Cincinnati v Louisville

Former Louisville player suing over alleged attack, scholarship cancellation


Two years ago, Louisville defensive lineman Patrick Grant was the victim of an alleged assault at the hands of two former teammates: twins Jacob and Isaac Geffrad. The incident is said to have happened in October, 2010, but the Geffrad brothers were not charged until January, 2011. They were, however, removed from the team.

That alleged assault, coupled with an accusation that Cardinals coach Charlie Strong wrongly cancelled Grant’s scholarship, is the basis for a lawsuit filed by Grant against the University of Louisville. WDRB in Louisville has the story, which you can read HERE.

“His injuries to his left eye area were severe,” the lawsuit states about Grant’s condition after the alleged attack. “Several of the bones surrounding it were broken and he was internally bruised. In other words, Patrick had sustained a ‘blowout fracture’ caused by a blunt trauma to the head. These are generally caused from personal altercations. His eye was bulging too. His treating physician was required to probe around the eyeball without any anesthesia in order to determine the extent of Patrick’s injuries.”

As a result, Grant gave up football after suffering complications from a hit he took after returning to the game. Grant also claims he was asked by a team trainer to cover up the specifics of the incident. The suit states that Strong later promised Grant that his 2011-12 athletic scholarship would be awarded as he continued his studies.

Then, the scholarship was supposedly canceled on Jan. 4, 2012. When Grant complained to Strong, the coach allegedly “ended the call and hung up the phone.”

As the Bylaw Blog writes, “Mid-year cancellations must be for specific reasons in the NCAA bylaws or for violating a term of the scholarship agreement. Any cancellation or non-renewal requires the student-athlete to be provided written notice from the financial aid office and a hearing opportunity.”

If Strong did in fact cancel Grant’s scholarship mid-year without proper notice or reason, he could have violated NCAA rules. Louisville hasn’t commented on the matter yet and many details of this situation aren’t clear, so it will be interesting to see what, if anything, arises from this case moving forward. It’s certainly a nasty allegation against Strong and UL right now, especially considering Strong just reaffirmed his commitment to the program instead of leaving for Tennessee.

Louisville is currently preparing for the Sugar Bowl against Florida.

Colorado loses starting LB Kenneth Olugbode for 4-6 weeks

during the Rocky Mountain Showdown at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on September 19, 2015 in Denver, Colorado.
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Colorado had already lost one starting inside linebacker to injury.  Now, the Buffs have lost another.

Kenneth Olugbode sustained an unspecified leg injury in the Week 5 loss to Oregon. As a result, Olugbode will miss 4-6 weeks.

At minimum, Olugbode will miss games against Arizona State, Arizona, Oregon State and UCLA, possibly returning for the Nov. 7 game against Stanford. Missing six weeks would see him miss the Stanford and USC games, returning, Nov. 21 vs. Washington State.

It’s going to be a big loss,” defensive tackle Justin Solis said according to the Denver Post. “It starts up front with us, the D-line. Not having K.O. out there is a huge loss, but it’s definitely something we accept as a challenge as a D-line. We’re going to step it up while he’s out.”

Olugbode had started all five games this season after starting all 12 games as a sophomore last season. Ryan Severson is expected to take his place in the starting lineup.

Dismissed Wolverine Logan Tuley-Tillman charged with three felonies

Logan Tuley-Tillman
Michigan Athletics

Back on September 10, it was announced that Jim Harbaugh had dismissed Logan Tuley-Tillman for “conduct unacceptable for a Michigan student-athlete.”  Now we know what that unacceptable conduct was.  Allegedly.

Wednesday morning, is reporting, Tuley-Tillman was charged with three felonies stemming from a Sept. 4 incident in which he’s accused of filming a sex act with a woman without her knowledge. Tuley-Tillman was officially charged with two counts of capturing/distributing an image of an unclothed person and one count of using a computer to commit a crime.

From the report:

Capturing/distributing an image of an unclothed person is punishable by up to two years in prison, a fine of no more than $2,000, or both. Using a computer to commit a crime, in this case, would be punishable by up to 10 years in prison, a fine of no more than $5,000, or both.

The incident occurred in the 300 block of Catherine Street Sept. 4. Tuley-Tillman is accused of filming a portion of a sexual encounter with a woman without her knowledge and then transmitting it to his personal device without her permission, according to Ann Arbor police.

Tuley-Tillman was a four-star member of Brady Hoke‘s second-to-last UM recruiting class, rated as the No. 24 offensive tackle in the country and the No. 7 player at any position in the state of Illinois.  He played in one game as a redshirt freshman last season, the season opener against Appalachian State.

This season, he had been listed as the No. 2 left tackle and played in the 2015 opener.