After two years away from BYU, Robert Anae is coming back to Provo.
Multiple outlets including the Deseret News and KFAN reported Friday morning that Anae was interviewing to come back as BYU’s offensive coordinator and offensive line coach as part of a larger reshuffling effort by head coach Bronco Mendenhall. The university later confirmed the news Friday evening.
“I am excited to announce Robert Anae as BYU’s offensive coordinator,” Mendenhall said in a statment. “During his career Robert has been involved with some of the best offensive schemes in college football, and he has a proven record of coaching elite-level offensive production. He is also a man of great intelligence, personal integrity, complete honesty and total loyalty. Robert is the ideal person to oversee our offense, and I’m thrilled he will be returning to BYU.”
Anae was the Cougars’ offensive coordinator from 2005-10 before resigning and moving on to Arizona as the Wildcats’ offensive line coach, where he spent one year under former coach Mike Stoops and this season under Rich Rodriguez.
“I’d like to thank Greg Burns, Rich Rodriguez and the Arizona staff and players for an outstanding year in 2012. It was my privilege to be part of the Arizona program the past two years and to have coached the players I worked with in Tucson,” Anae said. “I’d like to thank Tom Holmoe, Bronco Mendenhall and the BYU administration for the opportunity to return to BYU. My family and I look forward to an outstanding experience in a very familiar place.”
While Anae is expected to determine who on the offensive side of the ball is retained, it is believed that his OC replacement in 2011 and 2012, Brandon Doman, will retain his job as the team’s quarterbacks coach.
BYU ranked No. 56 nationally in total offense and No. 65 in scoring offense this year while finishing 8-5. Four of the Cougars’ five losses were decided by a touchdown or less with BYU scoring an average of 14 points in those games. BYU finished the year with a 23-6 win over San Diego State in the Poinsettia Bowl, although linebacker Kyle Van Noy could have been considered the team’s best offensive weapon in that game.
‘Scuffle’ led to broken nose, two starting Houston LBs missing game
Shortly before the start of what would become Houston’s win over UConn Thursday night, UH announced that a pair of starting linebackers, Tyus Bowser (head injury) and Matthew Adams (coaches’ decision), were among the four who would be sidelined for the AAC contest. And now we know that, when it came to those two, the head injury and coaches’ decision were intertwined.
In his postgame press conference following the win, head coach Tom Herman acknowledged that there had been what he described as a “scuffle” between Bowser and Adams on Wednesday. The former suffered a broken bone in his face in the “freak accident,” resulting in both starters being sidelined last night.
“[Wednesday], during our weekly tradition of ‘Family Fridays,’ where we go out on the field and play some silly games just to loosen the thing up, dodge ball, whiffle ball, two-hand touch football, the two got over-competitive and things briefly got out of hand during one of the games and resulted in a scuffle between Tyus and Matt, two brothers,” Herman said. “Our culture is one of love and the two are very close, remain very close and definitely consider [each other] brothers.
“They’re both very remorseful for what happened in yesterday’s incident.”
Bowser is expected to be out of the lineup “for a few weeks.” Herman said Adams, the Cougars’ third-leading tackler heading into the game, will be allowed to play against Navy in Week 6.
LISTEN: Steve Spurrier left Dabo Swinney the quintessential HBC voicemail
And we come to Reason No. 1,844 why college football is a lesser sport without Steve Spurrier in it.
As the head coaches at South Carolina and Clemson, Spurrier and Dabo Swinney traded their fair share of public barbs on more than one occasion, admittedly more so the former than the latter. Hell, on individual even suggested a rasslin’ match pitting the two coaches against other. There was also, though, a deep and mutual respect between the two, as evidenced by a voicemail Spurrier left for Swinney in 2014 after both the Tigers and Gamecocks lost their opener.
And, of course, he left the message for the rival coach in the most HBC way possible. From James Bates (follow him on Twitter HERE):
As always, pitch perfect, Coach Spurrier.
Nick Saban’s dad ‘would’ve kicked me out of the house’ if he quit team
Unofficially? The Nicktator appears to be somewhat agitated by not only the move itself but the overall transfer climate in the sport.
Shortly after releasing the statement on Barnett, Saban appeared on his weekly radio show. While the quarterback’s name wasn’t specifically mentioned, it wasn’t hard to crack the code Saban was using in dropping pearls of wisdom from the lessons his West Virginia-born father had taught him.
It’s one of those things where I think the culture has changed a little bit,” Saban said. “I think there’s a certain pride people have in competition. There’s certain things that I was taught growing up about not quitting and seeing things through. I think if I would have come home and told my dad that I was going to quit the team, I think he would have kicked me out of the house. I don’t think I’d have a place to stay.
“My dad used to always say ‘The grass is always greener on top of the septic tank,'” Saban said. “So it always looks better someplace else. So you think, instead of facing your fears and really overcoming adversity and making yourself better through the competition, you go someplace else thinking it will be better there. But until you face your fears, you’re always going to have some of those issues or problems.
Exactly what Saban’s father would’ve thought of his son leaving the Miami Dolphins after just two years and his first losing season as a head coach to make the move to Alabama is unknown.
No determination yet for ‘appropriate discipline’ of arrested ‘Bama LB
An off-field incident involving one of his Alabama football players has drawn a public response from Nick Saban.
Very early Thursday morning, Tim Williams was arrested university police officers and charged with carrying a pistol without a permit. Williams and another unidentified male were sitting in the linebackers’ vehicle in a Publix parking lot when an officer who approached the vehicle smelled marijuana. A search revealed said marijuana, which the other man, who was seated in the driver’s seat, claimed; a gun was also found, which Williams claimed.
However, Williams could not produce a permit, leading to the misdemeanor charge.
In a statement, Saban said that “[t]his kind of behavior is not condoned in our program.” That said, the head coach was not ready to say one way or the other what if any punitive measures the senior may face.
“This kind of behavior is not condoned in our program,” the coach’s statement began. “We are currently in the process of reviewing all of the information. Once we have a complete understanding of the situation, we will determine what we need to do in terms of the appropriate discipline.”
Entering the 2016 season, Williams was viewed by many as a potential, or even likely, first-round pick in the 2017 NFL draft. He has just 1.5 sacks in four games this season after totaling 10.5 in 15 games in 2015.