The 99th Rose Bowl Game - Wisconsin v Stanford

Alvarez: Big Ten agrees to swear off future FCS creampuffs

43 Comments

For every Appalachian State-Michigan game that does college football’s heart good, there are dozens of Savannah State-(Oklahoma State, 84-0)(Florida State, 55-0) artery-clogging debacles that are yearly embarrassments to the sport.

For its part, one conference has decided to take the necessary steps to end the “ridiculous” and “not very appealing” scheduling of FCS football programs for what amounts to nothing more than in-season scrimmages.

During his monthly radio show Tuesday night, Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez told WIBA-AM his counterparts in the Big Ten have reached an agreement to stop scheduling games against FCS programs.  While such a move likely means the conference will load up on even more MAC-like teams, it’s a step in the right direction for the sport.

The nonconference schedule in our league is ridiculous,” Alvarez said by way of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. “It’s not very appealing. …

“So we’ve made an agreement that our future games will all be Division I schools. It will not be FCS schools.”

(Your move, SEC)

It’s not exactly clear when this agreement will go into effect — the Badgers will host FCS-level Tennessee Tech the second week of the season — although the Journal-Sentinel writes that “the likely starting point would be the 2014 season, when Maryland and Rutgers are set to join the Big Ten.”

The biggest issue as far as not scheduling future games against FCS programs is the fact that the conference already has a plethora of future games scheduled against FCS programs.  In fact, just one B1G member — Penn State — has no future games scheduled against lower-level programs.  Michigan (App. St., 2014), Ohio State (Florida A&M, 2013) and Wisconsin (Tennessee Tech, 2013) are the only members with one such game on their future schedules.

Iowa, future member Maryland, Minnesota and Northwestern all have one FCS program scheduled every year through 2016, while Illinois, Purdue and Rutgers have one scheduled for each of the next three years.  Michigan State is slated to play an FCS team once in three of the next four years.

The move to eliminate future games against FCS teams comes at the same time as the Big Ten is looking to move to nine (probable) or 10 (unlikely) conference games.  It also comes ahead of the implementation of a playoff system to determine a national champion, which will presumably take into account strength of schedule when setting the four-team (for now) field.

Ex-Florida DB J.C. Jackson won’t head to South Carolina after all

LEXINGTON, KY - SEPTEMBER 29: A football helmet on the field for the South Carolina Gamecocks against the Kentucky Wildcats at Commonwealth Stadium on September 29, 2012 in Lexington, Kentucky.    (Photo by John Sommers II/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It appears Will Muschamp‘s Columbia reunion with one of his former Florida players won’t come to fruition as first thought.

Last months, reports surfaced that J.C. Jackson could be headed to South Carolina to join Muschamp’s first-year Gamecocks football program.  However, 247Sports.com is now reporting that Jackson will not enroll at USC.

“Sources indicate Jackson is not eligible to transfer to the Gamecocks in a ruling that’s beyond South Carolina’s control,” the site wrote.

Instead, sources indicated to the recruiting website that Jackson will likely end up at Maryland.  The Terps’ first-year coach, D.J. Durkin, was Muschamp’s defensive coordinator with the Gators when Jackson was a defensive back with the team.

Facing three felony charges in connection to an armed home invasion robbery, Jackson “transferred” from UF in May of last year.  He was ultimately acquitted on all of those charges, and is currently enrolled at a California junior college.

A four-star member of the Gators’ 2014 recruiting class, Jackson was rated as the No. 21 corner in the country; the No. 37 player at any position in the state of Florida; and the No. 243 recruit overall by Rivals.com.  He played in the 2014 opener, but missed the remainder of the season with a shoulder injury.  Exiting the spring, Jackson was expected to take a starting job into summer camp in 2015 prior to the legal issues arising.

If Jackson lands at Maryland, or any other FBS program for that matter, he would be eligible to play immediately in 2016.  The redshirt sophomore would then have three seasons of eligibility at his disposal.

Carson Lydon expected to leave Virginia Tech, transfer elsewhere

Leave a comment

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: a college football player has decided to leave his original home and look elsewhere.

