Darrell Hazell

Purdue announce 2013 recruiting class

(Below is Purdue’s press release on the players added as part of its 2013 recruiting class.)

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Purdue head football coach Darrell Hazell announced the signing of 23 student-athletes to National Letters of Intent to play for the Boilermakers.

The class features three early enrollees in quarterback Danny Etling, defensive end John Strauser and running back David Yancey.

The group hails from seven different states, with five each from Georgia, Florida and Ohio, three each from Illinois and Indiana and one each from Kentucky and Texas.

(Writer’s note: below the jump are the complete bios of all 23 members of Purdue’s 2013 recruiting class.)

Matt Burke
6-6 / 220
West Palm Beach, Fla./Cardinal Newman

• Rated as a three-star prospect by Rivals.com.

• Caught 29 passes for 343 yards and six touchdowns as a senior.

• 2013 U.S. Army All-American Bowl participant.

• Ranked as the No. 10 area prospect (out of 60) by the Palm Beach Post.

• Caught 23 passes for 242 yards and six touchdowns as a junior.

Keith Byars III
5-10 / 200
Boca Raton, Fla./Milford Academy/Boca

• Played one season at Milford Academy in New York.

• Rated as a three-star prospect by Rivals.com coming out of Boca Raton High School.

• Rushed for 655 yards and nine touchdowns as a senior at Boca Raton in 2011.

• Finished with 484 and seven scores as a junior.

• Son of former Ohio State standout and 13-year NFL veteran Keith Byars.

Leroy Clark
5-10 / 175
Miami, Fla./Archbishop Carroll

• Rated as a four-star recruit and the No. 37 athlete in the nation by ESPN.com.

• Three-star prospect and the No. 64 cornerback in the nation by Rivals.com.

• Had 80 tackles, four forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and two interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown as a senior.

• Participated in the 2013 Private vs. Public Game in Miami in January.

Johnny Daniels
6-5 / 255
Chicago, Ill./Foreman

• Amassed 43 tackles (10.8 per game) in merely four games as a senior, finishing with eight tackles for loss with one sack

• Had with 43 tackles, including seven for losses with three sacks, and three fumbles forced as junior.

• Preseason Top 100 player in the Chicago area.

• Two-year team captain.

• All-City Team “Chicago Big Shoulders” as a junior and senior.

• 2012 Defensive Player of the Year.

Dalyn Dawkins
5-9 / 175
Louisville, Ky./Trinity

• Four-star recruit and the No. 36 running back nationally by Scout.com.

• Three-star prospect and the No. 9 player in Kentucky by Rivals.com.

• 2012 Louisville Courier-Journal second-team All-State selection.

• As a senior, ran for 1,479 yards and 18 touchdowns, while catching five touchdowns on 38 receptions for 367 yards.

Danny Etling
6-3 / 218
Terre Haute, Ind./Terre Haute South Vigo

• Mid-year enrollee.

• Rated as a four-star prospect and listed as the No. 9 “Pro-Style Quarterback” by Rivals.com.

• Four-star prospect, ranked No. 175 on the Top 300 and the No. 12-ranked “Pro-Style Quarterback” by ESPN.com.

• Listed by MaxSports.com’s Tom Lemming as the No. 20 “Pro-Style Quarterback” in the nation among the 2013 class.

• Participated at the 2013 Offense-Defense All-America Bowl Game in Houston.

• Selected as one of 25 prep quarterbacks nationally to compete at the Elite 11 finals in Redondo Beach, Calif., last summer.

• As a senior, threw for 1,505 yards and 11 touchdowns for South Vigo

• Cousin, Joe Holland, was a four-year starter at linebacker for the Boilermakers from 2008-11.

Danny Ezechukwu
6-3 / 240
Lithonia, Ga./Arabia Mountain

• Listed as a three-star prospect by ESPN.com.

• Named 6-AAAAA All-Region first team.

Keyante Green
5-9 / 205
McDonough, Ga./Eagle’s Landing Christian

• Four-star prospect, No. 266-rated overall player in the nation and No. 23-ranked running back by ESPN.com.

