Brian Polian

Report: A&M assistant one of five to interview for Nevada vacancy

As Texas A&M gets set to take on Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl tonight, one of Kevin Sumlin‘s assistants could be setting himself for a new gig in the coming week.

Chris Murray of the Reno Gazette-Journal is reporting that Nevada interviewed five candidates for its vacancy at head coach in Dallas Thursday.  The Wolf Pack have been searching for a new coach since Dec. 28, when longtime head coach Chris Ault surprisingly stepped down after nearly three decades on the job.

Sources confirmed to Murray the names of three of those candidates, with one of those being A&M assistant Brian Polian.  Polian, son of former NFL executive Bill Polian, is in his first season with the Aggies, serving as both special teams coordinator and tight ends coach.

While the 38-year-old Polian has never been a head coach at the collegiate level, he does have over a decade of experience that includes Stanford, Notre Dame, UCF and Buffalo.

The other two known candidates that were interviewed — Chris Klenakis and Tom Mason — have extensive ties to Nevada and have previously been reported as possibilities for the opening.  Mason is currently SMU’s defensive coordinator while Klenakis spent last season on the Arkansas coaching staff and was not retained by new head coach Bret Bielema.

In a press release sent out shortly before Murray’s report hit the web, Nevada announced that they would like to identify a finalist for the job and present him to the Board of Regents for approval at a Jan. 11 meeting.

(Photo credit: Texas A&M athletics)

Irish WR Corey Robinson elected Notre Dame student body president

TALLAHASSEE, FL - OCTOBER 18:  Corey Robinson #88 of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish reacts to a touchdown that was called back for pass interference late in the fourth quarter during their game against the Florida State Seminoles at Doak Campbell Stadium on October 18, 2014 in Tallahassee, Florida.  (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)

Regardless of how you feel about Notre Dame, this is really a rather impressive and refreshing story.

Late last month, we noted that Irish junior wide receiver Corey Robinson had tossed his hat into the campus political ring and was running for student body president.  Election Day on the South Bend campus was Wednesday, and it was officially announced Thursday morning that Robinson, the son of NBA Hall of Famer David Robinson, was the winner of the race and has been elected as the university’s student body president.

The first day in office for Robinson, along with vice president-elect Becca Blais, is April 1.

“It feels very humbling to be able to be announced the president and vice president of Notre Dame,” Robinson said according to the school’s student newspaper. “It’s [definitely something] we’ve been dreaming about for a long time, and to be able to be here and lead the student body is just something I am very thankful for.”

Robinson totaled 16 catches for 200 yards and a touchdown last season. With the departures of four of the Irish’s top five pass-catchers, Robinson is being counted on to be an integral part of the squad’s passing game in 2016.

When he announced his candidacy, Robinson addressed the time demands the new position would entail and how it should have minimal impact on the football side of his life.

“This spring, all of our practices are in the morning, so we practice from six in the morning until 10 a.m., and the rest of the day is free, and I have one class a day, no class on Fridays. In the summer, same kind of thing — we only practice for two hours a day, and I’m going to be here every day, all day, so that’ll be easy as well. I’m only taking one class,” Robinson said.

“In the fall, we practice to 2:30 to 7, so anything between those hours, I can’t participate in, but the rest of the day, I’m free. I’m going to have three or four classes … and the way my schedule works, only football and student body, so that way, I’ll be able to be fully invested in both, in those two aspects.”

‘Bama officially announces Derrick Ansley as DBs coach

Nick Saban Thumb