Notre Dame v Oklahoma

Updated: Cierre Wood to add his name to the NFL draft pool


Coach Brian Kelly is staying at Notre Dame for at least another year. Running back Cierre Wood is not.

Wood’s mother and stepfather confirmed to Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune that the Notre Dame running back would forego his final year of eligibility and declare for the NFL draft. ESPN’s Joe Schad reported that Wood was going to declare earlier this morning.

The move shouldn’t be all that surprising. Wood’s mother told the Tribune in November that he was about “70-30” leaning toward leaving.

“I just know that him and his mother discussed it, and it’s something he was ready for, and she said she was going to back him up on any decision he made,” Wood’s stepfather told the paper.

Notre Dame is expected to release a statement on Wood’s decision shortly.

The redshirt junior would finish his career with 2,447 yards and 16 touchdowns. He was the team’s second-leading rusher this season with 742 yards, but had just two in a BCS championship loss to Alabama. Wood was suspended the first two games of the 2012 season for “violating team rules.”

For more on what Wood’s departure means for the Irish, check out Keith Arnold‘s blog at Inside the Irish.

Updated 2:45 p.m. ET: As expected, Wood released a statement through the university this afternoon confirming his intentions to declare for the draft. He will exit the program as its seventh-leading rusher of all time.

“Having to make a decision like whether to stay in school or leave to pursue a lifelong dream of playing in the NFL is never simple,” Wood said. “I had to weigh many factors over the last month, but ultimately it came down to what I felt was the right decision that would most benefit my family. With that in mind, I’m leaving Notre Dame and am entering my name for this year’s NFL Draft.

“There are so many people I need to thank that have helped get me to this point. My teammates are friends I know I’ll have the rest of my life. I’ll miss hanging out with them in the locker room and around campus. They are a great group of guys and are poised for success next year.

“I also want to thank all of the coaches, specifically Coach Kelly and Coach Alford. Coach Kelly has the program heading in the right direction and I’m happy to know he’ll remain our head coach in the future. Coach Alford has been so much more than a coach to me. He’s been a mentor and a role model. He’s helped turn me into the man I am today.

“Lastly, I want to thank the school, our fans and the extended Notre Dame family. The love and appreciation you’ve shown me in my four years can never be repaid. I’ll always remember the ovation I received as I ran out of the tunnel on senior day and I can’t thank you enough.”

Brian Kelly also stated:

Cierre has been an important member of our football team in my three years at Notre Dame and I appreciate all he did to help get our program back on top. I wish him well in the future and hope he has a successful playing career at the next level.”

FSU will be without Bobo Wilson, too, for Clemson

TALLAHASSEE, FL - OCTOBER 01: Jesus Wilson #3 of the Florida State Seminoles runs the ball during the game agains the North Carolina Tar Heels at Doak Campbell Stadium on October 1, 2016 in Tallahassee, Florida. (Photo by Jeff Gammons/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Derwin James isn’t the only starter Florida State will be missing when they take on Clemson in a huge ACC Atlantic matchup.

Thursday night, Jimbo Fisher confirmed that Bobo Wilson has officially been ruled out of Saturday’s game because of a foot injury. The wide receiver suffered the injury in the Week 7 win over Wake Forest.

As FSU was on a bye last weekend, this will be the first game the senior has missed because of the injury.

As the school noted, Wilson being sidelined will open up the opportunity for additional playing time for a trio of sophomore receivers: Nyqwan Murray, Da’Vante Phillips and Auden Tate.

“You’re talking about a guy who’s played a lot of games, played a lot of ball, done a lot of things, and played in a lot of big-time environments and atmospheres,” Fisher said of Wilson in quotes distributed by the team. “That all sounds good on paper.

“Now, do I think [these younger receivers] can go out there and play? Yes. Do I think they can be really good players? Yes. Have they practiced well? Yes. [Tate] has done more in games so far, but they have a chance to be really good players. I’m hoping they go out there and play.”

Tate leads the Seminoles with four touchdown receptions, and he’s done that with just eight receptions. Murray has five catches for 46 yards this season, Phillips four for 33.

Wilson, who is 10th in school history with 133 catches, is currently second on the team with 30 receptions for 390 yards in 2016. His 26 career starts are the most of any current Seminole offensive player.