• Three-star recruit by Rivals.com.

• Three-star prospect by 247sports.com.

• The-star recruit by Scout.com.

• Rushed for over 1,200 and 17 touchdowns as a senior.

Ra’Zahn Howard
6-4 / 315
Dawsonville, Ga./Atlanta Sports Academy

• Third team All-State selection at defensive tackle and helped lead Asbury Park High School (New Jersey) to NJSIAA state championship in 2011.

• Keyed Asbury Park defense which allowed just 464 rushing yards all season.

• Named as the Class B Central Defensive Player of the Year.

• Had 68 tackles with 12 sacks and 15 quarterback hurries.

• Also three fumbles forced and 31 tackles for loss.

• Named first team All-Shore Conference.

• Finished with 57 tackles and had 10 sacks as a junior at Winslow Township High School.

Da’Wan Hunte
5-10 / 180
Miami, Fla./Miami Central

• Rated as a three-star prospect by ESPN.com.

• Three-star recruit by Rivals.com

• Helped lead Miami Central High School to back-to-back Class 6A state titles his junior and senior seasons.

• Finished with 68 total tackles, a fumble forced, a fumble recovered and two interceptions as a senior.

• Recorded 87 tackles with two fumbles recovered and two interceptions as a junior.

Tyvel Jemison
5-11 / 175
Fort Wayne, Ind./Bishop Luers

• Three-star prospect, the No. 10-ranked player in Indiana and No. 52 cornerback nationally by Rivals.com.

• Three-star prospect and No. 94 cornerback nationally by Scout.com.

• High School, Bishop Luers, won four consecutive Class 2A state titles during prep playing career.

• Had five interceptions and 81 tackles as a senior.

• Registered 67 tackles, eight tackles for loss and three forced fumbles as a junior.

Austin Logan
6-0 / 190
Tallahassee, Fla./Florida

• Three-star recruit and the No. 26 safety in the nation by ESPN.com.

• Three-star prospect by Rivals.com.

• Finished with 50 tackles, 38 solo, with six tackles for loss with a sack as a senior.

• As a junior, had 38 total tackles, including 29 solo stops, two interceptions, including one for a score, had five pass breakups, forced two fumbles and recovered two fumbles.

Antoine Miles
6-3 / 250
Canton, Ohio/McKinley

• Three-star prospect and the No. 68 player in Ohio by Rivals.com.

• Three-star recruit and No. 55 defensive end nationally by ESPN.com.

• Three-star recruit and the No. 70 defensive tackle in the nation by Scout.com.

• Had 73 tackles, including 17 tackles for loss and 12 sacks, during senior season.

• Played in the Semper Fidelis Bowl in Carson, Calif., in Jan.

Dan Monteroso
6-3 / 185
Saint Clairsville, Ohio/Saint Clairsville

• Three-star prospect and the No. 72 player in Ohio by Rivals.com.

• Three-star recruit and No. 128 wide receiver nationally by Scout.com.

• Three-star prospect and No. 133 wide receiver nationally by ESPN.com.

• Named first team Division IV All-Ohio after a state runner-up finish.

• Had 68 catches for 1,483 yards and 17 touchdowns as a senior in 2012.

• Also an accomplished basketball player, ranks among the top 25 scorers in Ohio.

Myles Norwood
6-0 / 185
Arlington, Texas/Grace Prep

• Three-star prospect by ESPN.com.

• First team all-district on both offense and defense in 2012 and offense only in 2011.

• Second team all-state on defense as a senior in 2012.

• First team all-state on offense as a junior in 2011.

• Had 47 receptions for 1,010 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2011.

• Honorable mention all-state on offense as a sophomore in 2010.

Evan Panfil
6-5 / 240
New Lennox, Ill./Lincoln Way Central

• Three-star prospect and the No. 33-ranked player in Illinois by Rivals.com.

• Three-star recruit by ESPN.com.

