Even as Florida State is celebrating the return of one defensive underclassmen, the Seminoles have incurred an even bigger, albeit expected, loss.
Following up on reports that surfaced earlier in the week, FSU confirmed Thursday evening that All-American Bjoern Werner has officially decided to take his leave of the ‘Noles and ply his football wares at the next level.
“I’m grateful to Coach Fisher and Florida State for giving me the opportunity to be a Seminole and play for one of the top college football programs in the country,” Werner said. “I’ve learned so much from the coaches especially Coach [D.J.] Eliot and have been able to play with some of the best players in the country. After sitting down with my wife Denise and gathering as much information, I’ve decided to move on and enter the NFL draft. I’ve enjoyed my time at FSU and will cherish the time I spent as a Seminole.”
Even as Werner’s early departure was long considered inevitable, it’s a significant loss nonetheless.
Simply put, Werner was one of the best defensive linemen in college football over the past two seasons. The end currently ranks seventh in the NCAA in sacks per game and second in total sacks (13) while adding 18 tackles for loss. Following the 2012 regular season, he was named as the ACC’s Defensive Player of the Year and was accorded unanimous All-American status.
He’s considered a lock to be a top-10 selection in the upcoming NFL draft, and could easily move into the top five by the time April rolls around.
“I’d like to congratulate Bjoern on his decision to enter the NFL draft,” FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher said. “It’s the best decision for him and his family. Not only is he a great football player but he’s an unbelievable person. His leadership on and off the field will impact this program for years to come. I wish him nothing but the best and he will always be remembered as one of the great players in FSU history.”