Isaiah Roundtree Akeem Spence

Akeem Spence skipping senior season, leaving Illini for NFL

1 Comment

The roll for those leaving eligibility on the table for an early shot at the NFL has officially grown by one, with Illinois the latest to lose a player who would’ve been a significant contributor in 2013.

Following up on reports that surfaced earlier in the week, Akeem Spence confirmed Friday in a press conference that he has decided to forego his remaining season of eligibility and make himself available for the April NFL draft.  The defensive tackle said he made the decision this week after consultation with his father, and after being told he would be a second- or third-round pick.

“I would like to thank the University of Illinois for giving me an opportunity to become a great student-athlete. The current and past coaching staffs have been very supportive throughout my collegiate career. I can’t say enough about the extremely loyal fans and the entire athletic department, who have all made my collegiate experience an unforgettable one,” Spence said in a statement. “This has been a very important time in my life. My family and I look forward to the journey ahead and we expect nothing less than greatness on and off the field.

“Lastly, I deeply want to thank my father for being an incredible dad and teaching me valuable life lessons that will forever be instilled in me. It’s a wonderful feeling knowing your father is in your life and wants nothing but the best for his wife and kids. With all this in mind, I have decided to forgo my senior year and enter the 2013 NFL Draft. God bless the entire Illinois community: students, professors, athletic department and fans.”

The 6-1, 305-pound tackle becomes the fourth defensive lineman thus far to officially declare early for the draft.  How’d we know that?  We clicked HERE, of course.

Marshall DB Tiquan Lang arrested on DUI, weapons charges

HUNTINGTON, WV - SEPTEMBER 6: Tiquan Lang #21 of the Marshall Thundering Herd returns an interception for a touchdown late in the second half against the Purdue Boilermakers at Joan C. Edwards Stadium on September 6, 2015 in Huntington, West Virginia. Marshall defeated Purdue 41-31. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

There’s a combination you don’t see very frequently.

According to the Huntington Herald-Dispatch, Marshall defensive back Tiquan Lang was arrested on multiple charges early Saturday morning.  Those charges include driving under the influence, possession of a concealed deadly weapon and possession of a controlled substance.  All three of those charges are misdemeanors.

The situation began when police officers observed Lang asleep/passed out in a running vehicle and went downhill from there.  From the Herald-Dispatch’s report:

Upon arrival, officers turned off the car and made multiple attempts to wake the man, who was asleep with the driver’s seat reclined, according to criminal complaints. Police state the man had trouble maintaining balance as he exited the vehicle once awake.

After he was out of the vehicle, police say they found a Glock 27 with an extended 30-round magazine partially concealed under the seat.

A police dog sniffed out one full and two partial Xanax bars in the center console. Reports state police could smell the odor of marijuana, but none was found. A plastic cup with a small amount of liquor was located in the console.

Lang told police he had a prescription for the medication, and his drowsiness was exacerbated by drinking the liquor, according to the complaint.

The football program is aware of the development and will handle the matter internally.

Over the past three seasons, Lang has started 23 gams the past three seasons.  Last season, Lang was second on the team with 91 tackles.  He returned both of his interceptions for touchdowns as well.

Even before Kenny Chesney concert trashed it, plan was to replace Jordan-Hare turf

performs onstage during the 4th ACM Party For A Cause Festival at the Las Vegas Festival Grounds on April 3, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Getty Images
Leave a comment

On April 23, country music star Kenny Chesney performed at Auburn’s Jordan-Hare Stadium — and it’s fair to say that he tore the place up. Chesney and various guests performed at the “Music and Miracles Festival,” one of the first concerts ever at Jordan-Hare. The goal was to raise a million dollars to fight hunger and cancer. And it was a party. More than 50,000 people were there.

“Sometimes,” Chesney said after it was over, “you feel the energy long before you hit the stage.”

With all that energy, yeah, the field took a significant beating.

Jordan-Hare

The Auburn grounds crew then announced via Twitter that they would resod the field at the end of May and get things back to normal in plenty of time for football. The story could have died there.

But, of course, stories don’t really die too quickly these days. I mean: Look at that field. First came the comments and the talk about how the flooring was kept down the whole time. Then came the backlash toward Chesney. There’s no need to explain just how holy the Jordan-Hare Stadium field is to Auburn football fans. When people saw the after photos — even though it is months until the season opener against Clemson — well let’s just say things were said.

Chesney, a big football fan who wrote the song “The Boys of Fall” about high school football in his town, was pretty troubled by the whole thing. See, Auburn had always planned on resodding the field after the concert. That was obviously the strategy after inviting Chesney to perform in the first place.

“The plan to host Kenny Chesney at Jordan-Hare Stadium always included a full field replacement following the event,” Auburn associate AD for Operation Jeremy Roberts said. “And the field cover strategy we approved took this into consideration.”

“The plan the school had in place,” concert production manager Ed Wannebo says, “had nothing to do with this concert … the sod was being torn out regardless.”

Ah well, what is it that Chesney sings in “The Boys of Fall?”

It’s knockin’ heads and talkin’ trash
It’s slingin’ mud and dirt and grass

Utah State dismisses starting guard Tyshon Mosley

Tyshon Mosley
Utah State athletics
2 Comments

Expected to compete for All-Mountain West honors this season, Tyshon Mosley will instead be searching for a new college football home.

In a press release, Utah State announced that Mosley has been dismissed from the Aggies football program.  The only reason given was the standard violation of unspecified team rules.

In early August of last year, USU announced that Mosley was one of three players who had been suspended for the first two games of the 2015 season.  He returned from that suspension to start nine games at left guard.  At the end of last season, he was named honorable mention All-MWC.

After redshirting as a true freshman in 2013, Mosley started 11 of 14 games at left guard in 2014.

Abner Logan, projected starting LB, announces departure from Terps

Abner Logan
Associated Press
2 Comments

Not long after putting spring practice 2016 to bed, Maryland’s linebacking corps has taken a significant and unexpected hit.

On Instagram over the weekend, Abner Logan announced that he has decided to transfer out of the Terrapins football program.  As Logan will be leaving the Terps as a graduate transfer, he would be eligible to play immediately in 2016 if his next destination is at the FBS level.

After tearing his ACL in August of last year, Logan missed the entire 2015 season.  He was projected as a starter at linebacker under first-year head coach D.J. Durkin.

Logan was suspended for the first six games of the 2014 season by the university for unspecified reasons.  He came back to play the final seven games of the year.

In 2013 as a redshirt freshman, he started four of the 12 games in which he played.