Winter Weather South

‘Bama bans three players charged in robberies from campus

The three Alabama football players charged in the beating and robbery of two UA students have been banned from the Tuscaloosa campus, the school confirmed Thursday night.

A school spokesperson told Birmingham News that linebacker Tyler Hayes, defensive lineman D.J. Pettway and defensive back Eddie Williams “have been interim suspended and are not allowed to be on campus pending UA’s judicial review.”  That review is expected to conclude by the end of next week.

Running back Brent Calloway, who was charged with fraudulent use of a credit/debit card in connection to the case but did not take part in the alleged robberies, has not been barred from campus.

Hayes, Pettway and Williams were charged with two counts each of second-degree robbery, with those charges classified as felonies.  Williams was also charged with fraudulent use of a credit/debit card, one day after he was charged with carrying a pistol without a license in an unrelated incident.

Hayes and Williams admitted to police that they had attacked, beaten and robbed the first victim, while Williams admitted to doing the same to the second victim.  Per police reports, all three of those players banned from campus were present during the course of the robberies, although Pettway has yet to admit being an active participant.

A friend of the first victim, who suffered facial lacerations, a mild concussion and severe swelling as a result of the beating, described to the school’s student newspaper the shape in which he found his friend shortly after the attack.

His left side of his face was gigantic,” UA student Chris Burks told the paper earlier this week. “The jacket he was wearing and his headphones were completely drenched in blood, the bottom half of his face was completely covered in blood; he was bleeding badly from his lip. He had clearly been badly beaten.”

All four players were suspended indefinitely by head coach Nick Saban Tuesday, one day after they were arrested and charged.

James Pierre, three-star 2016 signee, given release from UNC

5 Sep 1998:  General view of the mascot for the North Carolina Tar Heels displayed during the game against the Miami Ohio Redhawks at the Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The Redhawks defeated the Tar Heels 13-10. Mandatory Credit: Chris Cova