The sexual assault case allegedly involving a pair of Texas football players has not been closed, despite the comments of attorney Perry Minton.
Minton, who represents Longhorns linebacker Jordan Hicks, said in an email obtained by multiple media outlets on Wednesday that no charges will be filed against Hicks, quarterback Case McCoy or anyone else. Additionally, Minton called the case “closed.”
However, the San Antonio Police Department has told multiple outlets including KVUE and the San Antonio Express-News that it is still reviewing the incident and the case is not over.
One day before Texas played Oregon State in the Alamo Bowl, Longhorns coach Mack Brown said two players had been sent home for violating team rules. Though Brown did not say so himself, those players were reported to be McCoy and Hicks.
The suspension came shortly after a San Antonio news station reported that two UT players were at the center of a sexual assault investigation.
According to a description of the report from the San Antonio Express-News, “The woman said she met two men at a nightclub and invited them back to her room at the Holiday Inn Riverwalk. She admitted to drinking at least four alcoholic beverages before inviting them to her room… She told police one man had sex with her while the other stood and watched, but she didn’t remember the situation in detail.”
Minton previously stated that Hicks “vehemently asserts that all conduct that occurred during the evening of the incident was consensual by everyone involved. The allegation, if any, that a sexual assault occurred by anyone at anytime is completely false.”
Texas has not commented on the development.
McCoy primarily served as the Longhorns’ backup QB and Hicks spent most of the season sidelined with a groin injury.