‘Bama bans three players charged in robberies from campus

Winter Weather South AP

The three Alabama football players charged in the beating and robbery of two UA students have been banned from the Tuscaloosa campus, the school confirmed Thursday night.

A school spokesperson told Birmingham News that linebacker Tyler Hayes, defensive lineman D.J. Pettway and defensive back Eddie Williams “have been interim suspended and are not allowed to be on campus pending UA’s judicial review.”  That review is expected to conclude by the end of next week.

Running back Brent Calloway, who was charged with fraudulent use of a credit/debit card in connection to the case but did not take part in the alleged robberies, has not been barred from campus.

Hayes, Pettway and Williams were charged with two counts each of second-degree robbery, with those charges classified as felonies.  Williams was also charged with fraudulent use of a credit/debit card, one day after he was charged with carrying a pistol without a license in an unrelated incident.

Hayes and Williams admitted to police that they had attacked, beaten and robbed the first victim, while Williams admitted to doing the same to the second victim.  Per police reports, all three of those players banned from campus were present during the course of the robberies, although Pettway has yet to admit being an active participant.

A friend of the first victim, who suffered facial lacerations, a mild concussion and severe swelling as a result of the beating, described to the school’s student newspaper the shape in which he found his friend shortly after the attack.

His left side of his face was gigantic,” UA student Chris Burks told the paper earlier this week. “The jacket he was wearing and his headphones were completely drenched in blood, the bottom half of his face was completely covered in blood; he was bleeding badly from his lip. He had clearly been badly beaten.”

All four players were suspended indefinitely by head coach Nick Saban Tuesday, one day after they were arrested and charged.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Alabama Crimson Tide, Rumor Mill, Southeastern Conference, Top Posts
38 Responses to “‘Bama bans three players charged in robberies from campus”
  1. v2the4 says: Feb 15, 2013 11:11 AM

those three players Hayes, Pettaway and Williams, can kiss their Alabama careers goodbye now…..no way they will be getting re-instated now, and they better hope like heck that the judicial system goes easy on them.

Calloway may be able to survive, but he will probably get suspended for three or four games in the 2013 season if he allowed to come back, meaning he may miss the Va Tech and A&M games in September, along with Arkansas.

2. bigdinla says: Feb 15, 2013 11:17 AM

Step two complete, one more and they’re all gone

3. bigdinla says: Feb 15, 2013 11:18 AM

If Calloway is suspended 3-4 games, he would miss Va Tech and a&M

4. alligatorsnapper says: Feb 15, 2013 11:25 AM

Well, despite the snide comments posted by anti-Bama fans on previous posts, what I posted and knew is coming to pass. Saban runs a tight program. He “indefinitely suspended” the players, and that will turn into a “permanent suspension” or “expulsion.”

The next shoe to drop was the university, and it has now dropped. They are “barred from campus.” I knew something like this was coming as well. These young men may have not had strong male role models growing up, as many households today are headed by mothers, with no fathers around. If that was the case with these young men, they now had a great opportunity for great strong male role models in the coaching staff at Alabama.

These young men had the greatest opportunity of their lives out in front of them. They were in the epitome of excellence program in college football. Players from everywhere would give anything to be there. These young men have squandered this great opportunity.

I think v2the4 is correct in that Calloway has the only possibility of escaping the death penalty with the Crimson Tide, and his possibility is less than 50%.

5. gatorprof says: Feb 15, 2013 11:43 AM

appropriate response by bama.

6. juiceboxsupply says: Feb 15, 2013 11:47 AM

let’em walk. bfd that nobody got whomped. these athletes have enough to worry about without being hassled by police who should be out solving real crimes. wtf has society come to when a football star cant get away with robbery?

7. friarjack61 says: Feb 15, 2013 12:48 PM

Sometimes, idiots make themselves know, when they takes side in these matters, or show a partisan side because of the institutions involved. This is not an issue for a fan or non-fan of any school involved in these matters. This is a character issue of the athlete who was recruited. In criminal issues, the school Presidents should be making the decisions, not the coach. Criminals should be expelled immediately, and in this case, 3 day were wasted before someone realized that academic matters were of no concern of these jocks. DO NOT protect those who have no interest in the book side of attending college: playing sports is a privilege, not a right. Learn more about backgrounds before awarding any sport participation.

8. sdemp says: Feb 15, 2013 1:25 PM

Its funny how you can kick the shit out of someone, steal their credit/debit card, carry an unregistered gun, and still not get as much scrutiny as Manti Te’o.

Time to wake up America.

9. mrlaloosh says: Feb 15, 2013 1:53 PM

I hear Manti Te’o beat his girlfriend.

