A Texas A&M wide receiver who threw a scare into both his real-life and football families last month has decided to part ways with the program. Whether it’s a permanent departure remains to be seen.
Thomas Johnson, head coach Kevin Sumlin confirmed, has withdrawn from school and is in the process of determining the direction his future, football or otherwise, will take. “[J]ust trying to figure out what his next step is going to be,” Sumlin told the San Antonio Express-News.
One future step could be a return from where he came as Sumlin left the door open for the receiver to come back to the Aggies. Sumlin also acknowledged than a transfer out of the football program is also a possibility.
In mid-November, Johnson failed to show for a midweek practice, part of a development that prompted both a missing person’s alert to be issued and the A&M police department soliciting the public for help in finding the player. Johnson was found, safe and unharmed, nearly two days after he was last seen.
At the time of his disappearance, Johnson was third on the team with 30 receptions. He did not play in the Aggies’ final two regular season games.
The turbulent career of one of the most talented wide receivers in the country, at least at Auburn, has come to an end.
Monday night, Gus Malzahn surprisingly — and not so surprisingly — announced that D’haquille Williams has been dismissed from the football program. No specific reason for the dismissal was given.
“When individuals fail to meet the expectations of our program, there has to be consequences,” Malzahn said in a statement. “I gave D’haquille the chance to prove himself. I am disappointed that it did not work out.”
Williams was suspended from AU’s bowl game against Wisconsin last year because of unspecified violations of team rules. After participating in spring practice, he was suspended for the early part of summer camp before being reinstated in the middle of August.
The senior had played in all four games this season, catching 12 passes for 147 yards. The former total is second on the team, the latter third.
Despite playing in just 10 of 13 games last season — in addition to the suspension, he missed two games with a knee injury — Williams led the Tigers with 45 receptions and five receiving touchdowns. His 730 receiving yards were second on the team.
The media tapped him as a first-team All-SEC preseason selection coming off that season.
Pat Haden may have a growing number of detractors in Southern California, but that hasn’t stopped him from showing a personal touch off the field.
Myles Jack, one of the most talented linebackers in not only the Pac-12 but also the country, sustained a season-ending knee injury in UCLA’s Week 3 win over BYU. That injury may or may not have ended Jack’s collegiate career as he will be eligible for the 2016 NFL draft.
On his Instagram account Monday, Jack shared a letter of support from one of his admirers, who also happens to be the athletic director of UCLA’s bitter rival USC.
While it’s not the handwritten variety one Big 12 coach would prefer, it’s still a classy gesture nonetheless on the part of Haden.