The mass early exodus from Baton Rouge continues today, with a trio of Bayou Bengals confirming what’s long been expected.
In a joint announcement, LSU confirmed that Bennie Logan, Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery have decided to forego their remaining collegiate eligibility and make their way to the April NFL draft. The former is a defensive tackle, while the latter two are defensive ends.
Mingo and Montgomery are viewed as mid-first-round picks, with the former possibly destined for the top 10. Logan, at the moment, appears to be slotted in the neighborhood of the second round.
“We are fortunate at LSU to be able to recruit the style of high school player that can develop very quickly into an NFL caliber athlete,” head coach Les Miles said in a statement. “The good fortune is that we invest in them, coach them and prepare them for the next step of their career. Generally speaking, every one of these guys is in position to return to school (during the offseason) to get their degree and one (Kevin Minter) has already graduated.
“We recruit very talented players with the understanding that there’s a choice that they may have to make following their junior year. It’s an individual decision and one that has to do with them and their family. I met with each player and provided them with as much information as I have so that they can make a quality decision in regards to their future. We wish these guys great fortune as they pursue this next step.”
Montgomery was a first-team All-American in 2011 and named to the second team in 2012, while Mingo was twice named second-team All-SEC.
With the defensive line trio departing, the Tigers have now lost nine players from their 2012 squad and there still might be at least one more departure. Included in that grouping are six defensive starters from a unit that finished eighth in scoring defense and 12th in total defense.
Even for a team deep in talent, that’ll be a tough row to hoe in 2013.
College football has lost a coaching legend of the sport that you may never have heard of.
Carson-Newman announced Wednesday morning that its legendary former head football coach, Ken Sparks, passed away earlier in the day at the age of 73. Sparks had been battling prostate cancer since being diagnosed in 2012, but doctors stopped treating him in January of this year.
According to WBIR-TV, Sparks had been in hospice care for the last several weeks.
Sparks was the head coach at Carson-Newman from 1980 through November of 2016, when he stepped down because of health concerns. During his time at the Div. II program — the first baker’s dozen years they were an NAIA school — the Eagles went 338-99-2. Sparks laid claim to five NAIA national championships and qualified for the Div. II playoffs 15 times in 24 years, although they failed to win a title at that latter level.
The 338 wins for Sparks are the fifth-most at any level of college football, behind only John Gagliardi (489), Joe Paterno (409), Eddie Robinson (408) and Bobby Bowden (377).
Not surprisingly, Alabama is going to err on the side of caution when it comes to one the most productive horses in its backfield stable.
On a second-down carry late in the third quarter of the national championship game loss to Clemson, Bo Scarbrough went down with an injury that turned out to be a fractured bone in his lower right leg. The rising sophomore running back has recovered enough to be a participant in the Crimson Tide’s spring practice during some drills, albeit in non-contact mode.
Following the fourth practice of the spring Tuesday, Nick Saban made it clear made it clear that, while Scarbrough is getting some work in, the football program won’t be pushing him.
“Bo is doing more and more every day,” the head coach said according to al.com. “He did quite a bit today in practice, non-contact stuff, but he’s sort of gaining confidence. Our goal for Bo is by the end of spring, he’s fully confident that he can do everything he needs to do. Whether he ever scrimmages or is really something that we’re not that concerned about.”
It’s expected Scarbrough, barring a setback between now and then, will be fully recovered well ahead of the start of summer camp in early August.
Scarbrough’s 812 yards rushing year was second amongst Tide backs, while his 11 rushing touchdowns were second on the team. He ran for 180 of those yards and two of the touchdowns in the College Football Playoff semifinal win over Washington, then had 93 yards and two more touchdowns before going down with the injury in the title game.
Coming off a season in which he was the best player on Western Kentucky’s men’s basketball team, Justin Johnson is going to try his hand at another sport.
According to the Bowling Green Daily News, Johnson will practice with the Hilltoppers football team for the remainder of spring practice. The 6-7 forward will, not surprisingly, spend his time at tight end.
At the end of practices this spring, a WKU official told CFT, both sides will determine what if any future Johnson has in the sport.
Johnson admitted in one interview earlier this basketball season that he grew up wanting to play linebacker for Ohio State, and he did play two years of football at his Kentucky high school. Despite the fact that both Kentucky and Louisville had interest in him as a tight end, he ended up signing with WKU’s hoops team in 2014.
That decision has worked out well for both parties as Johnson has led the team in scoring and rebounding each of the past two seasons. He led Conference USA in the latter category as well as double-doubles, and was named second-team all-conference after his junior season.
A former Western Kentucky fraternity member says he was attacked by a group of Hilltoppers football players and plans to file charges.
Jerald Armfield, an alum of WKU’s Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, told WBKO-TV he was caught in an ongoing feud between the fraternity and the football team:
“I went to the house in the best interest of the fraternity and Western as a whole to prevent any type of violence from occurring. We got up there and realized they were all hiding behind garbage cans, trees, and buildings.”
“I never in my wildest dreams thought they would attack me in the manner that they did. They all started surrounding me. One of them threw a rock at me. It was within a few seconds that one of them punched me in the face.”
“I fell down. I was kicked several times. The whole time they were beating me, I was begging them to stop, telling them I wasn’t here the night before, I had nothing to to do with it, like please stop, please stop, and they didn’t.”
Armfield said between nine and 10 people ultimately attacked him; it isn’t known for sure how many of that group are on the football team, though the program’s involvement in the incident is being investigated.
“We are aware of the allegations involving a few members of our football team,” the program said in the statement when word of the altercation broke three weeks ago. “We are cooperating fully with the authorities. However, at this time, we have not received a police report and cannot provide further comment.”
While the status of the investigation is currently unknown, Armfield told WBKO he would like it to end with multiple charges. “I made it very clear that night when the police arrived on the scene that I wanted charges pressed,” he said. “As far as I know a detective from Bowling Green Police Department has it. As it stands right now, I still want charges pressed. They need to be held accountable for what they did not only as citizens but as students at Western.”