Bryan Bennett

Bryan Bennett to transfer from Ducks after all



Less than two weeks ago, a report surfaced that, after much consideration, Bryan Bennett had decided to remain at Oregon.  That report came after Bennett was all but out the door in August before staying, as well as late last month that he was once again strongly considering a transfer.

According to, and confirmed through two sources close to the situation, Bennett has decided once again to leave the Ducks.  Bennett will transfer to Southeastern Louisiana, the website says, where he will enroll as early as this week.

As Southeastern Louisiana is an FCS program, Bennett will be eligible to play immediately — provided the decision to transfer sticks of course.  At his new school, Bennett will get the opportunity to play the quarterback position; the website notes that Bennett would likely have been moved permanently to the defensive side of the ball had he stayed at Oregon, probably as a linebacker.

Oregon has yet to comment on Bennett’s future with the football program.

Bennett had been considered the heir apparent at the quarterback position after Darron Thomas inexplicably left UO early for the NFL.  However, Marcus Mariota performed well during spring practice last year and was officially named the starter toward the end of camp last August.  Given the fact that Mariota was a first-team All-Pac-12 performer and is just a redshirt freshman, the path back to a starting job was all but blocked for Bennett.

The redshirt sophomore Bennett attempted just 83 passes the past two seasons, including 37 in 2012.  A four-star member of UO’s 2010 recruiting class, Bennett was rated as the No. 15 pro-style quarterback in the country.

UPDATED 2:44 p.m. ET: Oregon confirmed Tuesday afternoon that Bennett has decided to transfer from the Ducks.

Butch Jones labels rumor of ‘physical altercation’ with Vols player ‘absolutely ridiculous’

ATHENS, GA - SEPTEMBER 27:  Head coach Butch Jones of the Tennessee Volunteers yells at Marquez North #8 during the game against the Georgia Bulldogs at Sanford Stadium on September 27, 2014 in Athens, Georgia.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Already in the crosshairs for his 2-3 team’s late-game failures, Butch Jones now finds himself under increasing scrutiny for something that allegedly happened a couple of months ago.

The website, which features such respected journalists Tony Barnhart and Mike Huguenin among others, reported earlier today that the Tennessee head coach was involved in what was described as a “physical altercation” with senior offensive lineman Mack Crowder during summer camp this past August.  The source close to the program added that practice film that day captured the alleged incident, although it’s unclear if that tapes still exists.

From the site’s report:

The incident occurred during fall camp, about the time that news started to come out about a few offensive linemen who were considering stepping away from the program. Crowder walked off the practice field one day and missed a day or two of practice, and Brett Kendrick and Dylan Wiesman were said to be contemplating their futures. Sources say the players’ actions stemmed from an incident between Jones and Crowder.

The website also made a Freedom of Information request seeking any correspondence between the university and the Crowder family be turned over, but writes that UT “administrators said any sort of letter or correspondence that may or may not have happened was covered under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.”

Monday, Jones labeled what began as message-board speculation that he had struck one of his Vols players as “absolutely ridiculous.” The Knoxville News Sentinel contacted Crowder’s father, with the paper writing that “he had no comment and did not want to give validation to message boards.”

At least publicly, the university has yet to address the allegations.  Jones will get yet another chance to address the speculation with the media in the very near future.

Tulsa loses second-leading receiver to season-ending injury

NORMAN, OK - SEPTEMBER 14:   Wide receiver Keevan Lucas #2 of the Tulsa Golden Hurricane just misses a pass against the Oklahoma Sooners September 14, 2013 at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman, Oklahoma. The Sooners defeated the Golden Hurricane 51-20.  (Photo by Brett Deering/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

One of the most productive pass-catching duos in the country has been cut in half.

Tulsa head coach Philip Montgomery confirmed Tuesday that Keevan Lucas sustained a torn patellar tendon  in the third quarter of Saturday’s loss to Houston.  As a result, the wide receiver will miss the remainder of the 2015 season.

“He’s such an emotional leader for us and such a great kid,” the first-year coach said. “We’ll have to make a few adjustments offensively and move some people around and try to make sure we’ve got guys in the right spot but also guys who will step up and be ready to play.”

Lucas is currently second on the team with 26 receptions and 409 receiving yards, behind Keyarris Garrett‘s 33 and 539. His five receiving touchdowns, though, are tops on the team.

Montgomery expects Lucas to be healthy enough to participate in spring practice next year.