10. Deb says: Feb 15, 2013 2:28 PM

@alligatorsnapper …

Excellent post!

@friarjack61 …

I agree with most of your post, until the part where you suggest schools should learn more about the kids’ backgrounds before recruiting. I don’t know anything about the kids in this particular situation, but arrests like these happen at all institutions and all schools do check the backgrounds of their recruits.

However, if a kid has no prior arrests or incidents, what more do you suggest? It’s impossible to look into another person’s heart and see what’s there. Consider Oscar Pistorius, the South African Olympic para-athlete now charged with murdering his girlfriend after numerous reports of domestic violence that were unknown to the public. He was a heroic figure and no one had any idea about what appears to be his very dark side. The same was true of O.J. Simpson. Ultimately, these recruits are responsible for their own behavior and the schools–like the justice system–can only react after the fact. That’s what Alabama is doing.

11. classyjacklambert says: Feb 15, 2013 2:32 PM

I can only assume that Juicebox was posting in a sarcastic manner. If not he needs serious help. This was a sick and heinous act that should be punished with extreme severeness.

12. banger60 says: Feb 15, 2013 3:04 PM

Throw the OG’S under the jail!

13. jason1214 says: Feb 15, 2013 3:34 PM

@sdemp
    Sad isn’t it? Excellent post.

14. tony34343434 says: Feb 15, 2013 4:02 PM

if they barred all criminals from campus the enrollment would be 3 people, lol!!

Pa-roll Tide
    Roll Dam Criminals!

15. imaduffer says: Feb 15, 2013 4:08 PM

10 to 1, One of these four will be arrested again within the next 30 days.

16. budmanjim says: Feb 15, 2013 4:10 PM

Thugs, get rid of them…. Don’t care which team you root for, get rid of the poison on your team… All teams have them..

17. jprcox says: Feb 15, 2013 4:16 PM

So what happens to the program? I mean other programs have sufferred greatly due to the actions of even 1 player/coach – doing things illegally. I agree there is no cover-up, but that has not nearly stoppped the NCAA from punishing the program for actions of members of the team/staff.

Let the thumbs down begin by Bama fans, but you can expect some major NCAA sanctions that could really effect your team. Otherwise its is unfair what the NCAA has done to other programs resulting in the bad actions of a couple people.

18. Deb says: Feb 15, 2013 5:18 PM

@jprcox …

So it wouldn’t be fair to let Alabama off when other football programs have been sanctioned because players were arrested?

Can you please provide one example of an NCAA football program that was sanctioned solely because members of the football team were arrested on felony charges? One example will do …

19. mancave001 says: Feb 15, 2013 5:25 PM

Pardon me…not to defend their alleged actions, but have they been convicted? If not, how can the school legally ban them from campus? I don’t see how they can get away with that.

20. gatorcheme says: Feb 15, 2013 5:46 PM

@friarjack61:

It’s called due process. Coaches and Universities have to ensure that they are making the right decisions. Sometimes it’s very easy and straight-forward, sometimes not. The full body of evidence must be considered as must the rights of the victims and the accused.

@mancave001:

Universities like UA have their own judicial process. They can’t send you to jail for anything (they pass that on to the proper jurisdiction). But they can make any academia-related decisions including barring a person from campus.

21. midwestwarrior says: Feb 15, 2013 5:54 PM

what is shocking, is that they already blew through all of the money nick saban paid them to come there and had to go rob people for more money. this is the equivalent of allen iverson blowing 145 million and is broke now. we all know these 3 clowns got paid big time money by scumbag saban and the rest of the bammer boosters, maybe saban should start giving recruits debit cards that he can personally fill up each month instead of straight cash and an escalade.

22. classyjacklambert says: Feb 15, 2013 6:13 PM

I agree with Deb, the NCAA has no business giving any sanctions to a program that responded appropriately to a first time incident involving it’s players. I don’t care for Alabama, but unless the NCAA can prove the school covered up previous incidents of this nature or somehow promoted this behavior, then the issue should be taken care of by the university and the local police.

23. 6stn says: Feb 15, 2013 11:07 PM

Banned from campus. Now they’ll never figure out where classes are held.

24. dcroz says: Feb 16, 2013 9:58 AM

Wow, all the butthurt from the haters on here is hilarious. “We all know” Saban pays his players, midwestwarrior? Got any figures you can back up with proof? Any booster names you want to throw out there? And I just love how when other teams sign top talent that it’s because they have wonderful facilities, great academics, long traditions, beautiful campuses, etc., but the only way Alabama can get people to come there is to pay them. Guess winning championships and putting players in the NFL counts for nothing, not to mention wonderful facilities, great academics, long tradition, beautiful campus, etc.