• Had 55 tackles and nine sacks as a senior

• Three-year varsity starter.

• Grandfather, Ken, uncle, Vince, and cousin, Jeff, all played football at Purdue.

• Uncle, Barry Panfil, played for the Miami Hurricanes and won national championships in 1987 and 1989.

Dezwan Polk-Campbell
6-4 / 215
Columbus, Ohio/Whetstone

• Three-year starter in football.

• Two-time all-city selection.

• Had 93 tackles, including 34 for losses with nine sacks, an interception, five fumbles forced and three touchdowns as a senior.

• Finished with 63 tackles, including five for losses with four sacks as a junior. Also had an interception and two fumbles recovered.

• Had 60 tackles, including three sacks, with a pair of interceptions and a fumble recovery as a sophomore.

• Also competes in track and field, running as part of the 4×100 and 4x400m relay teams and in the high jump.

Jake Replogle
6-4 / 240
Centerville, Ohio/Centerville

• Three-star prospect by Rivals.com.

• Three-star recruit by Scout.com.

• Three-star prospect by ESPN.com.

• Brothers, Tyler, Mike and Adam, all played football at Indiana.

• Finished with 46 tackles, with 8.5 sacks, a fumble forced and a fumble recovered as a senior in 2012.

• Had 42 tackles, including 13 for losses with six sacks, as a junior in 2011.

John Strauser
6-4 / 235
Champaign, Ill./Saint Thomas More

• Mid-year enrollee.

• Three-star prospect and 35th-ranked player in Illinois by Rivals.com.

• Named an all-area player at St. Thomas More by the News-Gazette following the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

• Two-way all-conference selection in 2012, setting a school record for tackles as a junior (146) and following up with 142 as a senior.

• Had eight tackles for loss in 2012 and 24 in his career.

• Uncle, Paul Chryst, is the head football coach at Pitt.

Johnny Thompson
6-3 / 200
Winder, Ga./Apalachee

• Three-star recruit by Rivals.com.

• Three-star prospect by Scout.com.

• First team all-region tight end as a senior. Due to injuries, started three games at right tackle and seven at tight end. Finished with seven tackles for loss with two sacks on defense.

• 2012 Athens Banner Herald preseason “Terrific 10” selection.

• Second team all-region as a junior after finishing with 52 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, one sack and a forced fumble.

• Honorable mention all-region as a sophomore with 42 tackles, nine tackles for loss, five sacks, a fumble forced, a fumble recovered and an interception in 2010.

Jason Tretter
6-6 / 300
Richfield, Ohio/Revere

• Three-star prospect by ESPN.com.

• Associated Press Division II second-team All-Ohio selection as a senior and first-team All-Suburban League.

• Will play in the All-Ohio North-South game in April.

David Yancey
5-10 / 205
Saint John, Ind./Lake Central

• Mid-year enrollee.

• Three-star prospect and the No. 22 player in Indiana by Rivals.com.

• Three-star recruit and No. 92 running back in the nation by Scout.com.

• Three-star prospect by ESPN.com.

• Rushed for 1,345 yards and 16 touchdowns while helping to lead Lake Central High School to a Duneland Conference championship as a junior in 2011.

• Finished with 1,168 yards and 17 touchdowns in 2012 before injury derailed senior season.

Deangelo Yancey
6-2 / 200
Atlanta, Ga./Mays

• Three-star prospect by ESPN.com.

• Three-star prospect by Rivals.com.

• Three-star recruit by Scout.com.

• Had 29 catches for over 600 yards and eight touchdowns his senior season.

• Finished with 28 receptions for 561 yards and seven touchdowns as a junior.

• Named 6-AAAAA All-Region first team, as well as second team All-State.

Federal fugitive arrested at home of Buffs players following hours-long standoff

BERKELEY, CA - SEPTEMBER 27:  Colorado Buffaloes head coach Mike MacIntyre argues with lines judge Michael Feldman during their game against the California Golden Bears at California Memorial Stadium on September 27, 2014 in Berkeley, California.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)