Updated: Cierre Wood to add his name to the NFL draft pool

14 Comments

Coach Brian Kelly is staying at Notre Dame for at least another year. Running back Cierre Wood is not.

Wood’s mother and stepfather confirmed to Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune that the Notre Dame running back would forego his final year of eligibility and declare for the NFL draft. ESPN’s Joe Schad reported that Wood was going to declare earlier this morning.

The move shouldn’t be all that surprising. Wood’s mother told the Tribune in November that he was about “70-30” leaning toward leaving.

“I just know that him and his mother discussed it, and it’s something he was ready for, and she said she was going to back him up on any decision he made,” Wood’s stepfather told the paper.

Notre Dame is expected to release a statement on Wood’s decision shortly.

The redshirt junior would finish his career with 2,447 yards and 16 touchdowns. He was the team’s second-leading rusher this season with 742 yards, but had just two in a BCS championship loss to Alabama. Wood was suspended the first two games of the 2012 season for “violating team rules.”

For more on what Wood’s departure means for the Irish, check out Keith Arnold‘s blog at Inside the Irish.

Updated 2:45 p.m. ET: As expected, Wood released a statement through the university this afternoon confirming his intentions to declare for the draft. He will exit the program as its seventh-leading rusher of all time.

“Having to make a decision like whether to stay in school or leave to pursue a lifelong dream of playing in the NFL is never simple,” Wood said. “I had to weigh many factors over the last month, but ultimately it came down to what I felt was the right decision that would most benefit my family. With that in mind, I’m leaving Notre Dame and am entering my name for this year’s NFL Draft.

“There are so many people I need to thank that have helped get me to this point. My teammates are friends I know I’ll have the rest of my life. I’ll miss hanging out with them in the locker room and around campus. They are a great group of guys and are poised for success next year.

“I also want to thank all of the coaches, specifically Coach Kelly and Coach Alford. Coach Kelly has the program heading in the right direction and I’m happy to know he’ll remain our head coach in the future. Coach Alford has been so much more than a coach to me. He’s been a mentor and a role model. He’s helped turn me into the man I am today.

“Lastly, I want to thank the school, our fans and the extended Notre Dame family. The love and appreciation you’ve shown me in my four years can never be repaid. I’ll always remember the ovation I received as I ran out of the tunnel on senior day and I can’t thank you enough.”

Brian Kelly also stated:

Cierre has been an important member of our football team in my three years at Notre Dame and I appreciate all he did to help get our program back on top. I wish him well in the future and hope he has a successful playing career at the next level.”

Auburn RB Kamryn Pettway officially ruled out of Iron Bowl

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The 2017 season has officially turned into, essentially, a lost one for Kamryn Pettway.

Tuesday, head coach Gus Malzahn, by way of al.com, confirmed that Pettway will not play in the Iron Bowl against Alabama this Saturday because of a shoulder injury.  Late last month, Malzahn said he expected the running back to miss an extended period of time.

Suspended for the opener, Pettway returned but missed games in Week 4 and 6 because of an unrelated injury.  In the October 21 win over Arkansas, Pettway suffered what was ultimately diagnosed as a fractured scapula, the injury that has sidelined him ever since.

It’s unclear at this point in time if Pettway will be available for the SEC championship game, if the Tigers beat the top-ranked Crimson Tide, or a bowl game.

In limited action, Pettway has rushed for 305 yards and six touchdowns.  The latter total is still second on the Tigers, the former third.  Last season, Pettway led the Tigers with 1,224 yards.  The number was good for fourth amongst SEC running backs in 2016.

The Tigers; running game has remained in good hands despite Pettway’s absence as Kerryon Johnson‘s 1,172 yards leads all SEC backs.  Johnson’s 16 rushing touchdowns are also tied for seventh nationally.

Kansas players who refused to shake Baker Mayfield’s hand won’t be captains this week

Getty Images
1 Comment

I’m thinking, with this development, we can put crotch-gate to bed.

Three Kansas players serving as captains for the Week 12 Oklahoma game, Joe Dineen, Daniel Wise and Dorance Armstrong, for whatever reason refused to shake the hand of Baker Mayfield during their pregame meeting at midfield.  That set the tone for a chippy game that the OU quarterback took to another level by throwing a crotch grab at the KU bench that was caught on camera and led to the Heisman Trophy front-runner being suspended for the start of this weekend’s game.

Mayfield was also stripped of his captaincy, a move that left him near tears as this will be his final game in Norman.  While it may not mean as much to them, the Jayhawks trio responsible for the snubbing can certainly sympathize.

“That’s not how this game should be played,” a contrite Dineen told ESPN.com‘s Jake Trotter. “It won’t happen from me or from this program again.”

“First of all, that was absolutely unacceptable. I’ve had a conversation with [OU head coach] Lincoln Riley, and I’ve apologized on behalf of myself and our team,” KU head coach David Beaty said during Monday’s Big 12 coaches’ teleconference. “I want to also apologize to really our stakeholders, our Jayhawk fans, Jayhawks currently and all of the ones before us, because it means more to be a Jayhawk. That was a situation where we needed to make a better decision there. …

“It’s unfortunate, and I apologize to the Big 12 and really to college football, because it’s something that was absolutely unacceptable.”

Thorpe Award semifinalist Jeremy McDuffie to miss rest of Duke’s season

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Duke will be forced to navigate its way through the rest of the year, however long that is, without one of its top players on the defensive side of the ball.

The football program announced Tuesday that Jeremy McDuffie suffered an injury to his right knee in this past Saturday’s win over Georgia Tech.  The junior safety will undergo surgery next Monday to repair unspecified damaged ligaments and miss what’s left of the Blue Devils’ season.

At 5-6, Duke needs to beat Wake Forest this Saturday to become bowl-eligible.  The Blue Devils missed out on a bowl game last season after going to four straight for the first time in the program’s history.

After playing in 24 games the previous two seasons, including two starts, McDuffie had started all 11 games in 2017.  His three interceptions are tied for second on the Blue Devils, while his eight quarterback hits are tied for tops on the team.

Earlier this season, McDuffie was named a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, given annually to the nation’s top defensive back.

FCS player who punched coach charged with felony assault

Tennessee State athletics
6 Comments

Normally in-game violence doesn’t result in off-field legal ramifications, but this is (rightly) one of the rare exceptions.

Earlier this month, Tennessee State defensive end Latrelle Lee was not only dismissed from the FCS program but expelled from the university after he punched Tigers strength & conditioning coach T.J. Greenstone twice in the head on the sideline during a game.  Greenstone serves as TSU’s “get-back” coach for players, charged with keeping them from creeping toward the field of play and, in the process, keeping the team from drawing a flag.

The unprovoked assault was caught on video and quickly went viral.

As a result of that incident, Lee, who had been a criminal justice major prior to his expulsion, has been arrested on one count of felony assault, The Tennessean is reporting.  Lee was subsequently released Monday night after a $7,500 bond was posted, and has an initial court date scheduled for Dec. 8; he had been scheduled to graduate Dec. 9.

According to the arrest affidavit, “[t]he victim has subsequently been having medical difficulties as a result [of] the altercation.”

“We, of course, do not condone any act of violence within our department and are very disturbed by the action of one of our students,” a statement from athletic director Teresa Phillips released shortly after the Nov. 11 incident began. “We are committed to supporting the coach who was personally affected and our concern now is with him.”

Thus far, there has been no public comment from the football program or the university on this latest development, nor have they updated the status of the coach who was the victim of the assault.