And for those crying about why this isn’t getting the scrutiny of Manti T’eo and his “girlfriend”: 1) seems to me that it IS getting a lot of discussion; 2) we haven’t had these guys and their “inspirational” stories talked about over and over and over again since last September; 3) they didn’t almost win a Heisman–but did win a ton of other awards–based solely on their “story”; and 4) while this is a straight-up robbery story that we are all too familiar with in our time, T’eo’s girlfriend-that-wasn’t was a bizarre mystery with more twists and turns than an Agatha Christie novel, and still has the feeling that we’ve not heard the whole story yet. Of course, you didn’t bitch about all the coverage T’eo was getting BEFORE all this was discovered, now did you?

25. tony34343434 says: Feb 16, 2013 10:45 AM

Funny Dcroz you are trying to deflect the heat off bama and that is why everyone hates them so much. just say these kids are bad apples and move on but you dont.

always on the attack. These kids committed a violent crime and the bama fans are wondering how many games they will miss instead of the black eye it gives the school. To compare a fake girlfriend to felony robbery is moronic.

football is all bama has so i can see why you defend the program because not much going on down there.

In the last few weeks you had

Deer Antler spray PED”S
    players arrested for FELONIES, VIOLENT ONES
    and of course the trial of a BAMA fan poisoning a tree because they cannot take that another school has a long standing tradition that does not involve them.

Funny how when other schools have problems i see bama fans all over the sites laughing and criticizing, look in the mirror BAMA has TONS of problems.

ROLL DAM Cheaters!- Deer Antler PED”S
    Roll Dam Poisoners!!!!- AUburn Tree
    Pa-Roll TIDE!!!!!!!!

Tip of the iceberg of crime at bama, i am sure saban covered up starters getting arrested.

as i said before, if they kicked off all the criminals off campus at bama the enrollment would be 3 kids!! ROLL DAMM CRIMINALSSSS

26. tony34343434 says: Feb 16, 2013 10:49 AM

THEY ONLY TOOK PED’S ONE TIME ALSO!

lol they took them all year just didnt get caught, that is big boy football cheat to win! sad that is what our society has become.

Roll Dam Cheaters, Roll Dam Criminals

27. dcroz says: Feb 16, 2013 2:12 PM

tony34343434:

If memory serves, you cheer for Notre Dame. Am I correct in that?

So, yeah I guess compared to what you have in South Bend, we’re the devil. I mean, you’re the symbol of purity, if you just ignore:

— Two players accused of rape this past season,
    — Killing a kid taping practice on a scissors lift in a windstorm,
    — The Catholic Church child abuse scandal (hey, if you can say Harvey Updike’s stupidity is directly related to the university, then this becomes fair game),
    — A player with a girlfriend he had never met during their entire three-year relationship who almost rode that story to a Heisman…until she turned out to be fake.

But aside from all that, yeah, you’re clean.

Oh, and on the PEDs: if you had bothered to read anything that has been posted on here or elsewhere, you’d know that numerous athletes at many schools also used this spray and/or patch, and that there is no evidence that the stuff in it works when taken in topical or oral form. Plus, while there was tape of the seller giving the players samples, there is no proof that they actually used it. Not only that, but the guy pushing this stuff claimed it was supposed to provide an instant boost to stamina, when again there is no medical evidence that this stuff works in such a fashion. And frankly, considering some of the other crap he was pushing, it becomes evident that this was just snake oil that only had a placebo effect, if any at all.

But, that’s right, logic just doesn’t apply when it comes to crying about ‘Bama, now does it? Especially when looking for excuses as to why your team got beat down the way they did.

As far as the players missing games: I’ve not seen or heard of a single Alabama fan either on here or elsewhere that have said anything about the three linked to the assault of having any future at all in Tuscaloosa. They want these guys gone just as much as everyone else. The only question has been about Brent Calloway, who used one of the assaulted guy’s debit card but has not been implicated in participating in the beatings.

But aren’t you supposed to be so much better educated than we Southerners? Surely if we are capable of reading and understanding that, you would as well. Guess not.

Tony, I can only hope that next college football season gets here soon. Otherwise, the price of Kleenex may skyrocket from the shortage created by you and other haters out there dabbing your reddened, tear-filled eyes from that mean-ol’ team from Alabama.

28. cupete says: Feb 16, 2013 2:15 PM

This is just why college football is getting to be really unbalanced. One of the reasons the SEC has been so dominant is the willingness of their schools (more than most) to take “student” athletes who can’t read, won’t graduate, and have a propensity to off the field violence and criminal behavior. Just because some kid is a five star recruit, doesn’t mean you have to admit him to your school. Kudos to Alabama for booting these thugs, but how about doing some work on the front end in screening these criminals out?

