Gamecocks stun Wolverines on late TD to claim Outback Bowl

42 Comments

For a fleeting moment Tuesday afternoon, it appeared the Big Ten was about to shake the postseason SEC monkey off its back.  Northwestern had already easily handled a disappointing Mississippi State squad, while both Nebraska and Michigan held leads, albeit tenuous ones, on their SEC opposition.

In the end, though, we’re right back to where New Year’s Day began: the SEC owning the B1G.

As noted earlier, Georgia pulled away from the Cornhuskers in the second of the three B1G-SEC matchups.  In the third, it was No. 11 South Carolina pulling some late-game magic out of the Ol’ Ball Coach’s visor to add another B1G notch to the SEC’s headboard.

After Michigan had taken a 28-27 lead with 3:29 left in the game, a 70-yard Gamecocks drive was capped by a 32-yard touchdown pass from Dylan Thompson (backup quarterback) to Bruce Ellington (basketball point guard) with 11 ticks left, handing USC a stunning 33-28 Outback Bowl win over the Wolverines.  The Gamecocks have now won 23 games the past two seasons, with the 12 wins last season and 11 in 2012 marking the two winningest seasons in the school’s history.

Ace Sanders was the offensive star of the game for the Gamecocks, catching two touchdown passes as well as returning a punt 63 yards for another score.  It was Jadeveon Clowney, though, who stole the show.

The freakish sophomore defensive end was the talk of Twitter, largely due in part to one play that personified his freakish ability.  On that play, which came immediately after one of the most blatant missed calls of this or any other bowl season, Clowney simultaneously relieved Michigan’s Vincent Smith of both his helmet and the ball in one of the more jaw-dropping sequences you’ll ever witness:

 

That right there is exactly why Clowney will be a preseason favorite for the 2013 Heisman Trophy and the odds-on favorite to be the first player selected in the 2014 NFL draft.

As for Michigan, it’s the fourth time the past five seasons the Wolverines have finished with at least five losses.  This five-loss season, though, was different from other years as the five losses came to teams with a combined record of 57-7, including losses to the only two FBS schools that finished the regular season undefeated (Notre Dame, Ohio State).

There was one bright spot on the day as Denard Robinson broke Pat White‘s FBS record for most rushing yards by a quarterback with 4,505.  The former West Virginia Mountaineers finished his WVU career with 4,493 yards.

The SEC is now 3-2 this bowl season, while the Big Ten dropped to 2-4.  The SEC is now 11-5 against the Big Ten in bowl games the past six years, including a 7-2 mark the past three postseasons.

Victim of alleged WKU football attack plans to file charges

Getty Images
Leave a comment

A former Western Kentucky fraternity member says he was attacked by a group of Hilltoppers football players and plans to file charges.

Jerald Armfield, an alum of WKU’s Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, told WBKO-TV he was caught in an ongoing feud between the fraternity and the football team:

“I went to the house in the best interest of the fraternity and Western as a whole to prevent any type of violence from occurring. We got up there and realized they were all hiding behind garbage cans, trees, and buildings.”

“I never in my wildest dreams thought they would attack me in the manner that they did. They all started surrounding me. One of them threw a rock at me. It was within a few seconds that one of them punched me in the face.”

“I fell down. I was kicked several times. The whole time they were beating me, I was begging them to stop, telling them I wasn’t here the night before, I had nothing to to do with it, like please stop, please stop, and they didn’t.”

Armfield said between nine and 10 people ultimately attacked him; it isn’t known for sure how many of that group are on the football team, though the program’s involvement in the incident is being investigated.

“We are aware of the allegations involving a few members of our football team,” the program said in the statement when word of the altercation broke three weeks ago. “We are cooperating fully with the authorities. However, at this time, we have not received a police report and cannot provide further comment.”

While the status of the investigation is currently unknown, Armfield told WBKO he would like it to end with multiple charges. “I made it very clear that night when the police arrived on the scene that I wanted charges pressed,” he said. “As far as I know a detective from Bowling Green Police Department has it. As it stands right now, I still want charges pressed. They need to be held accountable for what they did not only as citizens but as students at Western.”

Baylor moves to dismiss lawsuit claiming 52 rapes over 3-year period

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Baylor has filed a motion to dismiss a lawsuit claiming 31 football players committed 52 rapes over a 3-year period from 2011-14. The school is citing the expiration of the statute of limitations and that the allegations do not meet the level of “deliberate indifference,” according to the Waco Tribune-Herald.

The suit was initially filed in late January who anonymously claimed she was raped by then-Bears football players Tre'Von Armstead and Shaymichael Chatman in 2013. Armstead and Chatman have both been indicted for that incident. Armstead was arrested earlier this month in Las Vegas in charges of resisting arrest in addition to the 2013 case.

Baylor also challenged the suit’s claim of a widespread culture of sexual violence, including claims the Baylor Bruins hostess program was encouraged to sleep with recruits in order to entice them to Baylor.

“Baylor does not agree with or concede the accuracy of plaintiff’s 146-paragraph complaint and its immaterial and inflammatory assertions,” the motion states.

Former offensive coordinator Kendal Briles told a recruit, according to the suit, “Do you like white women? Because we have a lot of them at Baylor and they love football players.”

 

Mark Dantonio breaks silence to reveal additional player suspensions

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mark Dantonio broke his silence Tuesday to talk about all the things he couldn’t talk about.

Speaking publicly for the first time since National Signing Day, Dantonio said more players have been suspended in addition to the three players and one staff member already suspended in connection with an ongoing sexual assault investigation. There are actually three investigations ongoing — a criminal probe, a Title IX investigation and an outside evaluation of the football program.

How many additional  players were suspended in conjunction with the investigations? Dantonio couldn’t say.

When were they suspended? Dantonio couldn’t say.

When were the original three players suspended? Dantonio couldn’t say.

How, one may wonder, has Michigan State managed to keep the suspended players’ identities secret despite spring practice now being a full month old? Easy: the Spartans have essentially shielded a black cloak around the entire program. The media hasn’t been allowed to watch practice. No depth charts or rosters have been released. No photos or videos have been produced. The content on @MSU_Football has vaguely referred to the ongoing spring practices by referencing the April 1 spring game, but all other tweets have centered around Michigan State’s involvement in the NFL Draft or the basketball Spartans’ NCAA Tournament berth. The program didn’t even comment on two players’ announced transfers throughout the offseason.

Dantonio even deemed it “trivial” to discuss Michigan State’s quarterback derby. The one piece of actual Spartans football news Dantonio revealed? Linebacker Drake Martinez, he of the one tackle in two appearances last season, has transferred.

Greg Sankey releases statement against Arkansas guns-at-sporting events law

Getty Images
1 Comment

The state of Arkansas has passed a law that allows concealed-carry handguns on publicly-owned property, which would include college sporting events.

Since it was realized immediately upon the bill’s announcement what a terrible, horrendous idea allowing lubed-up sports fans to bring handguns with them to the game would be, the law was quickly amended to exclude college sporting events.

But on Tuesday, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey released a statement arguing for Razorbacks events to be exempted from the law.

To date, Arkansas AD Jeff Long and head football coach Bret Bielema have yet to comment on the law, and Sankey’s statement today is likely coordinated with that — pushing the buck upwards while not crossing those in the Natural State that may be in favor of the bill.