise State Friday condemned San Jose State to a third straight bowl-less season, but Spartans AD Gene Bleymaier said afterwards the setback would not result in a change in job status for head coach Ron Caragher.

“There’s no question about his status,” Bleymaier told the Contra Costa Times. “Ron’s our coach, and he’ll be our coach going forward.”

Hired away from San Diego to replace the departed Mike MacIntyre, Caragher is just 14-22 in three seasons leading the Spartans.

San Jose State did go 6-6 in his debut season of 2013 but did not garner a bowl invite.