29. tony34343434 says: Feb 16, 2013 9:13 PM

dcroz
    learn to read and you can see that the first few posts were talking about when these kids were coming back, i know you went to bama so i know its hard to read but try.

second the history of bama is filled with Racism, bigotry, the KKK.

new history is PED”S, and now Felonies. violent ones.

be very proud of your school the graduation rate is about 30 percent for football.

big boy football cheating to win, we are better than that.

so keep your bama degree and your job bagging groceries at the piggly wiggly, and head to the trailer park.

30. swkbama says: Feb 16, 2013 10:03 PM

Tom343434, I hate to see all of the hatred from someone who knows so little about Alabama! As an Alabama graduate, I don’t know any Alabama fans who are not upset about this event. I personally do not want that kind of representation for our University. As for the academic attack, apparently you are unaware of the representation of Alabama students on academic all-American teams, of the number of National Merit Scholars, or of the success of the University Honors program. You also have not been keeping up with the number of Alabama players who are graduating early and entering graduate school.

31. tony34343434 says: Feb 17, 2013 10:17 AM

swkbama, the hatred comes from my school being attacked by ignorant bama fans for weeks and weeks. You are jumping into the game a little late. for weeks the ignorant bama fans attacked everything at my school even taking joy when a young man died at my university, nothing more disgusting than that, so if you dont want people hating your school look at the disgusting behavior of your own fans.

as to academics, bama was ranked the 77th school in the US. Lets not make it out to be something it is not.

32. amosalanzostagg says: Feb 17, 2013 11:49 AM

Tony,

Liz Seeburg, that tells everything about Notre Dame.

33. dcroz says: Feb 17, 2013 12:07 PM

Tony34343434:

Boo hoo hoo. Your widdle school got attacked by ‘Bama fans. I don’t seem to recall anyone taking joy at what happened with the videographer getting killed in that accident…aside from pointing out how the negligence of the coaching staff in having him up there during a storm with gale-force winds shows that Notre Dame makes its share missteps, too. And incidentally, your school took its lumps from fans across the board on that one, not just ones pulling for the Tide.

And I’m not sure what ranking system you’re using (there are several out there) but if it’s the US News and World Report one, that 77th ranking was out of, what, around 2,000 schools that they considered? Which would still put Alabama in the top five percent nationally? Hardly seems the stuff to be considered as an inferior institution in academics on the grand scale of things.

Face it, you’re still upset that your team got taken to the woodshed last month. Get over it.

34. swkbama says: Feb 17, 2013 1:19 PM

Cupete, You indicated that one of the factors of SEC dominance was their willingness to take recruits with a propensity for violence. I thought that you might like to know that one of the students arrested was a graduate of a Catholic high school with no record of disciplinary problems. He was heavily recruited and had offers from at least 35 major schools. I believe that means that more schools were involved than just the SEC. There was nothing to predict problem behavior. He has not admitted guilt, so we need to let the courts decide.

35. packerbadger says: Feb 18, 2013 3:34 PM

Deb: I agree with most of your post, until the part where you suggest schools should learn more about the kids’ backgrounds before recruiting.
    =================================

Like Alabama/SEC seeing if the kid even has a gpa, a rap sheet seven pages long or less, an IQ at least at room temp, and a ACT score of at least 12. Saban and Miles can at least train these guys to do a couple job duties; like run with football, catch football, and the really tough one….catch football before you run with football. Things my lab can be trained to do.

36. dcroz says: Feb 18, 2013 5:31 PM

packerbadger:

Like Alabama/SEC seeing if the kid even has a gpa, a rap sheet seven pages long or less, an IQ at least at room temp, and a ACT score of at least 12.

=================================

And yet, you would have been crowing up a storm if any of the above kids had found their way to Madison. Also, before I forget, you don’t seem to have a problem with any of these “dumb” players from Tuscaloosa when they wind up on the Packers’ roster.

Wisconsin: the land where a five-loss season is still a success as long as the Badgers go to Pasadena.

37. packerbadger says: Feb 19, 2013 12:37 PM

dcroz: Wisconsin: the land where a five-loss season is still a success as long as the Badgers go to Pasadena.
    ==================================

Thanks for reinforcing my point. You guys will “win” at all costs, even if you have to cheat your way there. You DIDN’T disagree with my statement, so I guess you agree with the points I made. You guys never seem to be able to talk about Alabama other than what football wins you guys get. The Packers don’t have to go to school and they get paid; just like the Alabama players. Thanks for reinforcing the statements I’ve made earlier about a more fair game would be the Packers against Crimeson Tide!

38. dcroz says: Feb 19, 2013 8:40 PM

packerbadger:

Whatever helps you to sleep better at night, dude.