Offense won’t be the only place where Wilson’s loss is felt as he is fourth in the nation heading into Week 9 with a 17.2 yards average on nine punt returns. One of those punts he returned 89 yards for a touchdown in the Week 2 win over Charleston Southern, the third-longest in school history and the program’s first of any length since 2012.

Starting Northwestern CB ruled out vs. Ohio State

Michigan State tight end Josiah Price, left, catches a pass for a touchdown against Northwestern's Trae Williams during the first quarter of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Oct. 15, 2016, in East Lansing, Mich. (AP Photo/Al Goldis)
Associated Press
Leave a comment

Struggling mightily in the passing game, Ohio State may have caught a bit of a break as the Buckeyes look to rebound from just their fifth in the four-plus years under Urban Meyer.

On Northwestern’s official injury report, cornerback Trae Williams is listed as out for the Wildcats’ Week 9 matchup with the Buckeyes in Columbus. Williams is dealing with an injury that the school has not specified.

The redshirt freshman also missed the Week 8 win over Indiana because of the injury.

Prior to that, Williams had started the previous four games, the first four starts of his collegiate career. This season, Williams has been credited with 20 tackles and has one of the Wildcats’ seven interceptions.

With Williams sidelined, Alonzo Mayo will get the start opposite Montre Hartage. The redshirt freshman made his first career start in place of Williams last weekend.

Louisville, WKU announce three-game series

LOUISVILLE, KY - SEPTEMBER 06:   Louisville Cardinals cheerleaders perform during the game against the Murray State Racers at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium on September 6, 2014 in Louisville, Kentucky.  (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A pair of FBS schools from the state of Kentucky will be getting back together on the gridiron after a sabbatical of nearly two decades.

Louisville and Western Kentucky announced Thursday that they have reached an agreement on a three-game series that will actually be played in the not-too-distant future. Two of the games will be played at the U of L’s Papa John’s Stadium in 2018 and 2020.

The third will be played at Nashville’s Nissan Stadium in 2019.

“It’s great for both schools that we were able to resume this series against an in-state school of Western Kentucky’s caliber,” U of L athletic director Tom Jurich said in a statement. “Because of the proximity of both schools, I think it’s a tremendous win for the state of Kentucky and each fan base. I’m thrilled we were able to lock down a three-game series versus WKU.”

“We are excited to begin a football series with the University of Louisville,” Jurich’s WKU counterpart, Todd Stewart, said in his statement. “These three games will be exciting for both fan bases and good for college football in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. We continually try to develop strong non-conference schedules each year while also focusing on regional match ups that enable our fans to attend games outside of Bowling Green. A series with Louisville checks all of those boxes, and we appreciate Louisville’s administration and football program for their efforts and cooperation.”

The two teams have met 31 times previously, with the first coming in 1922 and the most recent in 1998. The Cardinals hold a 19-12 advantage in the series.

The Hilltoppers are currently coached by former Cardinals quarterback Jeff Brohm.

Virginia Tech grabs control of ACC Coastal with win over Pitt

Virginia Tech quarterback Jerod Evans (4) throws the ball against Pittsburgh in the first half of an NCAA college football game Thursday, Oct. 27, 2016, in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/John Heller)
Associated Press
Leave a comment

It’s not quite over, but No. 25 Virginia Tech will be firmly entrenched in the driver’s seat of the ACC Coastal heading into the final month of the regular season.

Thanks in large part to 406 yards passing from Jerod Evans, Tech was able to survive off a fourth-quarter rally by Pittsburgh and secure a 39-36 road win Thursday night.  Evans’ performance was easily the best of his career, and just the second time he’s gone for 300-plus yards.  The first (307) for the first-year starter came just two weeks ago in a loss to Syracuse.

Evans was also part of an offense that rolled up a season-high 556 yards on the night.

With the win, Tech improves to 4-1 in conference play, tied with North Carolina for the Coastal lead.  However, by virtue of the Hokies’ Oct. 8 win over the Tar Heels, they control their own destiny in the division.  Tech has three league games remaining — at Duke (0-3) and home games against Georgia Tech (1-3)  and Virginia (1-2) — and, if they win all three, they will represent the division in the ACC championship game.  UNC would need to win out plus see Tech lose at least one game in order to win the division.

Pitt fell to 3-2, with those two losses coming to VT and UNC, meaning they have essentially eliminated themselves from Coastal contention.  In a losing effort, Pitt running back James Conner contributed 141 yards and three scores on the ground on just 19 carries.