Virginia v Virginia Tech

Logan Thomas returning to Hokies for senior season


After 24 hours or so of speculation regarding his football future, Logan Thomas will be where most originally thought he would and should be — back in Blacksburg for another season.

The Virginia Tech quarterback announced Tuesday afternoon that he will be returning to the Hokies for his senior season, eschewing an early leap to the NFL.  With rumors of a significant shakeup to Tech’s offensive coaching staff on the horizon, many thought Thomas would go against the long-held belief that he would return and leave for the draft instead of playing under a new coordinator in 2013.

In the end, however, Thomas couldn’t leave on the heels of a 7-6 2012 season that left “a bad taste in my mouth.”

“I’m deciding to come back to Tech to better myself and this team for the future,” Thomas said in a statement released by the school. “I’m looking forward to what this upcoming season holds. The NFL has always been a goal of mine, but the NFL will always be there while college is only a five-year experience that you can’t get back.”

Thomas informed the coaching staff yesterday of his decision.

As a redshirt sophomore in 2011, Thomas completed nearly 60 percent of his passes for just over 3,000 yards with 19 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.  He regressed significantly in 2012, barely completing 50 percent of his passes (51.3).  His passing yards dropped despite 38 more attempts, while his interception total jumped to 16; that was the fourth-highest total at the FBS level.

At 6-6, 260 pounds, Thomas certainly has the size to compete at the next level.  Another year at this level — even with a new coordinator — will likely do the player a world of good, however.

Virginia Tech will open the 2013 season in the Chick-fil-A Kick Game against two-time defending BCS champion Alabama, whose starting quarterback  AJ McCarron announced last month that he would be returning for his senior season as well.  Interestingly, another opener scheduled for the upcoming season will pit Clemson against Georgia, whose junior quarterbacks — Tajh Boyd for the former, Aaron Murray for the latter — announced this month they would also be turning down early entry into the NFL for another season at the collegiate level.

With Thomas’ decision official, there are just two known quarterbacks who have declared for early entry into the draft — Tennessee’s Tyler Bray and Eastern Washington’s Kyle Padron.

As it stands right now, a total of 74 players have declared for early entry.  An official list from the NFL is expected to be released Wednesday.

If a player has not signed with an agent, he has until Jan. 18 to withdraw his paperwork and return to school.

Dalvin Cook remains day-to-day for FSU vs. Miami

Dalvin Cook
Associated Press
1 Comment

One of the more underrated storylines heading into Week 6 continued its tack of uncertainty Tuesday.

During the first quarter of Florida State’s win over Wake Forest this past Saturday, Dalvin Cook tweaked his hamstring and didn’t return to the contest.  The sophomore running back was initially labeled as day-to-day for this weekend’s game against Miami, and that hasn’t changed as Jimbo Fisher reaffirmed that Cook’s status for the in-state rivalry game remains up in the air.

We’ll keep waiting,” the head coach said, adding that, because of Cook’s knowledge of the offense, he could sit out of practice the entire week and still take the field against the Hurricanes.

“He knows what to do, you can keep him healthy and do that there’s no doubt about that,” Fisher said.

Cook is far and away FSU’s leading rusher, with his 142.5 yards per game good for eight in the country and his six rushing touchdowns tied for 20th. The Seminoles’ No. 2 rusher, Mario Pender, is still dealing with the aftereffects of a collapsed lung that will sideline him for at least another week.

Ryan Simmons, one of Okla. St.’s ‘unquestioned leaders,’ out for rest of 2015

AUSTIN, TX - NOVEMBER 16:  Ryan Simmons #52 of the Oklahoma State Cowboys brings down Jaxon Shipley #8 of the Texas Longhorns during a game at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on November 16, 2013 in Austin, Texas.  Oklahoma State won the game 38-13.  (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Oklahoma State’s defense has taken what will likely prove to be a very significant and impactful blow.

On Twitter as well as Instagram late Tuesday night, Ryan Simmons announced that he “recently tore my MCL & PCL which will require surgery.” As a result, Simmons, who was injured in the Week 5 win over Kansas State, will miss the remainder of the 2015 season, even as OSU has yet to officially confirm the linebacker’s status moving forward.

Because Simmons is a senior, and this is his final season of eligibility, the end of his 2015 season would also mean the end of his collegiate career.

Simmons has started the last 31 games for the Cowboys. He was second on the team in tackles last season, and his 26 career tackles for loss makes him OSU’s active leader in that category as well.

On his official bio, it’s written that Simmons is “[o]ne of the unquestioned leaders of the team, both on and off the field.”