Robert Nkemdiche

Consensus No. 1 recruit to visit LSU


While most recruiting experts fully expect Robert Nkemdiche to sign with Ole Miss next week, the consensus No. 1 player in the Class of 2013 has decided to throw a little intrigue — and some Oxford angst — into the process.

On his Twitter account Thursday night, the uncommitted defensive end and self-described Aceboogie_001 confirmed that he would be taking a visit this weekend to another SEC West school. “LSU tomrrow [sic] what up!” Nkemdiche wrote.

The visit to the Tigers is eyebrow-raising to say the least.  Following an official visit to Ole Miss last weekend, Sunday Nkemdiche, the player’s father, told that he “did not expect his son to take any more official visits,” specifically adding “there would not be a trip to LSU this weekend.”

The LSU development is the latest twist that normally comes with the recruitment of the top player in the country.

The Georgia high schooler surprised many by verbally committing to Clemson in June of last year.  Five months later, and after some very public posturing on the part of his mother, Nkemdiche surprised almost no one by decommitting from Clemson.

Nkemdiche acknowledged in late December that he was still considering Alabama (his mom’s preference), Clemson, Florida, Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss, although that list was ultimately whittled down to the latter two.  The Gators had been in his final three as recently as two weeks ago, although they have (presumably) been eliminated.

Denzel Nkemdiche, the recruit’s brother, is a rising sophomore linebacker with the Rebels and, aside from Hugh Freeze and his coaching staff, is the single biggest reason why Ole Miss is a player in this high-stakes recruiting game.

Nkemdiche is expected to announce his school of choice at 7:30 a.m. ET Wednesday.

Former Texas A&M WR Thomas Johnson arrested on murder charge

Thomas Johnson
Associated Press

A very disturbing story has emerged out of Dallas, where former Texas A&M wide receiver Thomas Johnson sits in a Dallas County jail cell after allegedly admitting to hacking an unsuspecting jogger to death with a machete.

Just before 8 a.m. Monday, authorities say Johnson went to White Rock Creek Trail, a popular jogging trail in northeast Dallas, and randomly slashed a jogger to death. “It appears Mr. Johnson picked this victim at random. Absolutely random,” Deputy Chief Rob Sherwin told the Dallas Morning News. “He just attacked him. … It’s just very unusual. It’s quite shocking.”

Johnson then walked away from the scene in search of a cell phone. An onlooker had already dialed 911, and when police arrived Johnson allegedly told them there was a man “laying down with a sword in his head and not moving.”

“I just committed capital murder,” Johnson said and then repeated, according to his arrest affidavit. The only motive police reported was that Johnson was angry at his situation in life at the time of the slaying.

The victim, an unidentified male between the age of 25 and 35, passed away at a nearby hospital.

Johnson, meanwhile, remains in a Dallas County jail in lieu of $500,000 bail.

Johnson was a highly-regarded member of Kevin Sumlin‘s first recruiting class at Texas A&M. As a true freshman in 2012, the Dallas native caught 30 passes for 339 yards and one touchdown through the Aggies’ upset of then-No. 1 Alabama and then simply… disappeared. He went missing for three days in November 2012 before turning up back home in Dallas. His mother told the San Antonio Express-News last April Johnson would like to return to college football, but a return to the game never materialized.

No punishment from SEC for Bielema’s sideline interaction with Alabama player

Bret Bielema

Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema will not be disciplined by the SEC office for his brief interaction with Alabama offensive lineman Cam Robinson last weekend. A video showing Bielema exaggerating his interaction with Robinson at the end of a play was reviewed by SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, and the commissioner has discussed the situation with the Razorbacks coach.

“I visited with Bret over the phone on Monday and we discussed the play that has now become widely reviewed through a brief video clip,” Sankey said in a released statement. “Football is played in an intense competitive environment and I reminded him of the need for head coaches to resolve with their own players issues that may arise, which was his intent. The unsportsmanlike penalty assessed on the play was not directly associated with Bret’s efforts to intervene at the end of the play and we are moving forward in a positive manner.”

That appears to be the end of the discussion regarding Bielema’s act. I personally think there should have been some more done here by the league’s commissioner, but we will see if Bielema avoids putting himself in a similar position moving forward.