The latest to be hit with attrition via a transfer is Virginia Tech, with the Hokies confirming speculation that Carson Lydon is no longer with the team and intends to transfer to an undetermined location.  No reason was given for the linebacker parting ways with the program.

Should Lydon decide to move on to another FBS program, he’d likely have to sit out the 2016 season, leaving him with three seasons of eligibility remaining beginning with the following season.

Lydon was a three-star member of the Hokies’ 2015 recruiting class coming out of high school in Florida.  In addition to Tech, Lydon held offers from, among others, Boston College, Cincinnati, Duke, North Carolina State, Rutgers and Syracuse.

As a true freshman last season, Lydon played in 11 games.

Miami suspends LB Juwon Young amidst luxury vehicle questions

CHAPEL HILL, NC - NOVEMBER 14:  T.J. Logan #8 of the North Carolina Tar Heels dives into the end zone for a touchdown as Juwon Young #51 of the Miami Hurricanes defends during their game at Kenan Stadium on November 14, 2015 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. North Carolina won 59-21.  (Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

Earlier in the day, reports coming out of South Florida indicated that Juwon Young‘s time as a member of the Miami Hurricanes could be coming to an end.  While it’s not at that point yet, there has been one confirmed development on that front.

Early Friday afternoon, UM announced that Young has been indefinitely suspended from the football program.  The only stated reason was the vague “violation of department rules.”

According to a report, the suspension seemingly stems from the university’s investigation into a potential NCAA violation.  From the Miami Herald:

Multiple people inside the UM football program do not expect Young to be on the team this season. One source cautioned that he’s in limbo and it’s still possible he could return but he’s not in a good position.

The matter, according to a source, involved Young gaining use of a luxury vehicle from a car agency. It’s unclear if Young paid for the vehicle or if he intends to.

As for additional specifics for the suspension itself?

The Herald‘s report went on to note that star defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad is being investigated for his involvement with the same agency; as of now, Muhammad remains an active member of the program.

As UM’s NCAA probation doesn’t end for another four months, the university is looking to get as far ahead of this situation as possible.

Young appeared in 14 games the past two seasons, including 10 in 2015.

Muhammad, a redshirt junior, played in 12 games in 2015, leading the team in both tackles for loss (8.5) and sacks (five).  He underwent a minor surgical procedure in late April to repair an issue in one of his knees.

Acquitted on all charges, return to CMU for Malik Fountain could be in the offing

EAST LANSING MI - SEPTEMBER 26: Malik Fountain #31 of the Central Michigan Chippewas makes the stop on Madre London #28 during the first quarter of the game on September 26, 2015 at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan. (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A legal victory in court could lead to one defender’s return to the Central Michigan football team.

Facing trial on four misdemeanor counts, Malik Fountain (pictured, No. 31) was found not guilty on all four counts by an Isabella County (Mich.) jury that took less than an hour to come to their decision. “In a move never seen before by defense attorney Joseph Barberi, jurors in the Malik Fountain trial filed out of the Isabella County Courthouse Thursday morning and hugged Fountain, his mother, father, sister and brother,” the Mount Pleasant Morning Sun wrote.

Fountain was arrested in April of this year and charged with two counts of assault, one count of aggravated assault and one count of jostling in connection to a December incident.

In the incident, Fountain was accused of hitting two women, one of whom claimed she needed surgery on her nose after being struck. One witness claimed another man threw a drink on Fountain and another individual and a fight broke out between the groups.

Fountain denied hitting any women during the imbroglio, and could’ve taken a plea deal on only the jostling charge but wanted to clear his name entirely by taking it to trial.

Based on the university’s student handbook, Fountain, indefinitely suspended since his arrest, would be eligible to return to the team immediately. However, that’s a decision that will be made after the player and his head coach, John Bonamego, discuss what to do moving forward.

After redshirting as a true freshman, Fountain played in all 13 games last season. His 67 tackles were third on the Chips, while his 4.5 tackles for loss were tied for second.